Rock River Varmint

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by humboldtshooter, Jan 23, 2012.

1. humboldtshooter

humboldtshooter New Member

I'm currently looking at the rock river varmint uppers, and can't decide how long of a barrel I should get. Can anyone help with the advantages of a longer or shorter barrel? Does anyone currently use this system? I'm finally done with m lower and am getting the itch to get it done.

2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Some of the answer has to do with how far you are going to be shooting in most cases. If we are talking 5.56 /.223 cal. I'd think a 20" length would be plenty for work out to 500 yards.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Decide on what distances you plan to shoot.

Choose what kind of bullets you intend to use.

Then choosing a barrel will be much easier.

4. humboldtshooter

Well my local range only goes to 200, but I'm in the process of finding a different location where I can shoot further. I've been shooting the federal American eagle 55g fmj out of my bolt action and will most likely be shooting the same int the AR, mostly because of cost. I'm kinda steering away from the 24". The 20" or 18" seem to be closest to the look I want, but have no clue which would be better or if there is a difference. I know the RRA varmint is a 1:8 twist, and don't know the effect barrel length will have on it.

5. humboldtshooter

I've been leaning towards the 20" more than any other. A buddy told me he thought 18", but I think he just likes the shorter look. Here's a pic if the lower too. Just finished it Friday.

Attached Files:

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Firstly you gotta understand, with all other things being equal, the longer a barrel the less accurate it is.
    Google Barrel harmonics and Barrel Whip for more in depth information....caution may melt ur eyes.

The reason peps use longer barrels is to get out to longer ranges, because they give bullets more time to accelerate and travel faster. Faster bullets less drop. Less drop, less hold over.

200 yards, I can get it there with my 7.5" barrel ar pistol. No really. I can. Shorter barrels, more rigid, in conjuction with a free float handguard = extremely precise.

Don't think you need a 18" barrel man, but you will want free floated handguards for more precision.

Id honestly only consider barrels longer than 16" for distances greater than 500. At ranges beyond 500, I'd be looking at some pretty expensive glass.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

....nice looking lower btw, how do like that PRS? Wonder if my pistol upper would look good on that....

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If you want a benchrest gun, a bull barrel 18 inch stainless barrel, with a rifle gas system would be more than enough barrel for your needs. It'd also be a heavy beast, but you'd just be lugging it the bench right? I know there's a bunch of longer ranges in nor-cal. Go to Calguns.net. They are a great community and I know there's a bunch of informal, and formal long range competitions up by Sac. Also consider taking a couple Appleseed classes and prepared to be amazed at what a sling and a 16" barrel can do.....without optics.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

On second thought, lets not do this.......would become an SBR. 1</3 USSK.

10. humboldtshooter

The PRS is great ( as far as I can tell without shooting with it. Super comfortable against the shoulder. If I could find a place to shoot at longer distances, then I'd like to. Around where I'm from there's a lot of residential areas. So shorter means more accurate? I think the lowest I'd want to go is 18" that way if I do shoot longer, I have the ability to. I'll give the website a look to see of any other local spots.

11. humboldtshooter

Also, I've seen some info on the heavy barrel predator pursuits by RRA. Those look pretty good. About 1lb lighter than the BB

12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

This RRA is going to be mainly a bench or fixed position rifle right. Going from a 18" to a 24" barrel you could be giveing up around 240fps. I do know that a 68gr hpbt wolf out of a 20 inch barrel and my 16" is lossing 160fps. If your going to want to shoot 500 yards buy the 24" barrel. Don't cut your velocity short. The bullet weight your useing will never live up to the accuracy that the rifle can give ether with a 1-8 twist but will shoot it well enought to enjoy. I have watched a couple guys checking new handloads against there control round , a federal 69gr match that would shoot .300 at 100 yards. Both rifles were 24"RRA varment

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Think of it this way. Imagine if you will that your barrel is made out of plastic. The shorter it is, the harder it is to flex. The longer it is, the easier it is to flex. If you have a 24" barrel it will flex more when you shoot it. If it were 7" long it won't flex much at all. So for longer barrels you need a thicker barrel to keep it from flexing. Thicker barrels mean heavier barrels. Really heavy barrels will flex your upper reciever. Heavier barrels take longer to heat up, conversely heavier barrels take longer to cool down. Hot barrels flex more. More flex equals less precision.

if you plan on actually going out and schlepping it, you need to balance weight and overall barrel length.

if you want a long range benchrest shooting, weight isn't all that important.

14. humboldtshooter

It will mostly be a bench gun, so weight isn't a factor. But like I said before my local range has a 200 yd max range. I'm thinking I don't need all that barrel on the gun.

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I see that you really like RRA, have you considered any other builder/manufacturers?

16. humboldtshooter

I've looked into a few others, like CMMG and DPMS. I like the .223 Wylde chamber and the 1:8 twist. Do you have another recommendation?

17. humboldtshooter

In pretty stuck on a bull barrel, but will def consider suggestions.

18. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Here's my 20" BB in a 1-8 twist ratio. I love it, rather heavy but weight isn't a big factor for me

Attached Files:

19. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I have a rifle on order from POF in 20"
    I like the classic 20" (M16 length) rather than M4 16"
    I feel like you get more bang out of the same bullet.
    The maybe only 4" (25%) more but still hoping it
    makes the bullet fly a little more straight, fly a little faster
    and hit harder at distance.

But the trade off is bulk and weight. With that stock
    i was say you are obligated to go at least 18" IMO =)

20. humboldtshooter

That's a nice rifle. I'm thinking if length doesn't effect accuracy then I will more than likely go 20", just for looks if nothing else.