Rock Island?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Tom86, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

I've been thinking about buying a 1911, for no other reason than "just 'cause." there is a 4" Armscor/Rock Island here locally offered for $449. Thoughts?

2. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

From everything I've read they are pretty darn good pistols for the money. Quite a few threads on here about them. I'm planning on getting one but after I get a couple other 1911s that are on my list:)

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I have the officers, very happy with it, never a single issue. There are a bunch of people showing them love.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

from what i ahve seen from looking at them and from what others have to say, they seem as they would be a good one to buy. personally, i am also looking at buying one myself for a possible custom built 1911.

5. kytowboater

The only downfall IMO, Is the finish. Seems to thin, if that makes any sense. That's an easy fix when/if the finish wears or starts to rust a bit.

6. Axxe55

this agree with too. it does seem the finish isn't quite as nice as some the other brands of 1911's, but for me, if it functions as well as others say, it's not really an issue that would stop me from buying one. if i did, i would either bead blast it and have a matte black or parkerized finish, or maybe even have it Duracoated in some type of contrasting colors.

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

RIA makes some pretty good 1911's. No, they are not top end but you are not paying top end money. Most of the ones I have seen (and owned a couple) needed a little break in timew before they woul dfeed 100%. But in fairness to the pistols the ones I had I used a flay nosed round that I reloaded. With regular ball ammo they do fine and after a hundred or two rounds they fed HP ammo well.The finish is not the best but it does OK if it's treated pretty well.

Bottom line is they shoot straight and are built pretty tough. They are worth what they bring these days. Just don't get all crazy and do a lot of stuff to them liek so many do then when it's time to sell/trade i tit's got all these bells and whistles and has to be priced like a Kimber. No matter what you do to them they are still an RIA. With the after market stuff out there it's pretty easy to get a little crazy. Now if you never intend to sell it then who cares...Go for it. I have a couple guns here that I have put a lot of money in that it might get hard to get it back out. But I really don't want to think about selling them.

8. kytowboater

Agreed about the modifications. I don't sell mine so play away!

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I had a guy try and sell me a RIA a few months ago for 650 because of the mods he made. I'm not going to say you can't get a few bucks more on a reworked gun but I just could not justify the cost for a RIA. I don't sell my 1911's so I've done a few things to them all.

10. kytowboater

That's the thing about custom work, most of the time it's hard to get out what you put in. Or the personal connection, you may have something you feel is worth $1000 and it's still a $700 item, that you would have to modify to fit your likes. IMO just better to buy stock, and go from there. Plus it's just down right fun.

11. Axxe55

most any of my firearms are not for sale, but i am not emotionally attached to many of them that i wouldn't sell if my price was met. i had a guy get upset over the price i quoted on one of my rifles he wanted to buy. i told him in the first place i wasn't really interested in selling, but if i did, the price i quoted was what i wanted, and i wasn't going to budge on price. he made me a counter offer, but i told him that my price was firm or else i wouldn't sell. needless to say, i didn't sell it! didn't really want to sell anyways. why is it people get bent out of shape when you quote them a price when they ask what it would take to buy something, that you really don't want to sell in the first place?

12. kytowboater

They have a set figure in their mind, that they believe something should be. Even when it's a stupid lowball offer. Kudos to you.

13. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Agree about the mods, if all you want is a barebones 1911 I hear they are pretty good, if its the G.I. look you're after, may i suggest the Auto Ordnance. Made is America and they are much closer to the old Colts.

AO sometimes gets a bad rap as the old ones are of less than stellar quality, but the company was sold and the new ones get good reviews.

The Springfield GI is also an option, but is made in Brazil.

If you are just after a budget no frills 1911, RIA seems like a good choice to me.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

On a $500 handgun, I would not want to customize too much.

Shoot it for a while. Make a list of any changes that will make the firearm better or more comfortable for you.

15. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

Thanks for the information guys. You talked me into it. Think I'm going to take another look at it today.

16. kycol

kycol New Member

You just can't bet a rock island for value, I love mine and have not had 1 single issue with it what so ever. They do however come well preserved so a good full cleaning is needed before loading it up with ammo. In the 45 most if not all the part interchange with colt. Of course the only colt part in mine is the extra mags.

17. JohnJak

JohnJak Member

Buy it & shoot the hell out of it.

18. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

I just purchased one. RIA tactical, it has the skeletonized trigger and hammer, raised sights, and an ambi safety. Not much I plan on doing to it except maybe some grips but they are easily replaced. I might switch out the full length guide rod because I'm not a fan of them. I'm having the gun shipped so I do not have it yet but I've handled plenty of them and done research so for the money they cost it will be a fun shooter. I dont like all black sight that these guns have but after a little paint on the tip of the sights they will be easier to see. Let us know how you like it if you buy it and shoot it.

19. JWagner

JWagner New Member

I have had a RI basic model (I was too stingy to get the tactical) for several years. It works flawlessly with store bought ammo and so far, with FMJ reloads. I did have a jam problem with reloads using cast lead bullets. Go ahead and get it. I have no regrets about getting mine. Adding the beavertail grip would make it a bit more comfortable to shoot.

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

IMO the tactical is the way to go if you even THINK you'll want to add such things later-- Everything is there- I did add a MSH/Magwell & grips to mine but what else cud one want :confused:

[​IMG]