Rifle opinions

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by countrylivin, Oct 2, 2012.

1. countrylivin

countrylivin New Member

I'm thinking about buying a new rifle for target shooting and coyote hunting. I was wanting something that would be accurate at 600 yards or more. I was thinking a .308. I was wandering what everyone would suggest for the rifle, optic, and caliber. Would also be nice to see everyone's setups and what kind of success they had with theirs.

2. cottontop

cottontop Guest

A .308 in a good bolt action w/ a fairly heavy barrel and the highest quality scope you can afford will work for you. There are many other cartridges that will work. Just take your pick, but stay away from the likes of the .30-30 and lever guns for the kind of shooting you want to do.
    cottontop

3. countrylivin

countrylivin New Member

Yea that's what I was thinking. I'm just not sure what brand/model I should go with.

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Countrylivin,

If you want a good precision rifle for the money I think of two off hand that are excellent for what you described.
    Over the years at the LE Sniper Schools the following two commerical built rifles stood out!
    You need to check them out!

1. The Savage 110 Tactical Rifle in 308 Cal. (Great Rifle for the Money) Very Accurate and Reliable!
    2. The Remington 700 PSS Rifle (Which is one of the prefered production rifle of Law Enforcement SWAT Sniper Teams in 308 Cal.
    Both are heavy contour barrels and of good quality as well as durability.

5. countrylivin

countrylivin New Member

Yea I like the Remington 700 pss I've herd a lot of good things about it. What would your ideal optic choice be. I'm not a expert on those. I just know I want something long range, mill dots of some kind, illuminated reticle, and just a good clear image with good eye relief. Not sure about how to pick a specific one out.

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

While a 308 is a little overkill for yotes,it'll damn sure do the job.I prefer to use a 223 or 25/06 for yote killing.They'll both hit targets at 600 easily with practice,and the right bullet for the 223.

Some other suggested calibers would be the 243-260 Remington-6.5 Creedmoor-and 7mm-08.All of these are based off a 308 cartridge,and all will shoot 600 yards better than a 308.Factory ammo is also readily available for all of them,if you don't reload your own.

You might also think about getting an AR-15 in 223 or an AR-10 in any of the other calibers listed above.They come in real handy for multiple yotes or quick follow up shots if you happen to miss on your first shot.

Here's a few pics of my yote rifles-

Savage 12FLV 223 with a Boyd's LH thumbhole stock that I modified to fit the heavy barrel/1-9 twist,with a 6-24x50 Weaver Classic Extreme scope in Burris Signature Zee rings on a Ken Ferrell base.Rifle also has a SSS competition trigger installed in it-set at 2 lbs.
    [​IMG]

Rock River Arms 20" Varminter 223 it also has a 6-24x50 Weaver Classic Extreme scope on it.The photo is old and shows a different scope.
    [​IMG]

Savage 110FLCP 25/06 in a Choate tactical stock with a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LRMD scope in Burris Signature Zee rings and a Ken Ferrell base.Along with it's 308 twin a 10FCP with a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 MOA-2 scope,same rings and base.
    [​IMG]

I just put a 7mm-08 together,and have a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel to build another rifle,or just swap out the barrels with one of my current rifles.
    That's one of the reasons that I like Savage rifles,they're like adult lego kits,if you want something different,just take it apart and change it into something else in a matter of minutes.
    Remington,Howa,Tikka,and CZ also make some great varmint style rifles.

When it comes to optics,Buy the best that you can afford.It's always best to get what you want the first time,even if it takes a little longer to save for it.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Springfield M1A maybe?

8. Babyfacenelson

Babyfacenelson New Member

For coyote nothin smaller than a 338 lapua is gonna cut it!
    I would play it safe by going 50bmg.
    Have you ever seen those demons up close!!!
    My dad hit one with a truck and the thing got up and started attacking th truck! You need a 50bmg or those thing will eat your face.
    I guess if you ANSOLUTLY HAD TO any of the suggestions above would work.
    Thank you for letting me waste your time with humor :D

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Just to make sure...

This is a coyote
    [​IMG]

This is a rhinoceros...
    [​IMG]

;)

10. Babyfacenelson

I always get those confused :confused:

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

M1A is a great rifle but not a great yote gun. Without investing another grand or more they are kind if temperamental for retaining zero and accuracy as well as fit stable mounting if good optics.

A good bolt gun in a flat shooting caliber is probably more stable. ARs are great out to 300 yds. I don't think I'd be taking too many shots beyond that range at yotes since they are kind of small.

12. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

The Winchester Model 70 has been pressed into military service numerous times. Howa manufactures rifles for Weatherby. Weatherby rifles are known the world over for their dependability and accuracy. Howa rifles are less expensive and they come with a houge stock right out of the box.

Honestly most mainstream manufactured rifles are capable of the accuracy you desire. You need to make some decisions on your own. The market is full of rifles that meet your needs. Don't marry any rifle you buy. Take your time and give the rifle every opportunity. But when it's time to cut it loose don't be afraid to do so.

You also need to learn to reload. Handloading will provide you with ammo that meets your needs perfectly.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That's like saying "I'm thinking of getting a new girlfriend, one that likes NASCAR and bowling."

Everyone has a different opinion on what they would look for.

14. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

The Redfield Widefield Accu Trac Illuminator 3x9 as used by Marine Corps snipers in Viet Nam would certainly do the job. This one's mounted on a JP Sauer Mod90 Stutzen Mannlicher Carbine 30-06.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. medieval77

medieval77 New Member

A good bolt action 7mm mag with the right scope would do the job for you. I have a ruger m77 7mm mag that i use for long distances.. but i need aa better scope..

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Any quality rifle with a top end scope on it.

If you want to shoot coyotes at 600 yards, you should look at paying as much for the scope as you do for the rifle.

Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX series are the lowest you should go.

For that kind of range, I would get a .25-06, .264 or 7MM magnum, and a 6.5-20X 50 target scope

17. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

You may want to also look at the TC Icon Precision Hunter.

18. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I don't really understand why the OP needs to shoot 600 yards to kill a coyote. I kill most of my coyotes with a Hi Point 9mm carbine with the stock peep sight. Coyotes being out of range is never the issue. They run to frikin fast.

19. Babyfacenelson

We don't need to understand the op's reasons for shootin 'yotes at 600.
    The fact is he wants a good rifle that can do that if he wants to.
    A 600+ yard gun in 223/25-06/7mm and such does just as well for 100 yard shots. He asked for recomendations, not more questions.

20. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have a question for you, a .223 at 600+ yards, seriously! As stated, Yotes can run. One issue the OP will run into as coyotes move almost constantly with a scope for 600 yard shots is finding them w/ a 6-24xXX at close range. When you jump a coyote it is usually less then 50 yards in this area. There are a few places that you can set up for 200 yard shots and call them in, but they usually sneak up close before you ever see them. A high powered scope is a detriment in that situation. W/ a 3-12 power the FOV is 48+ feet at 12 at 600 yards. That little 3-4ft long SOB is hard to find w/ that much FOV. How in the hell are you going to find one w/ a 24 power and 24' FOV when it's moving. I think Old Crow was being realistic, not a stick in the mud. If you're searching w/ your uber scope at 600 yards, a yote may sneak in, steal your lunch, hump your a$$, and be gone and you'd never see it w/ that scope. Keep it simple stupid, ever heard of it??

I'd love to use my Highpoint carbine, a great idea. Too bad they are 10 round mags, a no no.