Rock Island Armory any good?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Billy9mm, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

Was at the gun shop yesterday and looking at Rock Island 1911 and a American Tactical International. Both were in the 375 to 400 range, both felt good and looked like they were well made. Was wondering if any one has any experience with these?

2. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I'm about to find out. :) Just ordered one from Davidson's, should be here Monday (I hate weekends;) ).

My past research on them has turned up few complaints & those were mostly feeding issues due to poor magazines & normal break-in. I'd seen some at a gun show a year or so ago that didn't impress me as far as finish, but one I checked out at a LGS prior to making my order, was good & it had a nice trigger. It wasn't the exact model I wanted, so ordered mine to come into that dealer.

3. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

That was some of the same things I saw. I may go ahead and get one probably in the next couple of weeks. Got to get some money back together had to have work done on my well and replace the pump $1040 out of pocket. OUCH!!!!

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, I've now owned 4
    Last one was a POS
    Just tryed again with the Rock Island 1911 Tactical & love it :cool:
    Odds are you'll have a good one ;)
    If not I hear their CS is great-

5. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I have a friend who's RIA 1911 was purchased about 9 or 10 years ago. It didn't like HPs so 1 feed ramp polish later it liked HPs. I shot it and it was a better shooter than my Daly 1911. He probably put something close to 10k rounds through it and hasn't had any problems. He did change out the trigger for a Wilson combat setup and had a few other things done to it but overall it's a great choice IMO. On the ATI 1911 I haven't shot them but from what I read people seem to like them.

6. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

I dont know a lot about 1911's so was looking at RIA as well. Pete from the ArmoryChannel has one and he likes it a lot. For the price, i think its a good deal.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The Charles Daly is an Armscor under another name.

My experience with the RIA's has been hit or miss. They seem to be getting better lately.

If that is the best you can afford for a 1911, then by all means, buy it.

(As a side note, we do have a 1911 thread area already.)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  8. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Yeah it was my second ever pistol purchase. Although I do like my Daly, I will definitely be purchasing a new one in the near future as mine shoots a little high and right.

9. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

I have the RIA Compact, my brother has the RIA Tactical I have not had one hiccup nor he in his in over 1000 rounds. Nicely made guns for the price. I love mine.

10. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I'll let you know tomorrow night. I pick up my RIA 1911 Compact from my LGS around 4:00.

11. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Well I picked it up today and ran 100 rounds through it. It was 100% flawless. The only issue that I could find is that it seemed to ding the brass a little bit. This seemed to get better the more rounds I shot. It's not really a big deal to me as I don't (yet) reload and it might just take care of itself after a couple hundred more rounds. I shot better with it than my P95 or my buddies .44 Mag. I love the feel and I think I will like it better once I put some nicer grips on (already ordered and on the way). Fit and finish is OK, the barrel has some tool marks that I will polish out, but what can you expect for a sub $500 1911. This is my first 1911 and I can now say it will not be my last.

12. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Congratulations on the great purchase. In my opinion the 1911's from the Phillipine companys like Rock Island and ATI are like Taurus' firearms; they're a hit or miss, but the hit rate is 75% whereas Taurus' hit rate is 25%. Not hitting on them just mearly stating my observation on them over the years.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

@firearms4ever, speaking of Filipino 1911's, I've handled one of the Hi Standards when they came out a couple years ago, and they seem to have great fit/finish, and feel like a real solid pistol. Mr. Wray has one that he's tinkered with a bit, and he loves it.

14. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I just got a RIA 4" .45 GI model. Seems to be pretty tight, maybe two tight (I did run it wet). Put 50 rds through it & several times a round would nose straight into the feed ramp & stop. Each time, all I had to do was pull back on the slide a little & it'd sling-shot on in. I blame that on being a little tight & me not maybe getting all the preservative goo cleaned out of it.

Take-up on the trigger, after that first cleaning, seemed a little gritty, but broke clean at 5-1/4 lbs & racking the slide felt gritty also. After shooting & cleaning, the trigger seems to be better, but still some roughness with the slide. The slide rails & frame rails showed pretty even wear of the parkerized finish & I'm guessing that just needs a little more exercise.

All in all, I'm pleased with it, balances real well & no hammer bite. Shot one 7 rd. mag load from a rest & it shot a little low, but later in the 50 rd., free handing, it seemed to be coming up. Of course, I'm not a good shot anyway & can usually do about as well 'point & shoot' as I can using the sights.:rolleyes:

15. trrogers24

trrogers24 New Member

I carry an RIA Officer and have never had an issues with it.