Right Grain?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by coyote_killer3, Mar 28, 2012.

1. coyote_killer3

coyote_killer3 New Member

How do I decide which grain of bullet I should use for my 22 250? I have been using 50 grain but I was just wondering what the difference would be and if it's noticeable.

Thanks,
    Riley

2. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

What do u plan on hunting?

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

3. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Here is the difference from my gun going from 45gr to 55gr

That's the 45s
    ForumRunner_20120328_161647.jpg

That's the 55s

ForumRunner_20120328_161736.jpg
    p.s. when I shot the 45s my gun was sighted in for them

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The "right grain" is the one that shoots best in YOUR gun.

5. coyote_killer3

I plan on hunting varmints.

Thanks,
    Riley

6. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol okay like coyote size if so try 55s see how they group in your gun if they don't do good then try some others till u find the right grain that groups best for u.

How well did the 50s do?

7. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Try many and all, it might like a different 55 grain bullet. Might only like 45s, just shop around and clean it religiously. Mine only likes 45 grainers but puts them in .236 5 shot.

don't live vicariously

8. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

The rule of grain that I follow comes from an FBI report concerning self defense. Load your firearm with the heaviest bullet grain that you can shoot with the greatest accuracy.

9. Sickofnotliving

Sickofnotliving New Member

Not quite sure about this. Followup shots are essential.

10. Sickofnotliving

Sickofnotliving New Member

Quick Accurate follow up shots...

11. coyote_killer3

My 50s are 3 shot groups I can cover with a quarter, but every once in a while I'll get some stragglers which Im sure is my fault, not the guns.

Thanks,
    Riley

12. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

This is science, meaning if you do certain things under certain conditions you will get certain results. A big part of the fun of loading your own ammo is trying different combinations of components. You can try different powders and measurements of it. You can try different bullet types and weights. You can try different bullet seating depths. For rifles I usually try different powder load changes in one-half grain increments.

I know all of this sounds rather general, but as you load more ammo you will become more familiar with the process. I might add that I recommend always following the powder charge guidelines listed for the bullet you are using.

Good luck with your reloading. I think you will enjoy doing it.

13. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol then y do u want to change grains a good 50gr bullet will drop a dog on the spot

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe most 22-250 rifles have a 1:12 or 1:14 twist rate and prefer the lighter bullets. I would start at 45 grn and see what it does. 55 grains is pretty much the top end for a 1:12 and my .223 rifle does not like them too much. I went to 45 grain and am not changing. The 1:14 twist would prefer 45 grains or less but every rifle is an individual and you never know what they are going to do until you shoot them. Yours just may like the 50 grain bullets.

15. coyote_killer3

I wasn't actually want to change, I was just wondering what the difference would be. I got started on 50 grain just because that was the only box the store had. Lol so I was just wondering and trying to learn a lil bit. And this really has helped.

Thanks,
    Riley

16. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol well going from 50 to 55 might not be that noticeable idk cuz I went from 45 to 55 and u seen how that went

17. coyote_killer3

True. I think my gun shoots great with the 50 grain. So I'll stick with that to be safe. And I have another off the wall question, does anyone know the effective range of a SKS? I own two and I have yet to really notice what long shots I can take accurately.

Thanks,
    Riley

18. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Don't know much about the sks but the round should be good out to 125 150 area but then again I think of the 7.62x39 as a plinking round more then anything lol

19. coyote_killer3

That's what I use it for, I have killed a few hogs with it at short ranges. My lil cousin uses it for deer and had a pretty nice 9 point with it last year at about 75 yards and I have been wondering ever since.

Thanks,
    Riley

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Its bout a 30-30 equivalent. Good out to bout 150-175 yards

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did