Rock Island 1911

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Phelenwolf, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I just picked up my first Compact 1911 today and I am very excited. I purchased a Rock Island 1911 Compact for $450.

I am very impressed with the pistol and surprised at the same time. I did not expect such a good pistol for the price. The only draw back is that it came with one magazine.
    I am looking for some more magazines for it but am not sure which mag's it will use. I have seen the Commander and Officer magazines, which is the correct magazine to purchase or can they both be used?

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Are you going to post a range report with pics!! Please!

adding another possible 1911 to the list.......

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Post a pic if you would. RIA makes a 4" gun with regular frame as well as officer frame models. Most likely is an officer frame...

5. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

all 1911mags work just the 4in wont fit the full size spend a little more
    and get some good ones tripp wilson or novacs

6. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Sorry for the delay in posting some pic's but have been sick with strep.:(

As soon as I get better I am going to go to the range and test fire her and will let you know what I find.

I still have my Taurus Model 85
    [​IMG]

to test and

[​IMG]
    a German Walter P-38 as well.

Here is a quick pick I found on my phone when I brought my RIA home.

[​IMG]

Second thing I want to do is change my grips. ANYBODY have any good idea's where I can find some nice grips??

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

That one looks like it'll use government (full-size) mags. Like everyone else, I'll recommend Tripp or Wilson. Simple way to check - if center to center on your grip screws is a tad over 3 inches it's a government frame, if a tad less than 3 inches it's an officers frame.

Grips for 1911s are available at all of the online parts stores as well as gunbroker and ebay...

8. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I measured between the screws with my caliper and it came out to 2.70 so it is a officer frame. Thanks for the info NGIB. The only thing that sucks is that I just purchased some magazines for a commander/officer, that are to long for my RIA. They will work but stick out a bit. I think that they were marked wrong, they fit in my full size SA Operator like a glove.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

A Commander has a full length grip just like the government and the Officers is about a half inch shorter...

10. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Thanks, like I said, I found that out when I ordered some spair magazines and they did not fit.

My next question is, what ammo do you all carry in your compacts? I have heard that most compact 1911's do not like hollow-point ammo? So I was just wondering what to use?

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You'll have to figure out which kind YOURS likes. You can't go wrong with PowRballs though. They feed like fmj range ammo.

12. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I have tried several different HP round and still can not get one to load correctly. I am even having trouble loading FMJ's at times. It looks like I will have to do some work on the feed ramp. The angle may to steep to load correctly.

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Please err on the side of safety. Too many have tried to work on feed ramps and have not left enough to support the round sufficiently.

14. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I was going to take it to a gunsmith, I know enough about repairs but not machining. So I will be sending it out.

Does anyone know of a good gun smith here in Az that could help me? I would also be willing to send it out if I have to.

15. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I ended up sending my RIA back to the factory for some repairs since it would not feed anything that I tried to put through it.

They ended up redoing the feed ramp and replacing almost everything inside the pistol. Got it back today after about 4 wks. Which is not bad. They even sent me a free magazine. The only thing that sucks is that the rear site was damaged when I got it back. Looks like they dropped it, so will see what happens when I take it back. If I do not replace the sights anyways.