Rock Island Sub Compacts ?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by yesicarry, Apr 14, 2010.

1. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Have been doing a lot of research on these pistols. Accurate, reliable and the customer service is great.

Unfortunately, all I find is the full size models. Bud's guns has a really nice full size that makes me want to order it right now. But am really looking for the sub-compact version.

This pistol would be carried everyday in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster as I recently got one for my PT111 Pro Mil. and it is very comfortable and conceals like no other holster I've ever tried. Thus the want for a SC pistol..

But I cannot find one at all.. Any ideas ladies and gents. ?? I know Dillinger will probably find one in 5 minutes.(show off..lol)

Any help would be much appreciated as my 45th B-Day is coming and the little woman has no probs with an addition to the family. :D And every shooter deserves a .45 for their 45th birthday..

Thanks for any help you might provide.

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  3. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Dang.. CS model.. They make a little longer version that is the SC model.. But haven't been able to find one.. I think it's about the same size as the old Colt Officer's model but am probably wrong on that.

Just my luck.. Got money. Know what's wanted but cant find it.. And being this is my 45th Birthday gift and going to keep it for life and carry everyday, Dont really want to settle for one that wasn't the one I wanted.. This is aggravating

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Better jump quick, you snooze you lose! It'll be gone by Friday.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

yes, you change your mind like a woman!

What you're looking for is a Commander size or MS.

CS = compact = officers = 3.5" bbl
    MS = mid-size = commander = 4.25" bbl
    FS = full size = government = 5" bbl

Go here quick!

thegunsource.com: Armscor Hand Guns (Pistols) arm rock island 1911 ms 8rd

6. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

[​IMG]

I like my 3.5" Rock Island alot.

7. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

How does the Rock Island Compact compare to the new Springfield Micro Compact? The Springfield they have here at the local gun shop has a price tag of amost $700. It is one of there MilSpec models.

8. nightal

nightal New Member

Go look at GunBroker, seller is Bellshire, they have the Compact Tac. at a good price if I had it to do all over I would have gotten one of those.

9. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

What did you get that you would change what you got?

10. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

I have fired RIA subs and they are excellent feeling pistols. I much prefer it to any double stacked 1911 sc(Llama, Para, etc)
    They are solid and well made. Feels like safety in your hands.

11. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

How do you think they would compare to a Kimber Ultra or Springfield Micro Compact? It is hard right now in these trying times to spend $1k plus on a pistol.

12. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

Basically they all go bang. I wouldn't cry if I were to scratch my RIA. A Kimber I might be a tad upset.
    I used to have a Norinco 1911 that was an excellent shooter, always worked fine, never jammed. The Para P14 I had was a FTF machine at 3 times the price.

13. nightal

nightal New Member

FS =5'' Fullsize
    MS=4'' Midsize
    CS=31/2''Compact Size

The MS is 4'' not 41/4''
    They don't make a sub compact.I bought the compact, not the TAC Compact.wish I had the Tac.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  14. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Nice choice of weapons you have there.

15. Dadoo

Dadoo New Member

CS Rock

I have had my CS for about 2 years and probably 1k rounds flawlessly. Still use the original ACT mags with never a problem. Conceals well, goes bang every time. Paid just under 400. for it and two weeks ago at the gun show, it is still the same price from several vendors.

[​IMG]

16. Big_Mac

Big_Mac New Member

The RIA subs are sweet shooting guns and IF you can find one... much cheaper than the other compacts I looked at. After being patient for as long as I could (three days I think...), I gave in and bought the Colt New Agent. Thats what I really wanted, but also twice the price. Even though the New Agent is my every day CC gun now, I'd snatch up a RIA sub in a heartbeat given the opportunity.

Just my 2cents worth.

17. Big_Mac

Big_Mac New Member

Canebreak has found what you're looking for... The 3 1/2" barrel is the smallest I've seen in the RIA. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. And like I said.... I'm gonna grabe one of those from Old English Outfitters if I can convince the spouse... Or just ask later! :eek:

http://www.oeoutfitters.com/scripts/p...?idproduct=668