ROCK ISLAND 1911 compact.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Tdizon0814, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Tdizon0814

Tdizon0814 New Member

Anyone out there that OWNS, SHOT the rock island 1911 compact? I need feedbacks about this gun. Thinking of getting one. I held one today at a local gun store and love the way it felt. A little heavy but manageable.

2. capstone

capstone New Member

I have one, or had one. My wife now uses it as her CCW. I loved it. Now she loves it. I found it to be a little snappy. But, that was expected. All in all a awesome weapon

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Shot one- Dont have one - WANT ONE :cool:

4. Tdizon0814

Tdizon0814 New Member

How much do they go for NIB? They were selling it for about $459, is that around the ball park?

5. Tdizon0814

Tdizon0814 New Member

Being a compact 45, how was the recoil? Im planning to upgrade my cc from a sigma 9mm to this compact 1911

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. capstone

capstone New Member

I paid 399 for mine from buds a while back. I saw them listed on another online site not long ago for 389. Recoil is manageable It's a little snappy, but easy to re acquire your sights and put more rounds on target

7. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have one. Paid $400 for it NIB from a local gun store. I love the way it shoots & handles.......recoil ain't bad at all.

8. capstone

capstone New Member

I'm not a huge 45 guy, but I have two RIA's. I love them both. For the money you can't beat them. Personally, to me, there is not a lot of difference in a RIA and a Kimber. Especially for the extra cash you have to throw down for a Bigger name weapon.

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Friend just bought one for $409 at a local shop. Said it shoots good but a little heavy for carry(his words). I have not shot it yet.

10. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Now wait a minute.... Nothing against the RI but not being a 1911 guy i guess its hard to tell the difference.

I held one today and looking at it, it appears to be a decent piece but it kills me when people immediately dismiss higher price pistol because they won't pay that much for one so they bash them, not saying your bashing but its the same as saying its no different than a colt, or an Ed Brown.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Sure there is-
    RIA has a good warranty :p

12. capstone

capstone New Member

I certainly was not bashing Kimber, Colt, Brown or any other manf. I have a few different models of differently made weapons. Personally, to me, I don't see a big difference in the weapons. Just a opinion. I have a few AR's. The latest one is a bushmaster car15. I also have a colt and a stag. It's the same platform, just a different flavor. The stag and colt are certainly not worth the 300-400 more than the bushy cost. To me.

I was just saying that for the price of a RIA, you were getting as good of a weapon as you would for spending the extra cash on a " better built" weapon.

Ive never had a issue with my RIA or my para, or my Springfield. Clean it, oil it, put a round in it and fire it. I've never had a issue with paying for what I wanted at the time. But, why pay extra???

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I personally did NOT think you were bashing Kimber ;)
    I WAS :D

14. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I got that.........lol

15. Tdizon0814

Tdizon0814 New Member

Thanks guys for the info.

16. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

You guys make me laugh. But you are right on 2 accounts about RIA. They are a nice handgun for the price and they do have a great service department.

When I bought my RIA Compact 1911-A1CS it would not feed anything. Not even ball ammo. Sent it back and 3 wks later they sent me a totally rebuilt pistol. You can not beat that.

17. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

So far so good with the one I bought last month. $425 OTD at a local gunshow.

[​IMG]

200 rds of ball and 40 rds of JHP without any problems. The smooth factory grips had to go, very slippery.

On new 1911's I like to use white lithium on all wear surfaces, seems to help when they are extra tight.

Pretty darn heavy for it's size, probably best though with the caliber used.

Try one! you'll like it :D

18. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Somebody bashed Kimber in a Rock Island thread?? Who dared?? :confused:

I'll have you know I have a Kimber & got no complaints about it!!:)

Sorry guys, just couldn't help myself! :cool::p

19. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Yes, I have one too. Mine has had just a little over 500 rounds through it with not one, I repeat not one stoppage yet. I can also keep all the shots in the black of a 25' NRA slow fire pistol target at 25 yards. Mine has the smallish GI sights on it too.

20. Tdizon0814

Tdizon0814 New Member

Anybody that lives in las vegas know a gun store that sells one? So far the one I found is at lock n load for $459. most of the online sites are sold out.