Rock island 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by FaTmAn, May 16, 2011.

1. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

Hey been thinking about getting another pistol and was looking at the Rock Island 1911. So my question is it worth the 400.00 bucks? Is it a piece of crap? I need opinions please.

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have two RIA 1911's one full size and one compact. I like them both. They have both been solid never an issue with either.
    It is only my opinion but I don't think it is a bad $400 spent.
    Again here is my 13 y/o daughter shooting the compact with stock mag.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5BtOVYC6Sc]YouTube - LillyRIA.3GP[/ame]

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I believe that there are a lot of RIA's that have worked out for people.
    And, as with everything else, you get what you pay for and there will always be a couple with problems. Those are the ones that one hears about.

One "ah,sh$t" wipes out 1,000 "atta-boys".

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I hear all over they have great service - Lord knows thats a good thing :rolleyes:
    I'm sure Colt, Springfield, others on & on & on have great service too-
    You just dont hear about it as much? I'm sure theres a reason :cool:
    Personally I've owned 2 - Wont be a 3rd ------

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I've had two and both were pieces of garbage. Are all RIA's garbage? Apparently not, but both of mine were.

6. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

that pretty much makes up my mind that i prolly dont want to waste my money on a RIA

7. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Ria

FaTmAn: Sir, I have one, and would probably have another had Ruger not came out with the SR1911
    We took my RIA, first day; blasted 200 rds without issue. Sights are my only issue. Which I'm working on a ''good'' simple cheap ''up-grade'' fix.

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I had a Citadel Compact which is made by the same manufacturer of RIA, Armscor. It was poor quality in my opinion as well.

In the past I would have suggested American Classic as an alternative, but I just bought one and it went straight back to the warranty center as soon as I got it out of the box. My experience echoes others, you typically get what you pay for.

9. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

well i guess i am blessed i own 3 two used and between the two over 10k in them, and a new tac with 500+ in the pipe. The only thing i did was put new wolf in both the used ones and no problems at all

10. EDF924

EDF924 New Member

I purchased a New, Rock Island, Tactical, last year and find it to be a nice 1911. Armscor, has a good service department from what I have read if you purchase new.

Like any make, some owners will swear by the maker and some will tell of their terrible experience.

I found that you can buy a from any manufacturer and have problems or have a perfect experience.

After buying AMT, Colt, Kimber and Rock Island, my experience has been good with all.

It's impossible to know with certainty the reliability of a pistol, out of the box, unless it was custom built and tested with hundreds of rounds.

I'm not afraid to take a chance on any 1911 since most problems can be fixed.

FWIW... Hope this helps you.

Attached Files:

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Kimber produces ten times as many (or more) than RIA.

Most 1911, "duds" aren't duds at all, but the result of noobs buying a 1911 and having no idea what they have.

My RIA was a POS and now it's gone.

12. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

I'm starting to see a pattern here some like them other's don't i think ill just save my money and prolly get the that new ruger 1911 for 800.00

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

VERY wise move :cool:
    I'm sure if you shop you'll do better than $800 ;)

15. clax

clax New Member

I have a rock island, the first pistol I ever bought. I ran about 5000 rounds through it and the sear started to get a little weak and the gun would double and triple fire on occasions. So I rebuilt the sear, beaver tailed it and put a skelleten trig, hammer on it a total of abou75 dollars for parts and original price for the gun, new. 299.99. I like it all right, very trusty. My beratta pt 92 was a piece of garbage I didn't have that hunk of junk two years before it needed rebuild and beretta gives you the finger if the gun is over a year old, I will never perchase their products again.

My rock island must be the rare good one

16. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I do not bash Rock Island pistols, I do my best to only point out that the two I had were crap. Many folks have them, like them and have no problems with them. If you really want a Rock, buy one. Chances are more than likely that it will be just fine.

17. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

ive owned my for a couple years now and have put a couple thousand rounds through it without a problem just my experince.

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Same here. The one Armscor pistol I had was, what I consider, insufficient in quality. I ended up getting rid of it after a few months.