rock island

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by juststartin5272, Sep 18, 2012.

1. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

Opinions on the ria 1911s and what is the compatibility with custom parts from aftermarket manufacturers

2. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I've seen some decked out RIA's before,and I've never seen a bad word said about them as far as I can remember

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

RIA 1911's are a great pistol at a decent price. i have owned two American Classic 1911's and they are comparable in price and quality, and have looked at a few RIA pistols and decided to order one in 38 Super. as far as i know, most any aftermarket parts will work, but a bit of fitting may be required, but this is no different than any other brand of 1911, so for me this is not an issue.

if you are thinking about a RIA 1911, then please check them out. i think you will be amazed at the prices and quality.

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Good stuff. Rule of thumb, fits a colt, fits an RIA. Notable exceptions being .22lr conversions (unless someone has??) and the .460 Rowland conversion. You could do it to them..... They just might break though. I use the officers model for CC work. Accurate as you are. Feeds any ammo I've put through it. 185grain hollow points to 230 grain hps. Have yet to shoot swc, I'm not sure how those would do. Bottom line, good pistol for the money.

5. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Best thing since sliced bread IMHO.

6. jh9x18ky

jh9x18ky New Member

I have owned a few RI's and all of them have been great. Full size or compact. As far as I know, most 1911 aftermarket parts will work. Only exception I can think of is the ramped barrels. I have yet to see a RI with a ramped barrel setup. There is a forum dedicated to RI/Armscor with a lot of great info at M1911.org

7. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

RIA is definitely worth a close look. I loved each of mine. Just traded of my duracoated .45, but my 9 will never leave.

Plenty of parts are interchangeable and easy to fit. Some sights are a little more effort due to RIA having their own dovetail cut size, but still easy enough.

I'd recommend them any day of the week.

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

WTH? You got rid of the one that you just got through duracoating?

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If you are looking for an entry level 1911 you would be hard pressed to beat the RIA's.

10. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

Then with the sights in question anyone know of upgraded sights made specific for the rock island dovetail?

11. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Traded it for his ar upper.

12. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I have a RIA Tactical CS (officers size). It is a great little 1911. I have had very few issues with it. The only time it has an issue is with semi wadcutter handloads. Once in while it will fail to go into battery, but that is a result of the ammo and not the gun. When I run ANY factory ammo it is flawless (so far). I am very pleases with how accurate it is as well. At 25 yards I can get all rounds into center mass and at 10 yards my groups are 1-2 inches.

13. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Yeppers. Never even shot it after. Got more for it than it was worth in trade, so heck yeah!!

Wanted to build an AR anyway!

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Good deal then :)

15. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I'm interested in some aftermarket sights as well. Mine aren't adjustable and I seem to consistantly shoot low. It is only if I completely cover the bullseye that I can bring the POI up.

16. Garadex

Garadex New Member

File down the front sight a bit at a time, too much will make you shoot high and it's hard to put metal back on.

17. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

www.dawsonprecision.com/ makes some RIA sights.

Type Rock Island into the SEARCH box on their website.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  18. gunback

gunback New Member

RIA bought a lot of colts tools and so colt parts fit them. I have customized my govt model and did some to the one I gave my dad, but have done nothing to my officer.