Rifle scope mounting

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Roper, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Roper

Roper New Member

I have backed in to the job of mounting scopes on rifles. I haven't charged anything yet, ( friends, cops, my own). So what would be a fair charge to do this? Ring mounting, ring lapping, level scope to rifle and bore sighting.

Thanks

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

unless i'm mistaken, that would be considered gunsmithing and to charge money for doing such services you have to have an FFL to charge for gunsmithing.

hopefully someone more up on the current laws can advise. but you might check out the BATF website for some answers.

3. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

U can do work to anyone's gun but u don't need to charge if the ATF finds out they will fine u its a federal offence im in the process of getting my ffl now it might be different were u live but in Tennessee its illegal

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

There are no laws I'm aware of that prevent anyone from working on guns. There is no "licensing" to be a gunsmith. Its why its hard to find a good one since any yahoo with a screwdriver can call themselves a gunsmith.

You do not need a ffl to work on guns while the customer waits. If it is left in your possession and the customer leaves you need an ffl.

Every state I know of says that if your engaged in working for pay you either need to be an employee of a business have a business license or work for less than a certain amount per year which varies state to state.

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

So many ways to read this and take it in. I suggest contacting the BATFE and ask . I know what the rules state, I have the massive book and have read through all that boring crap . The way a lot of people read it is if it has a receiver its a no no. No receiver your good to go because its not considered a firearm . NOT TRUE !!!! You would be engaging in business for $$$ and that goes against the rule. My suggestion play by the rules its not worth the time behind bars and all the attorney fees you will spend

6. Roper

Roper New Member

yup!

I looked at the BATF site and believe I need to get an FFL.
    Thank all of you for the replies .