Rock tumbler?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by jwjessup, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jwjessup

jwjessup New Member

My question is can I use a rock tumbler to clean brass like a brass spin tumbler, without damaging the brass? The brass that will be cleaned is 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 30-06 SPR, and 30-30 Win.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes. Just use the proper media like walnut shell which is very cheap at pet stores.

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I have been using a Thumbler's Tumbler for 35+ years for pistol and rifle brass. The media I use is Lyman Turbo Tumbler Media in Corncob Green. I cut a fabric softner sheet in four and the media lasts a long time with nice polished brass.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A rotary tumbler will polish just fine, it just takes longer than a vibratory one.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Picked up a little rotary tumbler, no container, at thrift shop, $2. Use a coffee can with snap on plastic lid, fill 1/3 full of brass and walnut shell media. Works well. Too much weight, will not turn. Plug it in in the shop, let run overnight.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

That is what everyone had to use before the vibratory ones came on the market.

7. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I bought mine at harbor freight about four months ago and its worked great for me. Ive cleaned probally 2000 pieces and its still going strong. I believe for the tumbler and the media it was a little over $50.

8. jwjessup

jwjessup New Member

Thank you for all the great responses.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Your drive belt is probably stretched. I have found that the larger plumbers O-rings make good drive belts. mine uses a 3.5".

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I use a Thumler's model B with warm water and Tide.

Much faster then regular media. (20 minutes)

11. jwjessup

jwjessup New Member

Thanks for that info that might possible be my next purchase.

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The Thumler's model b is large and can be used with either wash water or corncob/walnut media.

I have that and a large Lyman1200 vibratory. I use the rotary for 90 percent of my case cleaning.

13. jwjessup

jwjessup New Member

Thanks for the information, not only on this post but my other questions.