Rock River tactical Entry AR15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by DrGonzo11, Aug 19, 2009.

1. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

I was offered a Rock River Tactical Entry AR15 in trade for my Ruger P944 and 1943 Standard Products M1 carbine (All GI parts 1943 dated inland barrel). Should I do it, am I getting ripped off??? Is it a good gun???? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks as always fellas.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Can we get a couple of pictures of the weapons you are going to trade??

JD

3. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Thats all i have on the computer at the moment. and my 4 month old bouncing on my lap is preventing me from loading more. :):D

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

How about the configuration on the AR-15?

The base price right now is $1100, give or take a few bucks.

The Ruger is worth, about, what? $380 to $400 dollars??

The price on the carbine is going to be subjective to what someone is willing to pay for that particular piece of history.

Aside from the history factor - I would say, given the configuration of the AR, it's about a wash in my book.

Then again, I am not really a fan of the M1 Carbine platform - *shrug*

The final decision is going to have to be yours concerning what YOU value the M1 at...

JD

5. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

I've already had 2 offers for $475 on the P944, its the special edition and apparently people like it, I paid $440 B4 tax new and bought 2 mags for it. I bought the M1 for $650 from a friend.

As far as i can tell its the base model with the tactical carry handle, I haven't got my hands on it yet.

6. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Like JD said it's probably an even trade - depends on how much you want the RRA. Be advised the Entry Tactical is a 1:9 twist R-4 heavy barrel rated by RRA as a 1" moa gun, not their .75" moa rated 1:8 twist heavy barrel. It comes well equipped with the Hogue grip, detacheable carry handle, flash hider, and .223/5.56 chambering. If I already had an AR-15 I wouldn't trade - the M-1 will continue to accrue value over the years. If I needed an AR-15, the M-1 and Ruger would be gone in a heartbeat.

7. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

See that's where I'm at, I have no AR15 and I want to get one b4 they are gone or else I could wait. The only reason I'm really second guessing it is because I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to AR's and I don't wanna get screwed. The other issue is the M1 Carbine is really nice and the Standard Products are a little bit rarer, no to mention its all GI parts-BUT I've also been having problems with it......so....... I hate making decisions.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Gonzo - I don't know your personal situation, but there is NO REASON to trade off your M1 Carbine in trade for an AR if you are worried about SHTF.

Personally, for me, if you like your carbine - and you can live with the "mystery/fantasy" of the AR platform for another 6 to 10 months, I would cancel this trade with the swiftness.

AR prices have dropped 30% since about December of last year.

By December of THIS year, I expect them to be back to a much more reasonable rate.

But that is my "expectation" of the market based on past performance...

JD

9. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Dillinger....you are not helping:) Based on your first response I was all for the AR.......now....not so sure....... :D

10. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Me personally, I'd not let go of that M1 Carbine. I agree with JD that you'll be able to pick up a good generic AR for much lower costs in the next 12 months. Before the Obamamania you could buy a Bushmaster 16" carbine on sale for $700.

If you absolutely feel you need to get an AR now, the RRA is a good choice. However, I think that there is very little danger of these type rifles being banned or becoming unobtainable anytime soon.

11. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Do you think the RRA's will come down??? RRA has this gun listed at $1050 on their site and that's what he was asking in cash.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I believe prices will come down, but the component prices will drop before the complete gun prices drop.

You should take a look at a few of the build threads that guys have done, are doing. They are all building weapons for less than $1K if they do some shopping....

JD

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Keep the warrior! [​IMG]

14. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

OK, I'll keep the M1. Thanks guys, that's what I was feeling, but I needed a push. :)

15. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

You can get that RRA for about $350 less than retail if you know someone with an FFL that is willing to give you a signed copy and let YOU order it. You will get the Dealer Discount and it will be shipped to your FFL for transfer, at which time he may charge you a 20-$40 fee. That's what I did, and my NMA4 ended up costing me $849 instead of $1215.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  16. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Yeah, I called up the street and they have one (minus the Tactical carry handle) for $975 CASH. I'm just gonna wait and save up for the gun i really want, a Smith&Wesson M&P15 PS. Everything about that gun tells me to get it over any others, not sure why.

17. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

They were actually DPMS uppers and lowers... I don't know if they still are, but seeing as how Cerberus owns both companies I would suspect they are the same..:confused:

18. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I would keep the M1 Carbine. As everyone has said, prices are dropping. Plus, just go to a gun store, most have AR's, very rarely do you see an M1 Carbine. Just my .02.

-Fred

19. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Keep the M1, heck keep both. As some have already stated, prices are starting to level out again, and some are coming back down.

That's next on my radar, a nice M1. I just recently added a Garand, a M1A Sprinfield loaded, and a Thompson .45, to go along with a GI-series .45ACP, and a few other items. So to complete that series, (a WWII theme, if you will), I'm waiting to find a M1 carbine.

And with Corbon DPX coming out in .30 cal, the M1 becomes more viable as a home defense (CQB) tool, too.

Slo