rimfire pistol pickle...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Zacsquatch, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

I am wanting to be able to shoot a lot, and cheaply... That means I want a .22. I was thinkin a CZ o something that shot surplus, but decided against it since I cantget ammo shipped to me.

My budget is $350 abouts.. and I have narrowed it down to 2 options tha cost the axact same and bot localy obtainable and its making my head spin..

The first, is a Kimbr 22 conversion for my 1911. That would be great in the fact that it fits my hand great, and I cold feel like I'm getting real tigger time on my favorite handgun.

The second is to buy a Walthe P22... I love the how even that tiny gun can fit in my huge hands and feel comfy. I know it will be fun to shoot.. and I could probably semi carry it.

I need some outside prespectives on this, any takers?

2. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

I tried a Walther while I was shopping for my 22. It was a POS. Looked nice, felt nice, shot like crap. This guy agrees with me: Firearms, ammo, weapons, gear reviews, 2nd Amendment issues, etc...: My experience with the Walther P22

For $350, the Beretta U22 Neos is right in your price range. It's a very nice gun, I rented one once, shot very well. If you can't get it locally, try Gunsamerica.com. Plus, it looks even sexier than the Walther.

Also in the bracket is the Ruger Mk III, the option I'd highly recommend, owning a Mk III Competition, myself. The standard Mk III is all-steel, but you can also get the polymer 22/45 version, which has a 1911-style grip and a bull barrel. Looks goofy, but if you get the all-steel model, your grandkids will be plinking with the same gun after you're long gone.

3. utf59

utf59 New Member

I thought about a conversion for my primary SD gun, but went with a separate .22 (Ruger 22/45 in my case). I had the same thought you did — that I would be practicing with the same grip and trigger as my SD gun.

On the other hand, I thought about going to the range. I usually go with other people (wife, father-in-law, friends, coworkers) and we all shoot a variety of guns. So for me, it was better to have two guns than one gun that could be shot two ways.

This may not apply to you...just something to think about.

4. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

I hate the looks of the rugers... They just arent me.

5. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Well, I went with the SIG Mosquito after having the P22 for a few months. The P22 just felt like a toy to me. The Neos, while a nice accurate gun, is plain ugly to me so I didn't consider it. DO NOT believe all you read about the Mosquito on the forums. Mine has been great and will shoot anything I feed it. The gun is about 95% of the size of a regular center fire SIG. The Rugers are a PITA to strip and clean. I had one and sold it for a Single-Six revolver instead. Ah, the .22 Kimber conversion unit; these are great and I had one for my SA GI .45. 3 things bugged me about it though. First, the slide does not stay open after the last shot. Second, the lack of felt recoil makes it feel like you are shooting an airsoft gun. Lastly, I disliked taking my .45 auto out of action while the kit is on. I sold it after a few months.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

i have the kimber conversion for my springfield armory 1911-A1 and it works great. the only problem is that some 1911 you have to change the hammer out as some hammers hit that stupid adjustable novak cut sight. the only problem with kimber slides is they all use that damn novak cut and adjustables almost always get in the way of hammer operation.

one last thing take your frame with you to get the conversion some frames dont work with the kimber slides. kimber support was less than helpful when i quized em about my frame they had no clue and said it would work i ended spending nearly another 100$ to get it to work right. kimber support is da poop.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The top three 22lr pistols in my book are

Ruger MkII

Browning Buckmark Error

Beretta Neos.

I have the Neos and a MkII govt target model. Both shoot good with the edge going to the ruger.

If you shop right you can get buckmarks for $350.

I have shot the walther and I agree POS big time. I haven't shot the sig so I can not comment on it other than if is has quality like that of its bigger brothers then your going to be getting a good pistol.

