Rifle noob here

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by muscledom, Dec 27, 2012.

1. muscledom

muscledom New Member

Hey guys I just bought a century arms AK47. I know nothing about firearms outside of call of duty lol. From what I've read on google searches, they're ok but certainly not the best. I'm not really an avid gun enthusiast, more of a car guy. For now anyway haha. I basically bought it for fear of a ban due to recent events. I plan on running it this weekend. So far I think I need some new mags, anything after 20 rounds it doesn't want to feed. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Take your mags apart and clean them thoroughly and lube with powdered graphite, EEzox or some other dry lubricant and try them again.

New mags are hard to find and super expensive right now. Fix the ones you have if possible.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome here from Oregon.

I know very little about the AK platform, but we have some experts here who can help you out. Locutus has already given you some good advice.

4. muscledom

muscledom New Member

10 4 will do. Thanks man

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

personally i never use graphite in firearms. i dont even like it in the house. when graphite hits aluminum, or aloominium if your your british, it can easily eat the crap out of it. graphite is easy to migrate from one gun to another. not something i want anywhere near guns that could have aluminium. lots of modern guns even ak may use aluminum for some parts as manufacture shortcuts.

clean your mags they shouldnt need anything but a very very light oil on the inside.

6. muscledom

muscledom New Member

Cool. It looks like this one is all stamped steel. I just cleaned the rifle with the CLP spray the guy sold me. Wiped down the outside and sprayed a liberal amount inside. Gonna take apart the mags and clean em. Looks fairly straight forward.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

And I never allow oil near my magazines!