Right Hander Shooting Left Handed

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by McCord, Nov 20, 2008.

1. McCord

McCord New Member

For 68 years now, I have shot right handed, and have always shot extremely accurately.
    Now, after a nerve injury behind my right eye, after a freak'n fall from a ladder, if I shoot again, I am going to be forced to shoot left handed.
    I am not concerned with the bolt actions, but I would like to ask someone who knows if I am suceptible to more injury to my right eye shooting my Semi-automatic weapons, like my .30 Cal Carbine, my AR-15, and Benelli and other semi-automatic shotguns, from their blow-back, with my head on the right side of the stock?
    I have to wear prescription glasses so wearing 'shooting glasses' I believe is out of the question.
    If someone who knows could answer this, I sure would appreciate it.
    Best regards,
    McCord, Kerrville, Texas
    mccord11@windstream.net

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Wear glasses, you'll be okay.

Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope everything works out okay for you there.

3. ScottG

ScottG Active Member

I'm left handed and shoot left handed and I've never had any problems with either my Garand or M1 Carbine throwing brass in my face.

4. vegasjeepguy

vegasjeepguy New Member

x2...been shooting everything from m16s to my m1a left handed for 25 years and never had a problem. The only issue was occasionally getting hot 5.56 brass down my shirt. No longer and problem with my lefty stags.

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I'm left eye dominant and have always shot rifles & shotguns left handed and have never had any problems with gas blowback or brass hitting me in the face.

6. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

Leftie here, (not politically you fools!), only thing that EVER bothered me was the M16A1, pre-cast in brass deflector. It would chuck hot brass up my right sleeve. After they added the little defector, no issues. I still shoot my AR from both hands.

7. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

The A1 version of them M16 added the forward assist and brass deflector, you leftie.

All the Way!

8. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

You should be using quality eyepro whenever you're handling weapons. Even to clean, solvent and stray springs can cost you an eye.

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Can't help regarding the gun but I may be able to help regarding the glasses. You can get almost any type of safety glasses to fit your prescription made at Lenscrafters. I don't know about shell casings but I have had my safety glasses stop nails from a nail gun at near point blank range. :eek: Good luck and keep shooting. :)

10. McCord

McCord New Member

Hey,I appreciate it.

Hey Guys, I appreciate the advise and good words, Mucho.
    McCord