Rifle ranges not allowing FMJ's or shotguns?!? :-(

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Joeyg69, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Joeyg69

Joeyg69 New Member

As far as snooty/stuck up ranges go, bass pro shop takes the cake in south Florida. I'm used to going elsewhere and will continue! No FMJ's and no shotguns of any type are allowed, that basically killed my entire day after driving there SKS and Mossberg in hand, with about 200rds of wolf FMJ. I wish I had done the research ahead of time and not wasted the trip. So I caved and bought some of their over priced Tula soft points (that my SKS hates) and shot a few rounds in what had to be the hottest, least ventilated range I've ever been to. They did give me a military discount however. I still can't fathom why they would not allow FMJ's..... Crappy backstop? Afraid of an accidental discharge sailing through the store? In any case it was utterly annoying. The only redeeming quality is that they are open on Sundays.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

No FMJ? :confused:
    That might be to force purchases.

No offense and none taken

3. Joeyg69

Joeyg69 New Member

Probably true.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  4. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

hell at least they'll let you bring a rifle, both the indoor ranges here in town are rimfire & pistol caliber only

5. Joeyg69

Joeyg69 New Member

Ouch, I won't be moving to your neck of the woods anytime soon.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Easy there little fella!

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

We Bypass that by going out into the desert, where we have a nice little Space set up with 12-15ft. High mounds aside a 35 yd clearing,..more then enough for short range, and the next hill after ours is about 550 Yds. away..,

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

With an indoor range, much of what you can shoot there will depend on the engineering of the backstop.

Two local indoor ranges- one has a backstop that is a slanted sheet of steel that makes bullets ricochet into a tank of sand. Handgun and .22 rimfire rifles only. FMJ will put scallops in the backstop that will cause following bullets to go in unplanned directions.

The other range uses a "snail" bullet trap. Bullets are guided into a large diameter steel tube the runs the width of the range. Bullets hit the inside wall of the pipe at a shallow angle, and spin around until they run out of energy. THAT range permits up thru .300 Win Mag.

The range where I shoot? The backstop is about 200 cubic yards of dirt. Works for anything up to about 105mm cannon. :p

9. Donn

Donn Active Member

You said SKS. Did you have steel core? The indoor range I use prohibits steel core ammo. Never heard if any place forbidding FMJ.

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Yeah, this ^^^.
    Our local range takes a magnet to all ammo brought in. All 7.62x39 gets a good long look. Steel core 7.62x39 ammo did $50K damage to the range backstop a few years back.
    They don't allow shotguns either. Multiple pellets possibly bouncing all over the place? What could go wrong?

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

There are many indoor and outdoor gun ranges that do not allow rifles to fire FMJ or Steel core ammo. They tear their facilities up,and also will ricochet off other objects easier than lead/copper bullets.
    Sounds like you need to call the ranges you are wanting to go to,before you make the trip there.

12. Joeyg69

Joeyg69 New Member

No steel core, they are illegal in Florida. I use standard Bi-metal FMJ's.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

By prohibiting FMJ, they eliminate the possibility of steel core or Armor Piercing (they are different). Shotgun? Plenty of knuckleheads have no concept of aiming and scatter pellets every which way leading to broken overhead lights and the possibility of injury.

Liability is the largest concern with backstop damage being second. The fact is, there are millions of idiots with guns who will damage the range and just walk away. They need to protect their interests

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  14. indy36

indy36 New Member

Around here it's more likely that a small indoor range would prohibit steel case ammo. They tend to recycle the brass and are too lazy to sort the steel from the brass. The same tends to apply to larger rounds, say Russian steel case 7.62 ammo. It's often a no-go when they collect the brass. Now prohibiting steel core, sounds like a no brainer. Certain back stops won't stop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

15. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

That's the price you pay for living close to others! I can shoot off my back deck all day and nobody complains and when the folks further back than me open up I say God Bless America!
    Indoor range? Really? Sounds so restrictive, no FMJ? That's what practice ammo is affordable easy to come by. A few weeks back the family had a shoot here in my backyard and a couple thousand rounds were fired without incident.
    '

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I am by no means an expert, but I can find NO reference to steel core ammo being illegal in Florida. Armor piercing ammo, yes. The Florida statute seems to be very much like the Texas statute (And Federal law); Armor piercing HANDGUN ammo is illegal. Rifle ammo is not addressed

17. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

/\ this. All indoor ranges I have been to in fl prohibit steel core/frangible rounds. No exceptions. They will check, and the will ***** at you for it. Nothing says steel core rounds are illegal in the state, only rounds that are considered pistol calibers that are "armor piercing" are illegal.

18. ccase39

ccase39 Member

We have a range that won't allow FMJs. They say its because they have a low burm and don't want bullets bouncing off the ground and going over. They don't sell guns or ammo just charge a fee. Its a really crappy range anyway so I don't go.

19. Joeyg69

Joeyg69 New Member

(a) "Armor-piercing bullet" means any bullet which has a steel inner core or core of equivalent hardness and a truncated cone and which is designed for use in a handgun as an armor-piercing or metal-piercing bullet.

So you may be correct my friend, but it would still be drawing a fine line! In any case the law seems to be remarkably vague. Is that just a run on sentence? Because if it looked like this-

"Armor piercing bullet" means any bullet which has a steel inner core, or core of equivalent hardness-- exetera.
    ^^then I would be worried^^ because if I can interpret it loosely, so can a state prosecutor, in the wrong way.

20. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Too many folks swear their ammo isn't steel core and they are incorrect (ignorant) or they lie.
    And some such rubes come to the range and set up on the same lane, same target height and distance.........and over a short time pound the sheite out of the backstop, maybe enough to damage the steel backing plates behind the rubber sheets.

So to not get into an argument with every super sniper back from the littlerbox, they pass a "no fmj" rule to help reduce negative customer interaction.

The "no shotguns" is the same............but most do allow them, slugs only. Bird or buck shot hits the target holder and skips pellets up into the lights.

FWIW there's enough lightbulb replacement from idiots using bullets and shooting like crap.

As usual, a few less than honest or smart people have ruined it for the rest of us. Well, most of us. My LGS has a range, and I used to work there, so can shoot whatever I want :)

I don't tear stuff up, and prefer outside shooting anyway.......so it's no big deal. But if I want to pattern a turkey gun or test a repair, I'm good to go at the local indoor place.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014