Rock Island 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Tidalforce79, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

Hey guys, my cousin is considering getting a Rock Island 1911 cause he likes how it looks. Opinions on these guns?

2. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Low Light

Sir; I have one. From the box it goes bang each time you pull the trigger.
    My only negative; the sights; are very difficult for me to pick up in lower light conditions. { we target shoot in a 'patch' of woods }

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I have a friend who has one and I've shot it during our last range trip. I think they are worth what you pay for them. :)

4. jca1

jca1 New Member

RIA's have a great following. Everyone I ever talked to who owned one was very happy with it. It's going to cause major problems in his life though......the 1911 is a sickness.

5. tabdog

tabdog New Member

I have about 1,000 rounds through my
    Model 1911 A-1 FS. (GI model)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is tight, well fitted and shoots to point
    of aim. The sights are small, but there
    are lots of 1911 sights out there that
    will fit. It is 100 percent reliable.

It would seem that, either you get more
    than you pay for, or maybe you are payin
    too much,

Tabdog

6. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

First off, let me say I love your avatar...certain female anatomical parts are the one thing in life that's perhaps as good as guns!

And, I agree with you on the 1911's, I cant wait to get my hands on the lay away Colt. I've never held a gun that felt so natural for me, and I want to get one chambers in .40, 10mm and .38 Super : )

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

RIA makes a pretty good 1911. It's hard to do better for the money. I've had a couple and liked them both.

8. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

As others have said, RIA is a fine entry level 1911, shoots well and accurate. For the price I think you are getting a fine 1911. I prefer mine over my Kimber.:eek:

9. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

I like almost everything about mine.
    The only downfall is that it is chambered pretty tightly...it fails to go full battery with a .452 diameter bullet, but will run without a hitch with .451.
    Several people have mentioned sending it to Armscor Precision, but I just don't know...I can easily just pay attention when ordering my bullets for reloading to make sure it's .451 instead (my Kimber eats anything...).
    As far as factory rounds, I haven't noticed any finickiness... YMMV.

10. soldierman79

soldierman79 New Member

Love it

I friggin LOVE my RIA 1911! Even the wife loves to shoot it. Great pistol for the money. ;)

11. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

I recently bought a RIA 1911 chambered for 9mm. I got the Tactical model with the better sights and some other upgrades.

The gun functions 100% and shoots to the point of aim. The parts fitting and machining are comparable to my Springfield 1911's. I would not hestitate to buy another RIA.

[​IMG]

12. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

RIA's are great 1911 starter pistols and mine goes bang every time. Reliable enough to carry, and I have, and I trust it with my life...or yours! :)

Attached Files:

13. franco45

franco45 Member

I too love my RIA. I got the tactical model that has better sights and a number of other upgrades for just a few dollars more.

14. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

The guy at the local gunstore told me he would order me a brand new Rock Island GI model, in 38 super, for 400 bucks. I may take him up on that

15. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

welcome to the rock

i have 2 a fs and a 4 in 4k in the 5in 1.5k in the 4 in nary a problem in either
    and they are in my edc love em both:D:cool: