Rock River LAR9

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by RairWeatherSmok, Sep 14, 2010.

1. RairWeatherSmok

RairWeatherSmok New Member

I've searched and read and haven't found the answer I'm looking for. So here are my questions that I'm sure someone(s) can answer.

A couple of statements.

My fingers don't work so good at tedious tasks, so I can't build my own.
    Due to medical implants, I can't take the recoil of large caliber weapons.
    I have a Colt AR15 way preban in .223, but a few rounds is all I can squeeze.

My carry & defense weapons are XD 9mm loaded with NATO JHP spec ammo.
    I use 9mm Luger (USA under powered loads, 115 gr. for practice. 200 rounds before it becomes uncomfortable.

I like the AR platform and started out to buy a .22 because of no recoil, but decided on a 9mm that I should be able to use as a minimum caliber defensive weapon.

The use for this will be defense of the home front - my home.

So my questions -

What range is an AR9 good for? I'm not a long shooter, say 0 to 150 - 200 yards.

Will any AR9 handle a +p+ pressure round that is close to NATO specs.

Will they generally handle a JHP or only round ball.

Since I can't focus on both a target and a sight, I need a both eyes open optic sight.

I have researched and decided the Rock River LAR9 is the best bang for the buck.

Comments ?

2. RairWeatherSmok

No one ?

Must be some tough questions !!!

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Sorry... never fired or even read up on an AR in 9.

But welcome to the forum and thanks for stepping up to supporting right off the bat.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I also have no experience with a 9mm AR but from what I've heard they do fine with FMJ and hit with power and accuracy out to 150 yards. Ammo is cheap so it should be a good fit. Can't imagine +P+ would be any problem, the AR action handles much stronger rounds.

Still, have you fired a standard AR and found the recoil to be too much? 5.56 is very light kicking and you could go with a midlength to soften the pulse even more. Through in an H-buffer and M16 bolt carrier and light .223 ammo you've got a real *****cat for a rifle.

ETA:
    Filter got me... how about puddytat... :D

5. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

We have one at the range as a rental and it's gets lots of use. Not a lot of recoil and very fun to shoot. As far as range goes I've never shot it over 25 yards but it's quite accurate out to that yardage. The Rock LR9 would be a nice piece for any collection IMHO. Joe

6. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I have the Bushmaster 9mm AR. Well, I mean I own one. Bushmaster has it back for repair. They've had it for 4.5 months, still no repair. The recoil difference is pretty small between a 9mm and a 5.56. If you can't take the 5.56, I wouldn't spend the money on a 9mm. The lowest recoiling defensive carbine I know of is the FNH, PS90. Not cheap, but if you are highly recoil sensative it may be the way to go.

7. billt

billt New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi,

This is my Rock River Arms LAR-9, 9 MM AR-15 Carbine. This rifle has been a great performer. As you can see from the photographs it is machined from solid as a dedicated 9 MM. Colt, as well as other press a block into the mag well. This makes for a really nice magazine fit. My carbine will feed reliably from Colt, C-Products, as well as Pro-Mag Polymer magazines. All lock up nice and tight. Resting the gun on the magazine also does not cause an issue. The guns feeds all open nosed self defense ammo reliably, and recoil is a non issue with the gun.

Mostly I run the Federal Champion 115 gr. FMJ through it because I get it at Wal-Mart for $9.47 a box of 50. It's great for plinking and I can easily ring the steel plates on my clubs 200 yard range with it. The 9 MM has more range than a lot of people think, especially from the longer barrel a carbine affords. The gun being of blow back, and not direct impingement operation, stays very clean, even after 300+ rounds. For self defense in a home it makes a good weapon without the danger of over penetration like can happen with say a 5.56 M-855 round. If you get one of these guns make sure you buy a lot of ammo because you'll be shooting it a LOT! All I need to get for it is a 100 round Beta-C Magazine! Bill T.

8. billt

billt New Member

About the only thing I forgot to mention is when you fill the Pro-Mag polymer magazines over 30 rounds, they tend to swell a bit and can fit a little tight when you insert them. Once you get them in however, they run like a champ. Bill T.