I like the Neos because you can buy the 6.5" barreled version for around $200 Then you can add the 4.5" barrel and a 7.5" barrel. They are a little space age looking but they are accurate and they will keep on shooting. I put 2000 rounds through mine before cleaning it and it never missed a beat. Break down is simple compared to the dam Ruger which is a PITA big time to get apart and back together. For the Neos you unscrew the bid nut below the barrel on the frame and the barrel and rail slid up and off the gun. Then you HOLD the slide and pull the trigger and slowly move the slide forwards and it comes right off and the firing pin drops right out. Once you do it a few times it will take you longer to read this that to tear down a Neos. Also a Neos 4.5" looks effing sweet with a can (Suppresor) on the end of it and it is not all that long then.

I have thought about buying the kit as well but I too don't like having my main side arm down and out in case of a fight (You never know).

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I also don't like the looks of the ruger rimfires.I like my .22 pistols and revolvers to look and feel the same as the larger calibers.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Probably the niftiest .22s out there are the Sig classic series. Bud's has them for around $480 in the 220/226/229 frame. They come with a coupon to buy the appropriate centerfire top end for $399. When I bought my P220 SAO in .22 it was on sale at Bud's for $399 delivered...

10. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

I've got the 22/45. It does kinda feel like a 1911,but is a pain to reassemble, and you don't like it anyway.
    I've also got a buckmark. I really like the gun, but the trigger on mine is very light, so it really doesn't simulate my carry gun (1911).
    Both these guns have been nothing but accurate, and reliable for me. The Ruger is built to simulate a 1911.
    I plan for my next 22 to be either a sig mosquito, or more likely a classic 22.
    Sig stuff is excellent. I have several centerfires and love them.
    Just curious, Why can't you get ammo shipped?

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I like the Browning Buckmark,and have both the pistol & rifle. The Ruger mkii-iii are also great pistols,I just hate the angle of the grip and don't have one because of that.
    There is a big aftermarket for both the Browning & Ruger so you can change them up however you want.

12. tom777

tom777 New Member

Like you I opted for the Mosquito over the P22 as it has a little more size to it. It's my first and only .22 handgun so I don't have anything to compare it to, but so far I'm happy with it.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Looks bedamned! I have a Ruger Mk I that was purchased at the Ft. Wainwright PX in 1970, and still going strong. A few months back I bought a Ruger Mk III. Eats whatever I put in the mag, shoots like a carbine, $250 NIB from my dealer. There are also a lot of folks that think highly of the Browning Buckmark. You might also shop around in the on line auctions if you have a FFL you can get to for the transfer- there are High Standards, Colt Woodsmen, etc that come up now and again.

14. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

I went to Sportsmans today and held the Sig Mosquito... I am in Love.... and guess what.. they even have one in Pink... I cant wait to see how every reacts to a 6'4 feller shooting a pink pistol. Its fits in my had perfectly and is only $360. I think I have my verdict. I saw the Buckmark and neary vomited, haha... looks like an uglier ruger.

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Ok, there is something wrong with you....Buckmarks and rugers are beautiful, accurate, reliable, and will shoot circles around your insect pistol. :D

You're going to have to feed the mosquito good .22 ammo or you will have problems.

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My sons Mosquito and the wifes P22 are both good reliable guns. Yes, early versions were iffy. I have no idea why folks think Ruger 22s are difficult to break down and reassemble - just follow the instructions and it's quick & easy. As far as a pink Mosquito - I'd have to pass on that one...

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Pink skeeter.

No wonder you don't like the looks of a Ruger or Browning. They don't look like some sissy girrle fairy dust pistol.........................

[​IMG]

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a pink mosquito too. :) welcome to the club!! people seem to think its my wife's gn but ihave to explain to them she is the one shooting the .50AE down the range and the pink one is mine. the pink ones are pretty sweet looking since its not that soft rose pink that the S&W guns tend to have its more a hot pink.

19. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

haha, its funny... I had a pick jeep in college and nobody every gave me any crap.. of course half the time I was going to rugby practice anyways...

20. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

The P-22 was an enormous disappointment for me. Picky on ammo, b***h to strip, bigger b***h to reassemble, horrible accuracy.

I was incredibly amped about this gun, and sold it after 2 months, just couldn't take the disappointment any longer.