Rifled Slugs

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by joehlson, Nov 12, 2012.

1. joehlson

joehlson New Member

To the smoothbore experts:

I have searched and haven't found anything that exactly answers my question. First off, I have to use a shotgun for hunting on base, and a rifled barrel isn't in the budget at the moment, and after researching if I am limited to buckshot, then that's fine:

I would like the ability to use rifled slugs through my Weatherby SA-08. I have read that the IC choke would work fine, but I wouldn't want to go any tighter than that. My questions is, do I need to be concerning with the direction of the rifling on the slug that would potentially cause the choke tube to significantly loosen or unthread completely, or am I stressing over nothing? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

2. akers06

akers06 New Member

As far as the improved cylinder thing that is a myth...I use a modified choke for slugs and my dad has a gun with a 28" full choke barrel that cuts holes at 50 yards so try different chokes and see which shoots the best....and the question about a slug unscrewing your choke I have never thought about that before but I have never had that happen so I would say don't worry about it

3. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Ive fired slugs from my full choke 410. Extremely accurate, no problems.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Um- rifled slugs do not spin in flight. The grooves are to make sure that it will pass thru any standard choke. Not to make it spin.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNIL0bChyPk[/ame]

The slugs are actually stablized by the weight being at the front- sort of like putting a baseball in a sock and throwing it- will travel ball first, sock streaming behind.

Will not unscrew your choke tube.

5. magnumman

magnumman New Member

What is the point in rifled barrels then? I would assume that causes spin

6. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Thanks c3shooter

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

Good info after hunting with a slug gun all my life I still learn new stuff all the time

8. akers06

akers06 New Member

Because sabot slugs do spin unlike the rifled slugs

9. magnumman

magnumman New Member

10. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Shoot slugs from a mod. choke, and you'll be fine.

11. joehlson

joehlson New Member

Thanks a lot guys. Glad to hear I was over thinking it. Sounds like I have some more work to do with trying different loads through the different tubes.

12. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

What a tight choke does do is deform larger shot such as buckshot and slugs, even large birdshot. Years ago Outdoor Life did tests to see how various chokes affected the loads shot through them. A full choke damaged more pellets than any other choke. I am not saying you can't hit any thing. I am saying that shot deformation increases the chance of an errant shot.

I killed my first deer with a 16ga single shot with a full choke. I shot him once with buckshot. That slowed him down enough to get the slug in my hand loaded to finish him off.

When I bought my Maverick 88 a friend brought his Belgium made Browning along for the try out. The Maverick 88 spanked the Browning with a full choke barrel. He went back home and got a skeet barrel. We went nip and tuck with the skeet barrel. The Maverick 88 has a cylinder choke.

What is more important than the choke is finding loads that hold a tight pattern or a slug that shoots well. There are claims that Remington Sluggers are over sized. I can't find any documentation but most deer hunters in this area believe so. My 12 ga Mossberg 500 delivers the best patterns with #1 buckshot. My humpback Remington delivers the best patterns with #4 buckshot, it has a full choke.

The way that I determine the best pattern is to average the distance between holes in my target. I do not count the number of pellets to strike the target.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

And how do sabot slugs spin, exactly?

Sabot slugs require a RIFLED barrel. period.

"Rifled" slugs have raised ribs that happen to resemble riflingto give them a "squash" factor to be safe in a variety of chokes. The ribs are diagonal in orientation to help prevent gas blow by in the barrel.

They are stabilized by their "weight forward" design. They naturally fly with the heavier part forward. The rifling has absolutely nothing to do with outside the barrel performance.

14. akers06

akers06 New Member

He asked what the use of rifled barrels were and when shooting a sabot slug out of a rifled barrel they SPIN just like a muzzleloader bullet does...I never said a rifled slug spins in that comment