Rock Island

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Hawg, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Got this today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mag is made by ACT in Italy. It looks pretty cheesy and feels cheap. It works real nice but that bumper has got to go.

[​IMG]

Front and rear sights are dovetailed.

[​IMG]

No tool marks in here, everything is slick.

[​IMG]

Trigger has just barely a hair of slack, just a tad of creep but breaks clean around 3ish pounds with no over travel.

I tried some old hardball and LRN's and it fed both slickern snot on a porcelain doorknob. It doesn't like the LRN's. They printed in a horizontal string low and right. Hardball was dead on the money. Got some 255 grain Keiths here somewhere but can't find them. Want to see how they do before I buy a new mold.
    I'm not liking the one piece full length guide rod. The grips are pretty decent. The RIA grips I've seen before didn't cover as much of the grip frame and felt really weird. These feel pretty good but I'll prolly swap them out for checkered one of these days. I generally don't like an ambi safety either but this one is pretty streamlined so I guess it can stay.
    All in all I'm very pleased with it.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

nice shooter :) been quite a few happy RI buyers here lately.

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Nice looking 1911

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Congrats.
    Those RIA are looking better to me all the time.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I haven't had any problems that I can directly attribute to the mags but I agree that they feel a little thin. I'm going to have to look at picking up some better mags.

Sometimes when I put a new mag in, it pushes the nose of the top bullet down and it will cause a failure to feed. It happens when I try to load fast and the slide is forward. Should I be loading with the slide to the rear?

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

My High Standard 1911 came with the same mag,although i already had 7 new wilson Elite Tactical mags so i never even used it.

7. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a Commander model without the ambi safety. I love it to death...... They are like a Ruger in that they are a bit on the heavy side, but that means even empty they make a useful weapon. :)

8. GearedUp

GearedUp New Member

Congrats on the purchase!

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nice 1911 Hawg!

I think J M Browning is smiling!

10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

He oughta be. He was an instant hit and still going strong.:cool:

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Nice! Thanks for info and pics.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Glad you got anuther 1911 Hawg :D
    Was wondering how you were coping with the ambi thing :p

13. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

If it had been them big old airplane wings like on the one I got from you they would have to go bye bye. These are much slimmer. I wish it didn't have them but not enough to spend the money to change them.

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, if you decide you cant handle it hollar & i'll send you a GI style;)
    I like the one on my 9mm Tactical so well I installed the same style on my old Essex build :cool:

[​IMG]

15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I'm about used to it now but I'll keep it in mind. I could use a set of simple checkered grips tho if you have a set. Don't really want anything fancy.