Rock Island Armory 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Speezly, May 2, 2013.

1. Speezly

Speezly New Member

I got this new from my lgs and it came very very heavily oiled. I wiped it down but did not field strip it to get the excess oils from inside of the slide, etc. should I just go ahead and shoot it or would it be wiser to field strip and give it a thorough wipe down inside and out first?

Attached Files:

2. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I shot mine right out of the box.

3. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

I'm sure it would be fine to shoot but the wetter it is the more it will gunk up, I personally like to break them down and get a little "bonding" time with my new guns. Good to know your firearm before you shoot it.

4. Speezly

Speezly New Member

Bonding time is the plan... Hopefully be able to take it out this weekend and see what it's like at the range.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally i like to field strip mine and clean them and make sure nothing is in the bore and to do a quick lookover to make sure everything is GTG. a light oiling and then shoot the snot out of them.

6. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

Clean it. You have no idea how many hands that's passed through or how long it set somewhere. Or what the people in the factory did before packaging. Clean the whole thing and throw a little extra oil on the rails. I'd do it right before shooting.

7. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

Strip it!! Inspect it!!! Oil it, shoot the color off of it!!
    Its my edc carry. Cleaned it, ran 500 in in a day.(Back when ammo was cheap)
    Nary a problem since. Enjoy

Attached Files:

8. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Make sure you give us a full report, with pictures of course.

9. thewildwonder

thewildwonder New Member

My rock! Goes everywhere it legally can with me. Never fails! I love it and trust it with my life.

Attached Files: