Rock River

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by 97cobra, Jul 3, 2012.

1. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

Anyone else see the polymer framed 1911 roc river is making?

2. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Just read about it. I like light weight 1911s for carry, but I think I'll stick to the ones with alloy frames. From what I've read, Rock River is not the first to do it & none of the others went over real well. Maybe they'll have better luck.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

From the ones I've seen advertised....

Even though they have RRA on the slide, they look like RIAs.

Why not go aluminum?

4. Bootsdeal

Bootsdeal New Member

I just looked it up on their website. It still weight over 32 oz, so what's the benefits of having one. I do believe the old tried and true is still the best way to go. If I wanted poly in a 45, I'd go with Springfield.

5. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I want one pretty bad. I want a truck gun that I don't need to worry about scratching up. Plus there original 1911s were top notch in quality. If they are even close to what they were for the price they are asking it will be a bargain. Besides I own 50 1911s so this would be something a little different but in the same platform. Other than a silly bias against certain types of 1911s which I have aka, will not own an external extractor 1911 because that is not a 1911, what's not to like.

6. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

50 1911's?

7. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Yea and I'm behind a few other guys. I bought three 2 weeks ago.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have seen it. It's not on my list to add to the collection.

To paraphrase the one, the only, Matt G -
    Matt said this on a couple of occasions and was a motto he stood by. I can't find anything wrong with the theory to tell you the truth. :cool:;)

JD

9. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Who the hell is Matt G.

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

You know, its mr and mrs G's son :)

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

One of the original, ORIGINAL members and one of the first Moderators here. Back when FTF would have a "busy" night with 50 people online... LOL

Matt is good people, had a ton of real world military experience and had a curious view on life that was fun to see pop up in threads. He hit a rough patch with his job and stuff, so he stepped down and left the forum for awhile. I hope he finds his way back someday because he was HIGHLY quotable and always good for a funny comment when things got out of hand.

JD

12. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Keep the 1911 old school polymer frame come on

13. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I saw that today this morning in a magazine at the ga station and had to look. I not so sure I like the idea of a polymer 1911. Doesn't seem right, but I did read in the article that several other manufacturers have tried and failed at making a polymer 1911.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

if your going to tote around any handgun with the idea you MAY need to use it as a club, do yourself a favor and be sure you have a force multiplier on the main spring housing.

[​IMG]

15. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Thanks for the info Jon I'm gonna look In to
    That better safe than sorry

16. porkchops

porkchops New Member

If your looking for a poly framed 1911 well I'm not sure. But if you're looking for a poly framed perfected .45 acp, come see me. Signed Gaston

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

when the Glock has been around for over 100 years and copied like the 1911, then we can discuss perfection. compared to the 1911, the Glock is still a new kid on the block.

don't get me wrong, the Glock is good design and a reliable pistol, but it just doesn't give a person the same warm fuzzies like a 1911 does. BTW, i have shot many Glocks over the years, and if one comes along at the right price i would buy it, and right now my polymer gun is a XDm40.

didn't want you to think i was a Glock hater and some 1911 fanboy!

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Meh. :rolleyes:

Is this the same Gaston that had NO intention of selling his wonder invention to the consumer/civilian public?

Because last I checked, you wanted to sell to the military exclusively and then "lowered" the standard to LEO.

When that failed to produce the sales quota you needed to offset the R&D, well, you "lowered" the bar again to us lowly civilians. :eek:

I have nothing against the design. It works. And anyone can shoot it, although I would rather not rely on them to protect my 6. :roll eyes:

Having said that the design is a solid one.

But if you are going to produce a "superior" design, then it should be available to EVERYONE EQUALLY.

JD

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i forgot about that Dillinger. that the Glock was originally intended for the military, then LEO, when that didn't pan out, then they went with civilian sales.

as far as i know, the 1911 was always available to everyone.

20. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

That's pretty interesting. I didn't know that glock was originally intended for military only.

That's why I love this forum, so many people with some much knowledge in one place one is bound to learn new stuff.