Rifle Selection HK or FN

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by laynejc, Dec 3, 2008.

1. laynejc

laynejc New Member

I am looking to buy a semi auto .308, I am looking at an HK 91 style or a FN-FAL. I would like some input on the two rifles. I know they will each have their pros and cons, just tell me what you think of each. Thanks

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Any particular reason you are limiting yourself to those two, specific rifles?

Just curious...

JD

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I don't have any experience with the H&K. However, I did have a DSA FAL SA58 carbine and I currently have a Springfield M1A Scout. I sold the FAL so I could afford the M1A. The FAL has an adjustable gas tube, but even so it packed a wallop.

I can shoot the M1A all day and not feel it.

Just food for thought.

4. laynejc

laynejc New Member

no not really, mainly because I know they have been around for a while and are tried and true. Dont really care for the new FNAR, I like it but like the book says, its a browning. The AR-10, is considered, but I know a little about them, what else is out there?

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

In a .308, semi automatic, gas powered platform?

M1A
    About a dozen AR-10 Platforms - and any configuration you would want to build yourself.
    M14
    Remington R-25 ( Which is an AR "variant" )
    H&K G3
    Galil
    H&K 417 - Of which you would be a GOD if you could pull that off since they aren't for sale in the US at last I checked...

That's just off the top of my head...

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

See if you can try as many as possible. Check with friends, shooting or hunting buddies, guys at your local gunshop etc.

There's lots of rifles and lots of different philosophies that go with them. Enjoy the research. But don't wait too long. ;)

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

To answer your original question, the HK91 is an almost indestructible battle rifle. It is completely reliable, very durable, reasonably accurate. But the accuracy is limited (in my opinion and experience) by the marginal triggers and sights. But it will fire pretty much any .308/7.62X51 round that you can chamber in it which is a big plus. But original HK's are spendy, and the quality of the copies is questionable. And the ergonomics of the HK91 are crap.

The FN FAL is also an excellent rifle. Reliable, durable and pretty accurate. I do not like the sights, safeties or the triggers, though. But still, The strong right arm of the free world.

Neither one would be my choice for an "only" rifle, but either one will serve you well. But don't limit your choice to these two. And make sure you check out a good M14 variant. They rock in EVERY category.

8. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

I've been looking at the cetme and HK's for a while. I'm planning to get one eventually. They are battle-tested and seem to hold up well. I wouldn't get one to snipe with, but they seem to do well enough at long range. The m1a would be better if you plan to scope it. I own none of the above, but have handled them all in shops and have read enough to feel confident in my comments...

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The M14 sights are the best sights ever put on a battle rifle. No scope needed. It was designed to be a rifleman's rifle.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have an HK-91 and a CETME. No gas system to adjust or get fouled. Rugged, reliable and accurate. Factory triggers generally need a little work and commercial .308 can be problematic as extraction is very violent. Case separation can happen. Magazines are cheap and plentiful

Cannot argue with FN's sex appeal. Right arm of the free world. Metric vs. Inch pattern and the magazine issues is the biggest detraction (IMHO).

M-14/M-1A is a great platform too. Old school styling in wood trim. Good magazines are a little pricey.

AR-10 is worthy of consideration as well. Different mags for different manufacturers rifles. Many are modified FN or M-14 mags and as such a little pricey.

11. Scud

Scud New Member

It is kind of like comparing a Benz to a BMW. I have had several of each platform, and what I have in my safe right now are DSA FN Fal's, (along with an Imbel). I like the FN, but it boils down to what you like.

12. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Both are exelent rifles...

Here in Venezuela the FN-FAL was the reglamentary rifle of the army, navy, air force and national guard since early 50's (they replace the SAFN-49) until the last year, now we've the AK-103.
    The FAL is undestructible, in here the maintenance is not the favorite activity of the trops, so I can tell you the FAL will take everything...
    The spanish magazines (ARMAS) it's the most difused publication in here. So we read a lot about the CETME, as I can remeber ...I know the CETME as a sturdy, easy to clean and mantain rifle, so I think, both are good chices.

13. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

H&Ks can eat brass, but their drum style sights are the best open sights available anywhere.

M14/M1As are king in every aspect but sights. Several companies sell H&K style front sights these days though.

Here is my rifle of choice: http://www.smithenterprise.com/products02.html
    Be sure to read all 3 pages.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Jesus Matt *whistling*, when they won't even tell you the price after three pages of writing I am BETTING Dollars to Doughnuts that you can BUILD one for a 1/3rd of what they are going to charge you for that "thing".:rolleyes:

I am sure it's a solid piece of kit, but for what is going to amount as a healthy down payment on tuition for one of the Little Ones, it damn well BETTER BE.... LOL

JD

15. matt g

I'm surprised that the guy with 3 Nighthawk Customs would make a statement like this. You and I both know that money talks and all else walks.

I was quoted about $2800 before optics for a Milspec, 18" barreled Crazy Horse with a Cali compensator, gas lock front sight and 1913 Tri-rail.

Their quality of components is second to none. The double lugged LRB receiver blows all other receivers out of the water. The gas system has been worked over to perfection and SEI holds a patent on it. The deep thermal cycling means that it will hold up to rapid fire type abuse for years to come. Every component is also hand fit.

The price really isn't too much more than what you pay for a lesser M1A/M14 when you consider the much greater amount of care and quality of materials that have gone into them.

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

There is no question that money does talk, but there is a point where you are reinventing the wheel, for the sake of doing it.

I'm just saying, for that kind of money, we are talking a lot of platforms out there that will do the same thing.

If you have your heart set on it, then I say go for it, you only go around once in life and you should be happy with your choices.

But, after 3 pages of write up, for them not to even QUOTE a price without sending them an e-mail? :confused: If they are THAT proud of it, they would let you know up front what it costs, now they have nothing in print and can change the price at any time they feel like it.

I would double check that price since the recent inflation value of all "military" rifles with the ban pending.

I hope you get exactly what you want and it performs as advertised, or better, for you.

JD

EDIT: And as an after thought - I owned ZERO Nighthawks until I met the people from Nighthawk at SHOT, talked to them, understood where they came from and what they were trying to accomplish with their company. In addition, I played with 6 pistols that day at the booth, and the two I thought for SURE I wanted to buy, weren't any of the three I ended up with....

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  17. matt g

There are zero California legal semi auto, magazine fed rifles chambered in 7.62x51 available that I can still legally use high capacity magazines for. Even those that come remotely close won't make accurate shots out to and past 800 meters.

I'm headed back to work here shortly. I'm gonna' save up my pennies for a Nighthawk Enforcer after getting the SEI M14. Surprisingly, my wife had no objection to the idea of buying another pistol. Maybe she just didn't know what they sell for.

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

1) That is a hell of a nice piece, I have checked it out myself. :rolleyes:

If you are going to buy one, contact my friend george@migunslingers.com

Best prices on the market for the Nighthawk. Trust me on this. George is a great guy and will treat you right.

JD

19. matt g

Can he/will he get Cali spec'ed pieces?

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

George can get anything Nighthawk has, and a few other makers as well - and he is a dealer, but he sells for very little over his price because he moves units to keep his Class III active. It pays for his own personal "habits" :)

When I got my woman her thin lined Talon, I had him order it from the factory directly as spec'd out and it took about 4 weeks....

JD