Rock Island Armory Sight Options

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by hamilton_6, Dec 18, 2013.

1. hamilton_6

hamilton_6 New Member

I have recently bought a midsize Rock Island Armory M1911 GI model and I absolutely hate the sights. They are too low and hardly visible. I admit I haven't examined the front sight too closely but it looks welded in place. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on changing the sights or any suggestions for replacement sights. Thank you all in advance.

2. magnumman

magnumman New Member

A little paint on the front sight would be a good place to start. I suppose you could have dovetails cut into the slide, but IMO a project like that completely defeats the purpose of a budget 1911.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The front sight is staked in place just like a standard GI 1911. There is a staking tool than can be bought to help flatten the post that goes into the top of the slide. If you google 1911 front sight staking, you should be able to find some tutorials that will explain what I'm talking about. There are decent replacement sights that are made to be staked just like the originals. The post come in two sizes though , depending on what size hole you have in the slide. Or you could take the slide to a gunsmith and have it dovetailed for more modern sight styles.

4. hamilton_6

hamilton_6 New Member

Do you have any recommendations for sights that are compatible with the staking of the front sight?

5. SSGN_Doc

I went with Millet sights for a good basic fixed sight on my Springfield.

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Your best bet would be to just save up for a new gun altogether. RIA Tactical models will have better sights. Trying to upgrade a GI model is an uphill battle.

7. SSGN_Doc

If all he wants is better sights. It's not a huge investment to upgrade. Now if the ultimate goal is to fully customize, and go with a beavertail, a custom trigger, sights, extended controls, then, yes a different model may be worth it.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The sights are not part of the slide. There is a beavertail cut into the slide for the rear sight and a hole for a post for the front sight. Don't think you can use a drift punch and a hammer to change the sights on your 1911. Either acquire a sight press or have a gunsmith install your new sights.

Here is a parts manual for a rock island 1911. http://stevespages.com/pdf/rock_island_1911a1.pdf

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  9. SSGN_Doc

There is a specific 1911 sight staking tool.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Okay, You all have confused the heck out of me.
    Beavertail cut in slide?

Beavertail is normally a term used for a wide grip safety to prevent hammer bite.

Would dovetail be more appropriate?

11. sensei9

sensei9 New Member

Brownells has a good front sight staking tool

12. SSGN_Doc

I was pretty sure he meant dovetail, for the rear sight.

13. nightal

nightal New Member

14. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I'm in the se boat, just bought a Citadel M1911. The sights are horrible. I know they are Novak cut sights. I want some tritium sights. I wrote Armscor to see if I can get the exact measurements on the sights. No reply yet. I was told that the Armscor sights take some fitting. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1388801999.063981.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1388802017.443789.jpg

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

All sights can require some fitting. I don't see changing sights on a 1911 as a DIY job. There are to many things to go wrong that you have never thought about. We recently had a thread were someone was looking for a way to fix the new sights he filed down with JB weld. I have a nice bearing press but I still would take my gun into a gunsmith to have the sights changed.

16. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

Trijicon makes some great night sights that are Novak cut... They came on my E series SW1911TA really bright great sight picture thinking about getting them for my DE1911G (everyday carry)