rodent pets..

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by UrbanNinja, Jun 19, 2012.

1. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Over the last 10 years, ive always had pet rats. Sure they are not the most ideal pets for some, but I personally always enjoyed having them around. They done need much care and you can feed them just about anything. I haven't needed to use my garbage disposal in quite a while. Lol.

Sadly, yesterday two my rats passed away within minutes of eachother. It was pretty violently too. I dont know what they got into, but they both started urinating blood and having convulsions. They very rarely left the cage except when I would let them loose in the bathtub to go swimming for a while or they would sit on my shoulder. They never got anything except store bought rodent food and vegetables. Ive looked online for answers and nobody seems to have any input but it is not uncommon for this to happen with rats.

Curios to know if anyone has had experience with rodent pets and similar situations?

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Many rat poisons are nothing more than high doses of blood thinners like warfarin that kill through internal bleeding. Could someone have slipped something in the food?

3. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

No. They were in my bedroom and nobody has been in my house for over a month besides myself,wife and son.

My wife loved them dearly. They died in her hands. She called me at work ,crying hysterically and didn't know what to do. unfortunately the vet office was closed and they never would have made the car ride over. It all happened and ended with 15 minutes. The cage was cleaned once a week thoroughly. They also got a bath once a week. They were 2 years old and during their 2 years, we never changed the routine.

Rats have a life span of 2-3 years. As I mentioned earlier, ive owned rats before and had 5 pass away, but never like this. Ive wrapped my head around it so many times and can not come up with a conclusion.

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Sorry to hear about this brother, its a sad time when a family pet dies. I really wonder what they got in too?

5. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I really wish I knew. I have a dog that I need to worry about now. Hopefully he doesn't get into whatever it may have been. If something were to happen to the dog, it would be like losing a child. And I cant imagine dealing with the wife with the dog after as much as she was a mess yesterday.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It sounds like kidney failure. Sorry for your loss.

7. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

That was a theory I had. But would that cause the seizures?

By the way.. thank you guys for the thoughts.
    It is tough to lose a pet, even they are just rats.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Whatever caused the kidney failure could also have caused seizures or seizure like symptoms. No clue on the cause though.

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Didn't mean to imply anyone in your home, sorry for the confusion. There are a lot of sick fuc&s in the world that may have tampered with the food before you brought it home. Just a theory since the symptoms sound like poisoning of some sort.

10. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

No worries. I never took it that way. I had thought you meant if anyone had been in my home such as strangers,workers, friends,etc...

11. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I'm very lost on this. Ive ruled out food. As jpyle mentioned, I thought maybe someone slipped something into a box of food at the market, but my wife had told me that we've been out of the rat food for a few days and she had been giving the carrots and lettuce for 2 days. They never showed any sign of illness or fatigue. It all happened so fast.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Urban, just a remote possibility, that the lettuce and carrots had some residue of insecticide on them even after washing them that could have been enough over a period of a few days to cause poisoning. a small amount enough to kill the rats would probably have no effect to be noticeable in the size of a person. just a thought. sorry to hear about your pets.

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I would definitely have to lean towards they ingested something.

14. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Too many carrots will tear up a rabbi, not sure about rats.

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

What the hell you feeding carrots to a Rabbi for? :p

16. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Er, uh, rabbits. Don't drink whisky and type on a dumbphone. They were Jewish rabbits, though. Is there such a thing as kosher rabbits?

17. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Seems plausible. never thought of that. I am also going to check with my landscaper. They were out the other day, I'm wondering if they sprayed a weed killer or something and my fans brought it in the house.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that's possible. the amount that could kill a small animal the size of a rat, would likely have little effect on a human. if that's what did happen, very unfortunate accident and sad it happeded.

19. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Sorry about your rats man. I once had that happen to my dog. It was a result of my dog getting into what spilled out of a broken lava lamp. I would just check around for any types of spilled chemicals. You could always call a vet and ask what common house hold items could cause something like that.

20. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Thank you. The only thing in the form of chemicals or liquid near them would be some RemOil, but its about 6 feet away, and I haven't used it in the last 2-3 weeks. When I do use it, its nowhere near them.

I'm am pretty meticulous about leaving anything toxic around, not just because of the animals but also my 8 year old son. Ive tried to research some of the symptoms they had shown, but it points to multiple things and doesn't explain how both of them went at the same time. I'm just worried about the damn dog now.