Rock Island

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by foot2400, Aug 28, 2013.

1. foot2400

foot2400 New Member

I have been looking at a rock island 1911. I was wondering what everyone thinks about them?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Great pistol at that price point, I have the 9mm Tactical.

Gitcha one, you won't regret it.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

lot of pistol for not alot of money. now i have not owned the RIA 1911's, but have handled them. i have owned the MetroArms 1911's and are about the same quality and also made in the Phillipine Islands like the RIA 1911's.

i would most definately recommend the RIA or the MetroArms 1911's without hesitation.

4. sc00ts

sc00ts New Member

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

A friend bought a milspec RIA 1911. The gun is well balanced and easy to aim. It functions well with decent ammo. We both have pistol plinking courses We both have a lot of fun making our courses more challenging. He reloads 45 acp ammo and the RIA eats it most of the time even when his experiments were total screw ups. It will perform flawlessly with quality factory ammo or proven reloads.

My gunsmith got stuck with an RIA/armscor 38 spl revolver with a 4" barrel. He tried to sell the revolver without success. The gun grew on him. It now resides in his cash drawer and he isn't interested in selling it.

6. saitek

saitek New Member

love or leave em

well i have a .45 match ,.45 compact and 9mm compact the only thing i dont like is i dont have any more free money to buy more ! :eek:

7. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I think RIA 1911s are a very good pistol for the price.You might also look at the Ruger sr1911,at one of our LGS they had the Ruger within 200.00 of the RIA 1911.
    The Ruger's worth a look. jmo

8. Axxe55

even at the MSRP of $829, the Ruger SR1911 IMO is still a bargain.

the new Commander sized Ruger looks pretty sweet too.

9. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I agree Axxe the Ruger's a great deal,I have seen some Ruger CMDs selling in the 650 range on GB,heck of a price! :)

10. Axxe55

IIRC, i paid $585 for my AC Commander. i have yet to see one of the Ruger SR1911's. personally, i think it's a fantastic looking pistol and i havn't heard anyone not being pleased with it yet.

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

My Pal has 2, his RA commander he carries and his Gov't,.. I have shot a mag through his commander and it feels the same as my Colt that cost $150 more 30 years ago,..GD knows what one goes for now...

12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I have one 1911, a RIA tactical fs 5"45. Paided 469 dollars at local general store/gun shop . The gi model sells for 409 so don't let a dealer shaft ya. Good pistol that will feed any ammo tried in it so far including 200gr swc.

Finish could be better and trigger is a little rough but both work I nicely with a little oil rubbed in and shots fired. I have shot more costly finely finished 1911a1 pistols and you have to seriously spend waaay more money to get that better looking pistol but maybe no better a functioning pistol.
    [​IMG]

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would look at replacing all springs (even on a new one).

That improves the thing a lot.

14. foot2400

foot2400 New Member

So all an all for the money it's a buy. Thanks everyone for your input. It's appreciated.

15. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Axxe I missed this post here?

That's a heck of a great price you paid for your AC Commander,I also saw the thread where you're customizing the the AC Commander,it was really coming along and turning out really nice.

I have also heard a lot of good reviews on the Ruger sr1911s.

16. Axxe55

i finished the Commander last November. it was a fun project and the Commander was bought specifically for that project. i actually ordered the Commander from my LGS. i told him i wanted either the AC or the RIA in a Commander sized 1911. i didn't really care which one he got in. the AC Commander in hard chrome was the one that showed up.

i didn't change any of the internal of the pistol, but after the modifications, it seemed a little more accurate. could be because the grip location for my hand was moved up a little further, closer to the bore axis than originally. the pistol shoots great and is decently accurate . i am more that just pleased with the pistol.