RiverRat68's mini shooting challenge

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by hawkguy, Jun 12, 2012.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

alright.....who likes to shoot their mini? :D

in a long lost forum, the posters (like steve4102) were always trying to create opportunities to get out and shoot and share. it made it a fun and active forum! i'm posting my first shooting challenge to the mini owners on this forum. my first challenge will be easy(ish), so i hope everyone with a mini gives it a crack!

*ALL CHALLENGES ARE SHOOTER'S HONOR*

THE RULES OF CHALLENGE #1:

1) any mini 14 or 30 is allowed. any mods are fine, but must be listed when you submit your targets. also mention ammo, etc. these details could help us all.

2) targets must be shot at a true 100 yards (edit: IF the shooter is using ANY optics).
    edit:targets may be shot at 50 yards ONLY if using IRONS

3) target size must be 2". any 2" target measured will work. size of overall target may be larger, as long as the bull equals 2".

HOW TO BEAT THE CHALLENGE: the shooter must shoot 5 shot groups. to beat the challenge, the shooter must put all 5 shots into or touching the 2" target on 2 separate targets. if the shooter misses 1 or more shots out of the 5 shot group, they must start over with a new target. once the shooter has 2 separate 5 shot groups within or touching their 2 inch targets, they beat the challenge! the shooter must then post pics of the targets AND disclose how many attempts it took to get the two targets. :p remember, it must be at 100 yards or 50 for irons.

*IF you are shooting a TARGET model, you must have all the shoots completely WITHIN the 2", touching is not good enough (hey, its the target model after all)*

IF YOU ATTEMPT THE CHALLEGE: i will ask for all involved to help me on this. if you say you're in on this challenge, help me out. everyone who attempts the challenge and fails will receive a "LIKE" from someone else in the challenge. PLEASE give 1 "LIKE" ONLY for an attempt. however, to get your like, you MUST post pics of your targets and talk about your attempt.

IF YOU BEAT THIS CHALLENGE: again, i will need everyone's help on this. after posting the pics of the 2 5 shot targets required, then you will have beat the first challenge. ANYONE who beats the challenge should receive a "LIKE" from EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THE CHALLENGE (and anyone else who wants to like it i suppose). so, they could get maybe 5-15 likes for their accomplishment.

sorry this was a bit long winded. if i missed anything or something is unclear...please ask. if we get good participation and a lot of mini shooters busting up this challenge, we will step up the difficulty next time.

if you want to be a part of this challenge, just reply with an "I'M IN," and get to the shooting part when you can.

so.....what do ya say? wanna do some shooting?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. hawkguy

hawkguy's in

i guess it goes without saying, but i'll say it anyway...."i'm in!"

i think i can beat this one, but the question is on how many attempts? i hope to smoke it in two attempts for my ol pal steve!

i can't say how long it'll be before i give it a go, but i will definately try it next time i get my mini to the range.

here is 17 out of 20 i put into 2" for an old (and harder) challenge. my personal best on that one.

looking forward to seeing what you guys can do. i predict steve or tri might be the first to beat this, if they're in....

Attached Files:

3. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

4. hawkguy

what do you think, steve? too easy? :cool:

5. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I'm In

I'm in!
    I've got several new loads to try out anyway, and a new Hogue stock!!!:)

6. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

No perfect for the first one.

As you know I (my son) had a new Mini-30 Tactical a few months back that I tried to accurize. I got it shooting OK then sold it to a friend. I still have access to that rifle and I will run that one through your challenge as well, if that's OK.

7. hawkguy

game on. tlurker! :)

8. hawkguy

too easy for the asi, huh?

whatever you want to do, steve. good luck!

9. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

The ASI is having some changes made. Duno if they will be better or worse for accuracy, but rest assured she will print out a target or two in your contest.

10. tri70

tri70 New Member

I'm in! I will all 3 minis going hopefully and get them in 2"

11. hawkguy

awesome! good luck, tri!

