Rock Island Armory .45s?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by WannaGator, May 22, 2010.

1. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

Hey Yall I heard about these a few years ago but never thought much more about them after the purchase of the Glock 30.

Would like to have another 1911 as I once owned an Auto Ordinance GI model .45 ACP.

The Rock Island Armory models seem inexpensive which is a Big + in this economy.

Any thoughts, insights or observations?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Good solid entry level guns. Do a search here as there are a ton of threads about them...

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Folks that have them seem to really like them. I had one, but unfortunately it was a lemon.

4. stone2

stone2 New Member

I have got two of them i love them they are great guns

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I had one of the Tactical ones a while back. It was the only 1911 that needed a break in period but other than that it was a great pistol. They are well worth the money going into them. I would get the tactical over the other mainly for the ambi safety and the trigger seems better. :)

7. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

I've been looking for a Rock Island up here and can't find one in a shop ! But yet, can order one if I really wanted to. But wont buy one without "fondling".
    From what I've learned on this forum, most good reviews. Few bad.. Better than the Taurus track record !! And I carry one of those too.:confused:

I would buy one after fondling.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I wouldn't be afraid to buy one. Everyone I've talked to with one has been happy with it and they shoot well.

9. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

I have a few of them and they are great guns, especially for the money.

10. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Great workhorses. Got a .45 tactical just recently and it is my gettin dirty gun. Ill probably take it hog hunting with me when i go as my backup to my super blackhawk. So i dont get my colts dirty any more. After a break in period this thing has been drop dead reliable.

11. mjtaur

mjtaur New Member

I'm Looking for an entry 1911 and need to be convinced that I should not buy one. I've been all over the Internet and it seems that the only people who have range reports on them have given the thumbs up. If I get one I'll be sure to do a full range report. For around $400 it's tempting.

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you are looking for someone to dissuade you, you are in the wrong section.:)

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

In other words, dan and most of the folks here like them pretty well.

I would stick with what you want from the get go. I haven't read much bad about them.

14. GMACK

GMACK New Member

Had a plane jane GI model. Shot and functioned like a champ. Parted with it only because I needed some cash. Great value for a low cost.

15. LDJ

LDJ New Member

I have 6 of them. Only 1911s I own. I have the compact GI, FS GI, park'd FS Tactical, matte nickel FS Tactical, Hi Cap GI, and the 9mm FS Tac. All are utterly reliable. You might want to put about 2-3 hundred rounds of hard ball prior to feeding JHP to break in the action.

Don't think you can go wrong with a Rock and their customer service is top notch.

16. Poof38

Poof38 New Member

I bought one last summer for $379 + tax and really like it. It seems to want a break in with 200 gr. SWC, but it shoots surprisingly well (read that as small groups). I bought it to shoot Wild Bunch side matches....but then, who needs an excuse to buy another gun? I just saw a compact model last weekend for about $100 more. If I wanted another compact 1911, I woulda taken it home.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Rock Island .45 1911 Compact CSP Price: $389.99

Rock Island .45 1911 Compact CSP Part #AC-RI1911-CSP

Attached Files:

18. murraywc

murraywc New Member

Para and American Classic both build one in the price range. in fact i can get an American classic cheaper than Rock Island here because I have a local dealer that will let me have it cash out the door $450. By the time I buy the RI at 389 + shipping + FFL I'm pretty close so my question is how are the AC and Para compared to the RI. I had seen the Para in a Riffleman mag but had never heard of the American Classic. The shop owner said he liked his better than his Kimber but he's trying to sell one. Anyone know about these?

19. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The American Classic is another that's made in the Philippines like the Rock Island. Probably about the same quality but they are made by different companies. The RIA has a well documented history with great customer service so I'd stay with a known pistol myself. The Para is OK, a friend has one, but I see no real advantage over a RIA...