Rimfire Scope Part 2

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by jcd390, May 22, 2014.

1. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Thanks guys for all the info on my previous thread Rimfire Scope, I really appreciate it. However, I have now limited my options down to a Mueller 4.5-14x44 AO Tactical MilDot for $150.00 or a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 $170.00. Which one do you guys think would be better quality? Thanks again.

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i have a cross fire 3x9x40.. its is alright. to me the cross hairs could be a little smaller. but it holds zero and is of decent quality.. i dont have knowledge of the mueller scope.

as i said in the other thread... for an extra $20 you can have a nikon prostsaff 4x12x40 and it blows the vortex out of the water.

3. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Thanks guys, i finally caved in and decided to spend the extra money and get the Nikon.

4. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Because of the limitations of 22lr accuracy, rimfire scopes usually have an adjustable parallax setting allowing it to be focused under 100y. I understand you're expecting to use it at 100y, but you might consider a scope that can that can focus at 25y or 50y as well.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  5. godale

godale New Member

folks on rimfire central hold the muellers in high reguards

6. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

Both of them are great rifles. Choose any one and you are good to go.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

LMAO. at least pretend to know what the topic is about :rolleyes:

8. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

A bit late

A friend has a Marlin 60 with a Nikon P22 scope. We hot it sighted to 50 yards. Just a rotation of the turret it is ready for 100 yards. I believe it also had marks for 125, 150, 175 and maybe 200.

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have heard a lot recently about HAWKEYE scopes for Rimfire, and how they are accurate out to 200 Yds.,...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Hawkeye scopes are what the field target folks use. They have a BIG marked wheel on the focusing ring and they use it to determine exactly how far a target is so they can hold under/over as needed.

11. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

I use a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 EFR with precision reticle on my Kimber 82G for 50 yard benchrest. I'm a happy camper.

12. Bogart999

Bogart999 New Member

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I am amazed at what people will do to make a .22lr do more then it ever was intended. It's a .22lr! You don't need even a cheap high powered scope! I have a BSA .22 Special 3-9x32mm on my Marlin 60, My middle son has a Bushnell 4x32 rimfire on his Winchester 190. You can shoot the balls off a squirrel at 75 Yards without batting an eye. I still go out w/ a Marlin 100 w/ open sights and can hit a 6" target at 125 yards. You new guys need to enroll in an NRA small bore competition. There are no scopes. Ranges can be out to 75 yards. The Bull is the size of the bullet. My youngest can take his M69 Romanian trainer and pop golf balls at 75 yards w/ open sights.

14. DrFootball

Well, some of the current 22LR ammo out can be effective and accurate beyond 100 Yds. So why not Take advantage of That? I shot NRA Small bore as a youngster. My wife and I are signed up to do some Rimfire Steel challenge shoots. Even with "Old Diabetic" eyesight, I can do open sights out to 50 yds., after that I need assistance from optics. My wife wants the Nikon P-22, which I also like, but the have one in the Prostaff line that is a "Rimfire BDC" out to 150....

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I like open sights on my 10/22 Take Down. Six inches at 125 yards sounds about right.

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I'm not sure what .22lr ammo can be effective past 100 yards. You may be able to hit a piece of paper, but for real world applications, no. There is nothing left in that bullet to do anything.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that's the beauty of a rimfire. that you can get away sometimes with the cheaper optics because they have next to no recoil to damage the scope.

currently, my Marlin Model 60 is wearing a 40 plus year old Redfield 3-9x40 that came off my father's rifle. it's old and a bit foggy for anything past about 50 yards, but works great on my Marlin. yes, it is a bit foggy, but the thing still holds zero quite well. i have another scope that is a bit clearer, but i kind of like the nostalgia of that scope on my rifle.

18. DrFootball

My 10/22 groups very nicely at 100yds. I'm sure if my Heavy Barrel 18.5" were a H.B. 22" instead, and had good glass, it could be accurate at 150 given the "Right Ammo" if I knew what the right ammo was for my Mossberg it would be an even Greater Feat...

19. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Jpatterson, that is what I enjoy most about shooting, pushing calibers to there limits and beyond. I don't shoot competition or hunt with some of my guns. I simply enjoy shooting them and challenging myself self to pushing the gun to a limit and seeing what it is capable of doing. Don't get me wrong I total agree that when it comes to my hunting rifles and shotguns they are well with the "typical" range. Any way here is the final product! ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1401726101.671026.jpg