Rimfire Scope

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by MOshooter, Mar 28, 2014.

1. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I'm in the market for a nice 22 rimfire scope,I just purchased a Ruger 10 22 50th anniversary LVT 22 rifle for my daughter and looking to spend 150.00-230.00 max.,hopefully south of the 200.00 mark! :D

Here's the rifle i'm in the market for a scope
    http://www.ruger.com/products/1022DE/images/1237.jpg

So far from what little research i've done these two scopes seem to have good reviews in the price range I would like to stay in.
    Any members here with any experience with the two scopes linked below,the first redfield battlezone tac-22 or the Nikon P-22?

Also any and all recommendations for another brand or model variable rimfire scope in the 150.00-230.00 price range or less is appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.opticsplanet.com/redfield-battlezone-tac-22-2-7x34mm-riflescope.html
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-22-2-7x32mm-rifle-scope.html

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I was going to suggest the Nikon P22 before I saw it on your short list. If I needed another rimfire scope today, that would be the one. Or you can spend aittle more on the P223, so that in the future you can move it to a centerfire rifle.

Not familiar with the Redfield. Number one quality of any scope is holding zero. To know that beforehand, you have to ask the real users.

3. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Merc,
    Thanks for the suggestion,i've heard a lot of good reviews on Nikon scopes. I have no Nikon scopes,but do have a pair of Nikon binoculars that are outstanding.
    I think I will stay with a dedicated rimfire scope for this rifle for the 50 yd. parallax. She will be plinking/target shooting from 25 yds. out to 100 yards,maybe some small game hunting?

4. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I strongly agree with the Nikon. I have a Bushnell 4x on my rimfire and it does just fine...
    However, i just put a Nikon P223 on a centerfire and was extremely impressed with the quality. If you are purchasing it specifically for your .22 then go ahead and get the P22. The bdc reticle is designed for the trajectory of the rimfire ballistics.

5. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

nosaj,
    Thanks for the input.
    The Nikon P22 for 150.00 looks to be a good solid scope for the money,all reviews were 5 stars on opticplanet.

6. therukh

therukh New Member

P22 or P223

I agree with what Mercator says. I went with the P223 for my S&W AR15-22 and love it!

7. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

therukh,
    Thanks for the input,looks like the Nikons are very popular scopes.

My thoughts for staying with the p-22 or another rimfire scope's the parallax setting which is normally 50 yards for rimfire scopes,also the bdc reticle will match the 22lr trajectory.

Thanks again

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Don't expect too much from the BDC reticle, given the wide variety of 22LR bullet velocities. The P-series reticles are nice anyway, but the actual bullet drop will have to be calibrated for the individual gun model+the ammo.

9. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I use the less expensive high powered rifle scopes on my 22's in the lower magnification range (2x7 or less). The only difference in theses and those made for the 22 is the parallax setting. Most HP scopes are pre set to be parallax free at about 150 yds and most 22 scopes are set at 50 to 75 yds. :)
    So far the rabbits, squirrels, varmints, and tin cans don't know the difference. :D

10. string1946

string1946 New Member

I've got one of the Redfield Battlezone TAC 22 on a Ruger American Rimfire and have only shot around 50 rounds through it but like it just fine. Haven't tested the BDC yet.

11. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I completely understand there's a lot of variables in ammo and firearms and that the BDC reticles get you in the general area,but like everything else will need to be fine tuned to the rifle and ammo. That's part of the fun in setting up a new shooting rig :D

Jim are you sure those varmints and critters can't tell the difference between the scope's parallax setting? :D haha

I've done the same with most of my other 22 rifles,I have less expensive HP scopes mounted. I'm just looking for something with a BDC recticle for the 22 lr for my daughters new rifle w/o breaking the bank.

String Thanks for the input on the Redfield Battlezone TAC22. I haven't seen one in person yet,but the reviews I have read were all very positive.

Thanks again everyone for the Rimfire Scope replies.

I have an older Leupold 3-9 compact with target turrets and a dot recticle,if we can't decide on a new scope we may just mount that until we decide on a new scope?
    Thanks again

12. therukh

therukh New Member

Wow! That's what I would use, hands down! I used to use a Leupold 2-7 Compact on my 10-22 and loved it! I have always used regular high powered rifle scopes for my .22's and have never had any problems. I did break down and had Leupold build a 2-7 with the parallax set to 50 yards and a reticle (I forget the name) with 2 dots under the crosshairs. I use it on my AWC suppressed Ruger 77-22. Works great!

13. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

therukh your Leupold and 77-22 sounds like a sweet quiet shooter :cool:

I was trying to save the leupold compact for one of my future rifles,and find a nice scope for my daughters rifle.

She's graduating High School,the rifle's not a graduation present,just an appreciation present...She has made straight A's all the way through High School,Dad's very proud,and thinks she deserves a new 22 rifle. :)

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

MO, that's a thoughtful thing on your part for rewarding her for all the hard work and effort. sure hope you find something suitable for the rifle.

15. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Axxe Big Thanks,

I bought a Ruger 10/22 LVT 50 anniv. 22 rifle for her,it should be here next week and I can't wait to hand it over to her. She definitely deserves it and much more for all of her accomplishments,I'll have her out shooting her boyfriend in no time! :D haha

Thanks again

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022DE/images/1237.jpg

16. Axxe55

you're welcome. i think the younger generation, the ones who do apply themselves with hard work should have that hard work recognized and shown that it pays off. and yes, good for you to recognize those accomplishments as her father. she will cherish that rifle for her entire lifetime, it coming from you. :D

17. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Thank you Axxe,

I believe hard work deserves to be recognized and rewarded. We (wife&I) have been very fortunate raising both our children w/o any big problems,they've both done very well.

Plus I need to work on the gun count ratio between brother and sister,the boy made out like a bandit in the gun dept. :D

18. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I shot a friends' 10/22 to compare his P-22 to my older one with a Redfield. I like the P-22 much better.
    MO: good for you that your kid is a good kid and deserves it! Another friend who will become a "Shooting" friend shortly is a father of 4, the oldest 36 and the youngest just south of 16, and he wants to get her( the almost 16 y.o.) a 10/22 because he took her to "Appleseed" last year and she "Blew it Out" she was that good, so she wants to be on the HS shooting team.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  19. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Thanks DrFootball,
    She's been very good,great grades and a positive attitude,a pleasure to watch her grow through the years into an adult. Seems the Nikon scopes all have good owner reviews,I'll probably order a Nikon p-22 this week after stopping by Bass Pro to evaluate some glass. Appleseed seems like excellent way to learn and polish one's rifle skills,we may look into some local Appleseed shoots.

It's good to see the younger generations picking up the shooting sports,hope your friends daughter makes the HS shooting team.
    My Son excelled in skeet/trap shooting sport,he worked at a sporting clays club where he learned the game and made the 4H five person skeet/trap Missouri team,that year they nationally competed in Rapid city,SD. Where their team took 1st place nationally and he took 3rd nationally in overall individuals. He also worked with his HS to establish their first scholastic shooting team that went well,and later shot on the University skeet/trap team...I always enjoy seeing the younger generations becoming involved with the shooting sports.

20. Axxe55

MO, i haven't had the opportunity to look through the Nikon P-22 scope, but i have had a few Nikons and have been very pleased with their quality. i think that scope deserves to be checked out as possible choice if you get the chance.