Rock Island 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by louieboots, Dec 7, 2011.

1. louieboots

louieboots New Member

I went to my local gun shop today and seen a Rock Island 1911 .45 pistol for 399$..I'm thinking of buying one but I don't know anything about this gun..Is this a good buy?and are these guns dependable? Or crap? Any feed back will greatly appreciated thanks..

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

If you browse the 1911 forum you will find several threads about the RIA that will give you alot of info. The RIA is a good 1911 and worth every penny.

3. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Thanks! I've been looking at some YouTube reviews so far so good I'm gonna purchase it tommorow..

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Let us know how ya like it.

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Be sure to post some pics and a range report when you get some trigger time

6. louieboots

louieboots New Member

I will let you guys know how I like it once I get it and break it in..

7. Adw1989

Adw1989 New Member

I just bought that same gun today, and put some checkered desert stripewood grips on it. Looks good and shoots great. Got mine for $349 before tax and id say imo it was a great buy.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Who started this dam "Break In" stuff :confused:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  9. gollygee

gollygee New Member

May not need a break-in, but might should check it out to find out if you got one of the good ones, or not. ;)

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree on that but thats got nothing to do with "breaking in" :confused:
    You "break in" a new wife - not a gun :rolleyes:

11. louieboots

louieboots New Member

Well its not gonna sit there lookin pretty I'm gonna put some rounds through that bitch! Break it in like you do a new girlfriend! Lol

12. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Yup! Just what I thought. :mad: This is the warranty registration card for the new Rock Island Armory 1911A1 Officers Model I bought last week.

[​IMG]

It looks like a feeble attempt to cover their butts. Sorta like, "Don't call us till after you have 500 rds of .45 ACP ball thru it". Never seen such a thing.

This is the little hide-out version, 3 1/2 bbl, not a range model. I doubt the average person ever shoots 500 rds total with one of these. What the crap are these gun companies gonna come up with next?

I guess you get what you pay for. I'll know after 100 rds if it needs a little tweeking. What a deal..........Ken

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  13. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

I've got well over 2000 rounds through my officers model and it hasn't caused me any heartache yet. Mine is a damn nice gun for the money.

14. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Thanks Tim, thats good to hear. I like my other RIA 1911s, run like swiss watches. My problem is with a factory that recommends a 500 rd break in period, seems a tad bit excessive to me. :confused:

I bought this Officers Model for CCW, IWB carry. I got into longslides for my range time about 20 yrs ago. I need all the help I can get! :D

[​IMG]

They are good look'in weapons louie, you'll love it! -- Ken

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  15. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Member Lifetime Supporter

Good luck with that one, I would comment but my wife of 25 years is on this forum.;)

16. gollygee

gollygee New Member

They didn't require me to have 500 rounds before sending it in for repair, only had just over 300. Of course, the problem was failure to chamber the first round about 25% of the time. I told them what I'd done, trying to pinpoint the problem & Shawn said send it in.