rock island armory 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by shannon, Jan 29, 2009.

1. shannon

shannon New Member

I purchased a Rock Island Armory 1911 last week at a gun show in Tyler, Texas. For $399.00, I thought it was a good buy after I read all of these forums on them. I bought the 4'' Commander style. After 100 rounds, the slide would not cycle anymore. I took the gun home, and broke it down.The instuctions stated this pistol was meant for {230 grain factory fmj } only. If that would have been written on the box on display, I wouldn`t have purchased this gun ! The ejector was bent, only 100 rounds through the gun ! The factory 8 round magazine did not work with 8 rounds in it, it will with 7. I should have bought the Springfield Armory for $75.00 more. My gunsmith laughed at the week metals in this gun, he tried to punch the pin out to get the ejector out. The pin mushroomed in the setting as he tried to punch it out, the metal was too soft. He ordered a strong ejector and pin from ''Brownell`s''. I am now gonna be $85.00 over the price of the gun.I contacted Armscor on their web-site, no response in 1 week. Spend a little more and get the Springfield Armory.I will take the Rock Island back to the range after my gunsmith gets done with it and let you know how it does.:eek:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Shannon - That is truly horrible news, I am sorry to hear that. Please do keep us informed of the goings on as we like to let all of our members know who is, and who is not, a good company to deal with.

Best of luck in your repair effort.

Anyone with a RIA seen this 230 FMJ warning before?

JD

EDIT: Shannon, I added a thumbs down to the title to get some more folks in here to read and respond, hopefully with some information for you. JD

3. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Right in the manual it states the the RIA 1911 is only guaranteed to work with 230 grain FMJ ammo.

First rule: Always read the manual before using the firearm regardless of how well educated you think you may be on a certain type of firearm.

With that said, it sounds like you got a lemon RIA 1911 and I'm sorry to hear about it. I hope you get it repaired/replaced really soon. I have had no problem with mine, but mine is a full size government model. The RIA does have softer metal than the Springfields and Kimbers out there. That is one of the reasons the cost is down.

I hope the pistol works good for you after you get the gunsmith work done. If not, then get a Springfield or Kimber right away.

EDIT: What rounds did you use with the RIA? Were they factory 230 grain, or did you run reloads/hot rounds?

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That just really baffles my mind that they are able to move products with that in their own manual. :eek:

What good is the damn thing if you plan on reloading to save cost, or God forbid, don't have 230gr. FMJ available in your immediate area??

Yeah, you can reload for .230 grain with a FMJ bullet - but you get my point, there are more accurate loads out there.

I would have to give a big thumbs down to RIA based on that information...

JD

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Shannon WELCOME to the forum and let’s hope we can help change this bad experience with some good advice. Is there any way you can photo the RIA warning and post the pic here?

I'm not questioning you; just want the members to see what the mfgs are selling!

We have several RIA owners here and I've never heard of this ridiculous restriction applied to a 1911 design! JM Browning must be rolling over in his grave!

# 1, you should have sent the gun back to RIA or to the dealer you purchased it from at minimum. RIA will just say the gun has been modified now. Sorry, if the work has not been done yet I’d stop and send the gun back as-is!

If not 230 gr FMJ, what were you shooting? The commander should eat most anything short of aggressive hollow points!

Is the receiver (frame) steel or alloy?

My guess is that with a ‘new’ and most likely over-tight extractor in conjunction with an improperly heat-treated (read; cheap) ejector you would wind up with a bent part.

The 8 vs 7 round mag problem doesn’t surprise me. If you keep the gun, do yourself a favor and upgrade to a name-brand (Wilson Combat 47 series) magazine.

“I should have bought the Springfield…” Na, a COLT! [​IMG]

Forget the web site, other than getting their mailing address! Write a letter demanding they replace the gun with a new working unit. That’s what you expected when you laid down your cash. (Was it cash or CC? If on credit card, stop payment and get them involved!) Tell RIA you do not trust this gun and you fear shooting it. Send it certified mail with a received signature card. Record/copy any and all correspondences (including your web site contact) and bills/estimates. Don’t settle for anything short of reimbursements for repairs.

Keep in touch and let us know how you do.

PS: I am not a firearms attorney and do not play one on TV! :p

6. shannon

shannon New Member

The rounds i used was PMC 230grn fmj factory, and Remington UMC 230 grn FMj

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  7. shannon

shannon New Member

I have 2 Springfields and 2 Colts, but wanted a 4'' inch ''more affordable'' 1911 to use for carry..

8. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Happen to snap any pictures while the gunsmith was working on it? Would be great to post here and send to them.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You used what they recommended??

I would have shoved the commander, wishing it was a government just for the extra size, up their ass!!

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had a RIA Tactical model for a short time. It regularly failed to feed and the slide failed to lock open with Les Baer and Kimber mags. Apparently it states in the manual that the pistol is only guaranteed to work with factory supplied mags. They only provide one mag with the pistol. They are Act Mag magazines.

I had absolutely no faith in this pistol and didn't trust it. So I consigned it to the shop. I took a loss, but I was shed of it.

While I understand that every now and then a lemon comes along, I will never buy a RIA product again. I wouldn't trust my life to one.

11. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I guess it shows here that when you are only paying 400 dollars or under for a 1911, it can be "touch-and-go" as far as quality goes.

CA357 got a lemon RIA 1911, but in contrast, I got a really good specimen. My RIA works just fine. There is no abnormal wear and tear (i.e. peening, bent parts, etc...) on my 1911. I have no issues using it to defend my home at this point (at least until I get my XD and my Sigma broken in with the recommended 250-500 rounds).

12. 741512th

741512th New Member

Crappy situation. Take solace in the fact that you wouldn't be in a better situation with the Springfield. I think the axiom "You get what you pay for" applies here.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1 to that, just spend (or save up until you can) the bucks and get a quality gun. [​IMG]

You know get something a little closer to your idea of what your life is worth. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. shannon

shannon New Member

I just called Armscor. I couldn`t hardly understand what the gunsmith was saying there, he had an oriental accent, He offered to send me another ejector and pin. I am not a gunsmith, so,.. I am glad I made the decision to take it to my gunsmith and have American parts installed in it.

15. Dadoo

Dadoo New Member

RIA Issues

Shannon,

As a proud RIA compact owner I'm really sorry you've had such problems. Did you contact these people:
    Welcome to Advanced Tactical Firearms
    You can email Ivan directly or call them and let them know. They are good folks and want their customers satisfied. Good luck.

16. shannon

shannon New Member

No, I never heard of them. Thanks, I will see what they have to say. However, I already have my RIA in my gunsmith`s shop since RiA never did contact me. I will try these people, are they associated with RIA?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

NOTE TO MODS: THIS IS NOT A THREAD HIJACKING!

All members, here is a classic example of the value of our forum! (Intelligent database system)

Shannon, I mean no disrespect but this type of information would have been a sh1tload more valuable to you had you had this phone # before you went to the gunsmith, hell before you bought the weapon.

When I buy a gun, whether new or new to me, I call the manufacture (prior to exchanging cash) and describe the purchase, including S/N. I then ask this question; “Does (Colt) know of any defects with this specific firearm? Do you know any reason that would cause (Colt) to recommend/inform me not to buy this firearm? (and) How do you spell your name?”

I suggest we (FTF) add an additional Sub-Forum titled Manufactures and list specific contact information, names and numbers and even recommendations of people within the manufactures that make life easier. A-hole avoidance system.
    We should assign a member (I would be glad to offer my time) to contact said manufactures and invite them to liaison with us by assigning a designated MFG/FTF contact person/number to handle gun/product specific issues.

JD, matt g, notdku, bkt, anyone else, this could give us a big leg up on the creditability ladder.

I came to the FTF for help, got it and would like to respond in kind.

What say??

18. shannon

shannon New Member

I see what you are saying Cane. I read the forums on this gun and alot of people said it was a good gun. I took their words for it and didn`t bother to go any further. This is the only handgun ''out of the 10 - 12 that i have'' that I ever had a problem with. My Colts, Glocks, and Berettas never gave a hint of a problem. You are right, next time I venture into the unknown, I will get all of the contact and warranty information first.

19. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I have a Rock Island Armory 1911 in Gov't style (pictured in my avatar) with the 5 inch barrel and I have never had that problem. I bought it used, it was only a year old, the previous owner was moving and needed the money. I bought it for $300 with two mags and a case and extra grips. I use FMJ's for target practice but I carry it with hollow points in it. I've used different brands from Federal Hydra-Shok, Georgia Arms, Remington, Blazzer (which is what's in my mags now). You name it, my 1911 has fired it and fired it flawlessly. I've had it for 3 years now and it has NEVER jammed, not once. It has digested every brand of hollow points and FMJ's that I've loaded it with.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck--I guess I just go a good specimen like SGT. MILLER.

20. shannon

shannon New Member

No response from these people either.