Rifle slings, let's see 'em

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by 70cuda383, Jan 28, 2013.

1. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

I just got a bug up my butt, I want to make a rifle sling out of 550 cord. I've seen some pictures of a few, thought I would ask for pictures of ALL your rifle slings and designs, so I can think about how I want to build it...what design features I want to incorporate, etc.

thanks!

(anyone have the link to the guy who makes and sells these things? I'd like to look at some of his pictures for ideas too.)

2. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I made this for a guy over on the 1911 forums. I've been making the cord stuff for a while. I can tell you this, it's a PITA. That's a 36 inch stretch of cord, and if memory serves it was 80 feet of cord total.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

Been weaving these for about a year.. Your right, pita! But finished product is worth it. I'll post some pics soon. I made 5 slings in a sollum weave and they turned out very nice. 36 in. Sling and used about 60-70 ft of cord. Time consuming but a nice flat braid and experimenting with some silicon sprays for alittle grip on them. If you put the time into making one make sure you use a very nice quality swivel... Each sling took me anywhere from 6-8 hours to finish

4. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Where do you buy your hardware? I see TONS of sites that have plastic buckles for making belts, bracelets, etc. but I don't see a lot of hooks, clips, rings, etc.

5. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Also, do you know any sources that will sell custom length 550 cord? seems everyone wants to sell either 25' 50' 100' or a 1000' roll. I want 250!! haha.

6. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

Yes, sportsman guide sells them up to 300 ft rolls. Quality cord too for about 15-25 dollars. I buy my clips and swivels from cabelas cause they have steel and stainless ones. If you put 10 hours into a braid it would be a shame to use some cheep crap. Im going to try to post pics later today.

7. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Thanks! Got a lnk for sportsman's guide? or will I easily find it when I do my google search in about 30 seconds?:D

8. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

Just type paracord and you should find it no prob. And I failed to mention a lot of clips and clasps I buy right at the hardware store. Small d rings, anchor shackles, and bow shackles for bracelets and lanyards.

9. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

image-2432504243.jpg

image-3929603277.jpg

image-3806695704.jpg

image-3593993409.jpg

image-3947658087.jpg

image-3630814092.jpg

image-2925493481.jpg

Here are some of the things I made, slings, fishing/ fire starter bracelets, key fobs and several kinds of wraps. Anyone interested?

Attached Files:

10. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Thanks for the pics, those do look nice!

on your wider straps, instead of doing the solomon/cobra knots, isthat just a simple weave, or some type of braid? it looks like it's a simple as having 4 "runners" and weaving "over under over under around the end, over under over under"

11. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

You have a good eye.. I made them this way cause you can make cord available by unweaving up to bout 50 ft while still leaving your 4 runners for a basic sling. ( if you had to) . Very tedious over and under though but liked the idea of a flat sling and the look. In the beginning it's a butt load of string to pull, but you can rubber band it up for lengths at a time or use 10 ft pieces and fuse the ends together ( as I did for the first few slings I made )

12. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

cool. a simple weave like that, I can do. some sort of complicated french edwardian reverse braid....I'm out! haha.

I may do one like this for the bolt action I just picked up, but plan on something a little more complicated, with a solomon/cobra knot/weave for my AR.

13. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

Not sure if you looked into YouTube but that's how I got started. Many instructional vids

14. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Not anymore!

I placed an order, and 6 hours later I got an email "we're sorry, our system showed it was in stock, but when we went to pull the order to ship, we found it was NOT in stock, and this item cannot be re-ordered, so we're refunding your money. we're sorry for your inconvenience"

oh well, guess I'll just order some 100' pieces, and hope I don't run into the position where I'm 6" away from finishing a sling and running out of cord!

15. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

Oh that sucks. I know you can buy on amazon or somewhere else online but can't be sure of the quality

16. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

here's the sling!

the cord is a bit...shiney. not quite what I expected when I ordered "desert camo" but...I guess that's what happens when all you have to go is a close up picture of the cord on the internet.

aside from the gloss...I like it. I learned a bit that I would do differently if I do this again. only took me about 3 hours start to finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

Nice!! I love the clips and little hoops

18. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

Ive beem trying to find out how to make that sling in the first pic??

19. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

Thanks. total length is about 6'. it works on the idea of a modified single point sling. the weight of the rifle is carried by the rear D ring that I lashed to the buffer tube, but by having it also anchored up front, and adding those loops, the sling has some adjustability to it.

now I just gotta go rub some dirt on it to take away that awful "glow in the dark" shine on the cord! haha.