12. 67rschev

67rschev New Member

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Hey HAWKGUY,
    JMO, a target with a 2" bull is not very appropriate for iron sights at 100 yards, you cannot get a proper sight picture at that range. It is fine for optics though. On another forum a few years back, I started a 2 MOA iron sight club for the Mini guys. To get a repeatably good sight picture with iron sights, we used a target with a 12" bull. At 100 yards, that 12" bull was the same width as the front sight blade in the sight picture.

Jim...........

14. hawkguy

oh, great. now i can't even finish 3rd in my own contest. :p

awesome 67! good to see you here.

15. hawkguy

having recently shot with irons at 100 yards, i know you're right. and yeah, some pretty large targets look rather small at that disatnce. its something i didn't think about. 2" is definately too small to see well.

what should i do to modify the challenge? adjust the distance to 50 yards for irons? i have shot at 2"-3" bulls from 50 with some good success with irons (splatter or bright targets help). if a larger target is appropriate, that would be ok as well i would think.

i definately would like you (and others who prefer irons) in this challenge. please help me figure out the appropiate adjustment to make the challenge fair. anyone who shoots at these distances with irons, please provide input.

thanks

16. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Actually, staying at 100 yards with irons would be fine. Just need to use a target with a larger bull for an aim point. The bull could be anywhere from 8" to 12" and should be shooter's choice. All we are trying to do is shoot our best group or groups. Another thing to consider with optics is the magnification of the scope the shooter is using. Some may have low power scopes and others may have high end, high magnification scopes. To be fair to optics users, a 4" bull may be in order at 100 yards. As an example, on my heavy barrel Sako A11 in .243, I can go up to 24 power. At 100 yards using a 2" bull on 16 power, I can shoot a 1/4" group, but on 6 power using the same 2" bull, sight picture is not as precise and my groups open up a bit. Leveling the field with. a larger bull for optics and irons, I think would be better for for everyone. What we don't want is to have potential shooters shy away and not shoot when they see someone post some super groups. I think that happened over on the other forum when I introduced the 2 MOA iron sight club challenge. This should be made a fun challenge for all involved.

Jim...............:):)

17. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Another thing that should be required are photos of the rifle used, any mods listed, ammo used and targets. It should all be included in the post.

Jim.........

18. hawkguy

well, i absolutely want ALL shooters to feel comfortable in shooting the challenge. this is why posters get a "like" for just attempting the challenge. no one is going to make fun of anyone's shooting here. if they did, i'm certain myself and others would correct that. :mad:

as far as leveling the playing field....i'm not sure how that is even possible. i already know i don't shoot as well as at least 4 other posters that have accepted the challenge (already...i'm at the bottom...lol). some people will have target minis, some will have better irons sight systems, some have minis that just plain shoot better, some have better scopes, some posters are better marksmen than other.....do you see my point?

in the end, any challenge i issue will be for one sole purpose. to get posters shooting and talking about their shooting.

AND imo, this contest is not all about the groups. its also about marksmanship and POI staying consistent (which can be hard for a mini & the shooter).

i joked around, but this challenge won't be easy for me at all. it will likely take me several tries. heck, i never beat any shooting challenge on another forum, but i had fun trying.

i will also admit, that i was completely wrong about the irons. iron sight shooting is more challenging than scope shooting at distances for obvious reasons. i can't even see a 2" bull at 100 yards. it was an oversight on my part.

to be consistent, i would still like to see iron sighted shooters have to hit the target all 5 times. my thought at this time is a 3" target (or bull) at 50 yards for iron sights with the same requirements. choose your own target as long as all 5 shots hit or touch the 3". sounds kinda doable to me? i will even shoot for this challenge as well. are you in, masterp?

19. hawkguy

completely agree! in the first post i did request that the shooter post pics of the targets. i also started that they should list mods and ammo choices/loads. i hope it will be a great learning experience for all this way.

20. hawkguy

deleted post

deleted post