9. RairWeatherSmok

Thanks for the info.

Interesting read on the PS90, pricey & would require a different caliber ammo.

I bought an LAR9 today. It came with A1 flash hider, 6 position tactical stock, free float quad rail, hogue rubber grip, flip front sight gas block, badger tactical latch, and winter trigger guard.

I still need some more magazines and have to decided on a red dot optical system.

These things are sort of like buying a Harley Bike. You get a starter kit, then start dumping $$$$ into it :)

Thanks for the input !!

10. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

I'd look at Olympic Arms and their version of a 9 mm carbine in the M4 format. The Oly Arms has one version that takes Glock magazines. You can get 9 mm Glock magazines all day long without a problem and they come in a variety of sizes too all the way up to the Scherer mags that hold 33 rounds.

Olympic Arms, Inc. - K9-GL - Pistol Cal 9mm, Glock® Lower

Any way its is something for you to think about and consider.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Billt, thanks for the great pictures (including your avatar - she's not shooting at University of Phoenix Stadium is she? :D )

The pictures and your info make the LAR-9 look like a great choice.

Hey, we need to swap carry handles, I was looking for a Cardinal Forge but got a Cerro Forge instead. A Cerro would match your upper receiver!

Just kidding of course, besides come to think of it it does match your football team! ;)

12. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

For optics, I'd definitely suggest the EO tech series or Aimpoint. the Big Catch is they are PRICEY... But My dad's got the Eo tech 517A1 I think.... and Using it yesterday is just spectacular.

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I bought a Rock River AR 9mm for my Grandson two years ago for Christmas and mounted a Model 511 EOtech on it. He lives in the Indianapolis area and being a 9mm pistol cal. He can shoot it in the indoor ranges in the area. Fantastic little rifle and will tear one hole at the 25 yard indoor ranges. Even other shooters have commented at the range on how well it shoots. I would say it would be a great choice for you! And they have a ltd lifetime warranty against any factor defects or craftsmanship. They are also assembled and built at a bench by a skilled gun builder not assembly line. And test fired on an outdoor range before you ever get the rifle or carbine.

14. RairWeatherSmok

Finally got it all together

[​IMG]

15. Sniper03

RairWeather

I agree with Billt. The Rock River 9mm is a good carbine. I gave my oldest grandson one for Christmas two years ago. They are fun to shoot. 9mm ammo is fairly easy to come by.They are also accurate and will handle any 9mm round. Not only are they great for outdoor range shooting but they can shoot them in the local indoor range in the winter time, being they are pistol caliber! In addition if your present colt has the standard .154-.155 Trigger and Hammer pins you can get a Rock River 2 Stage Trigger. It will help you with the fatigue regarding the trigger pull issue. They have a 1lb. Free Travel and a 3.5 lb. seat let off. *Be sure your pins are not .170. If they are they have a special kit for the big pins.

Billt & RainWeather Nice Pics!

16. Sniper03

RainWeather,

So I did not confuse you the 2 Stage is only for the AR-15 in 223/5.56 Cal.
    The 9mm Carbines have a good trigger but it is the standard single stage.

17. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

The 9mm round is technically not available in +P+. There is no standardized rating by SAAMI for the +P+ load, so any manufacturer could market their version of +P+, with wide variances between manufacturers because of the lack of a standard.

A red dot sight or ACOG with Bindon Aiming Concept (BDC) feature sounds like what would be appropriate for your vision requirements.

I have a RRA LAR-15 Entry Tactical, and have been very pleased with it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  18. JBG762

JBG762 New Member

I read above about the 9mm not having the "overpenetration" risk of the .223 carbines. The opposite is actually true. Even in a handgun the 9mm will penetrate MUCH more than a .223 out of a carbine. This is a very common misconception. The .223 may be pushing a bullet along at nearly 3,000 fps, but it's a very light bullet. 55-62 grains generally compared to 115-147 in a 9mm. Once it hits something solid like a sheetrock wall or a body it loses momentum and velocity much more quickly and tends to fragment.