Rifled Barrel.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ironsights88, Mar 9, 2013.

1. ironsights88

ironsights88 New Member

I have been shooting my Remington 870 express magnum mostly using rifled slugs. It is a smooth barrel with rifled sights. Will it hurt my barrel to fire with 00buckshot? I fired with the 00buckshot and every thing went well but if there is a possibility for long term damage then I want to know.

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Smooth bore has 0 issue with buckshot. Avoid steel shot.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

That is the correct answer BUT i bet we get 3 pages on this :p

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I agree on the buckshot, but curious about the steel statement. All my shotgun owner's manuals say avoid steel in full and extra full chokes, no problems in modified, improved cylinder, etc. Waterfowlers and bird hunters on lots of public land are required to use steel in their shotguns.

5. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Lets shoot for 17 pages , I'm back......! :D I missed that Warm feeling of 00 ,
    shoot on and on-ward ! :)

6. ironsights88

ironsights88 New Member

Thanks for your help!

I was mainly asking because I am a new shotgun owner and the gun store employees were trying to tell me that since it has sights on the barrel it's a fully rifled barrel and I only want to fire rifled slugs. He told me no sabot slugs and no bird shot or buck shot.

I found this hard to believe so I figured I would get more help here.

Also I am new to this group, with that said my name is Jay and I live here in Texas. This is my second time being stationed here at FT Hood and I am glad to be back!

I look forward to some good discussions, and learning all I can.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  7. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome Jay..! :)

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

In the OP you referred to a smooth bore. Is the barrel rifled or is it a smooth bore? If it is a smooth bore, shoot any type of ammo you want. If rifled, then I would stick to saboted slugs. Rifled shotgun barrels and saboted slugs are a great pairing.

At least I interpreted smooth barrel as smooth bore, but maybe I read it wrong.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  9. ironsights88

ironsights88 New Member

Is there such a thing as smooth bore barrel with rile sights?

On the web page it describes it as a fully rifled barrel. So does that mean I shoot rifled slugs or sabot slugs, and if it is a rifled barrel can I fire 00buck as well or no?

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I had an 870 turkey gun with rifle sights, it was smooth bore, they do exist.

Buy an extra barrel for your buck & bird shot, save the rifled barrel for sabots.

11. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

If you take the barrel off and look down through it is their Deep lines spiraling through it If that's what you see it is a rifle barrel and Do not fire shot through it . If there's no lines and you see nothing but a smooth surface like a piece of PVC pipe thin shoot whatever you want through it

12. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

Here's a picture of a rifle rifle barrel and a smoothbore shotgun

Attached Files:

13. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

The one on the left is a smoothbore the one on the right is a rifled barrel

14. ironsights88

ironsights88 New Member

Ok great, mine looks the same as the one on the left. The reason I was confused is everyone tells me that since it has iron sights on it then it must be a rifled barrel.

But what you are telling me is that it's a smooth bore barrel with rifle sights and I can shoot anything out of it correct?

15. ironsights88

ironsights88 New Member

Ok mine is exact to the one on the left. I suppose i have a smooth bore barrel with rifling sights then.

I did not know that was even such a thing since everyone in the stores answered my question by telling me that since it has sights on it then it must be a rifled barrel. Those people had me all confused. I am understanding much better now thanx all!

16. ironsights88

ironsights88 New Member

Thank you for the pictures, and explanation!

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a Mossberg barrel that was a smooth bore with rifle sights. You will waste your money shooting sabots in it. Shot, buckshot and rifled slugs are fine. At 7 yards it will pattern approximately 6" with buckshot.

18. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

You're welcome From what I understand the iron sites on the smoothbore barrel was originally designed for turkey hunting

19. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Do not shoot buck shot out of a shotgun with rifling though. You will screw up the rifling.

20. ironsights88

ironsights88 New Member

When you say rifling, what exactly do u mean?