rock island armory

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by 1911newbee, Nov 2, 2011.

1. 1911newbee

1911newbee New Member

hey guy's.long story short,had to sell my springer to cover a family emergency.so now im back in the market.ben eye ballin a r.a. 1911.aren't they made by arscor?i have held it and fondled it a bit.feels great!it fits in to my budget really well.any feedback would be apreciated.thanks

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Yes, the RIA 1911s are made by Armscor. I've never been crazy about them. I had a bad experience with a compact model in the past. About the only budget 1911 that I can't complain about is my stainless Taurus 1911. Best $600 I've ever spent.

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have a High Standard 1911A1 which is also made by Armscor..its been a very reliable 1911,i have 1k rounds through it and 0 malfunctions. I am very happy with it.. If thats what your budget allows at the moment then i say go for it..i would love a nice colt myself but my HS is just fine. The RIA is also mil-spec, so it will accept other aftermarket 1911 parts

4. kystang90

kystang90 New Member

I own the RIA 1911A1 and it is worth every penny and more of the $399 I paid for it. Runs fine with kimber and Chip mags. I'd buy another one tomorrow!

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some are happy with the RIA, some are not.

IMO, If that is the best you can afford, then go for it.
    Otherwise, save a little more and purchase better quality.

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Well said.

7. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

For me, the acid test for a firearm is function.

I do not own one but shoot with some folks that do, and they all love them.

Fit and finish are nice, but, personally, I don't pay extra for it. For me a gun is a tool, as long as it works, that is good with me. I would rather have a Rock Island that works all of the time than a pretty Kimber with function problems any day.

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Exactly my point too.. I would LOVE to have a nice Colt govt 1911 but my budget wont allow it right now. The money that i saved by buying my HS 1911 helped me buy my son more school clothes and put gas in my car

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Do it man, they are great. Its the best 300 i ever spent. I was offered 350 for it by a cop in my hometown and had to pass up the offer cause i love it. It shoots everytime i squeeze the trigger no matter what ammo i use and i can use cheap 7 round GI mags that cost about 8 bucks at machine gun shows.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Buy one-
    I've had four & 3 were great :D

11. bowserb

bowserb New Member

I was at a gun shop talking with a bunch of old guys a couple days ago. One of them said his brother worked for Houston Police Dept at their range. He told me this guy had a Rock Island 1911 that he wanted to "see how much neglect it could take (I don't know why, but I'll get he bought it with taxpayer money!) Allegedly he had put 10,000 rounds through the pistol without even cleaning it one time, and it was still working.

But then, you know old guys...but even if the story is half true, it's still impressive.

12. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

I gave my dad my SA1911 loaded, my trophy gun that never once jammed even after over 6 thousand rounds. Hard to believe I know..I handed it to him and helped him pass his firearm exam. I'm thinking ofgetting a ria too now

13. ET1

ET1 New Member

My wife wanted a 9mm 1911 & narrowed it down to an RIA and a Taurus PT1911. She chose the Taurus & left the RIA for someone else. If my wife passed on it, then it must be good. She can pick the line at Wal-Mart that will stop dead before the flag goes up at the register every time. Out of 12 toaster ovens on the shelf, she picked the one that didn't work without even opening the box. Somehow she paid $6.99 for an empty bottle of shampoo. She found a set of knives that never had the factory blade cut onto them, but they looked nice in the package! These are true stories. Buy the RIA quick.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

LOL, any empty bottle of shampoo...i love it

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I think I married your wifes sister :p

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

I must have married the other sister or a cousin.

17. MPTaylor

MPTaylor New Member

I just recently (10/28/2011) purchased a Rock Island Armory 1911 CS A1(Compact) from Sarco Inc. I was a little nervous at first, but after reading fantastic reviews, I decided to go ahead and pick one up. I was looking for a compact 1911 that was reliable, yet inexpensive. I have friends who are all about brand names, and I am not so much. I wasn't looking for a bunch of extras, like a light rail, etc. I am thoroughly impressed by the overall feel, look, and most importantly, the performance of this pistol. After putting 500 rounds of 230 gr. Federal "hardball" through it, and 100 rounds of federal 230 grain hydra shocks , and didn't have a single malfunction, it was decided this weapon would be my new carry piece. A few years ago I had a Kimber, and strongly believe the RIA is on par with the Kimber, just without all the frills i don't need. Price was well worth it, at $400.00 Accuracy was fantastic. The guys at Sarco Inc., in Easton, Pa were very knowledgeable and great to work with. At first, I did not like the stock wood grips that much, but actually have grown to like them. I have felt the same gun with Hogue wrap around grips and love it, so I may just decide to put them on in the near distant future. If your like me and just want a reliable, basic carry 1911, you wouldn't be making a big mistake picking one up. I am debating whether or not to buy a full size A1, or build one of Sarco Inc. kits. Im buying a house soon so as soon as my shop is ready to go, i will be building it. I knkow its a lot of work, but I have built several firearms from kits before, and want to do a 1911 Government.

18. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

:D classic haha

19. cgdeleon

cgdeleon New Member

A friend of mine has an Armscor 1911(shipped there in the US as RIA), he said its shooting well and he has no problems with it since he bought it some years back. If you like to beautify it, it has lots of room to do with it but its shooting well as it is.... :)

cgdeleon from the Philippines
    I live a town away from the Armscor Factory... :) and will be there tomorrow to shoot at their range..:)

20. nightal

nightal New Member

I bought my first RIA GI. pistol in Jan. 2007 it functioned okay, a few glitches at first, then one day at the range the hammer started to follow the slide, when I got home I tore it down and found that one leg on the sear was broken, I called RIA to see what to do, they said send it in, (life time warranty) I sent it in with a note, a few days later they called me to say, they were going to work on my pistol, later that same day they called again to tell me the gun was ready. while I had them on the phone i asked about a skeltonized hammer, he said no problem, when I got the pistol back they had installed a new skeltonized hammer no charge, also sent me a new Mag. and a new pair of grips, to cover the shipping cost. you talk about Customer Service, man that's it. I now own four RIA pistols, thats the only one I had trouble with...:D