Rifle Kits

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by cgersty, Aug 20, 2011.

1. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I am interested in buying a black powder rifle kit, I looked at the ones at cabelas, and weren't real impressed, and people say that none of the holes line up and there is a lot of work that needs to be done in order to put them together, I am looking for a good quality kit that I can spend some nights putting it together, let me know your experiences or recommendations as to which kit is the best way to go.

Gersty

2. culdee

culdee New Member

I dealt with Track for years. Good people and quality parts

3. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Howdy folks, new to the forum, just found it. Been using BP since 1978 and can't seem to get the smell out of my nose. Every time I hear someone talking about kit guns I think of something an old timer told me about them many years ago. He said "there's a whole bunch more folks that can take $100 worth of gun parts and make a $50 gun then the other way around". Just something fun to share.

4. Mecanik

Mecanik New Member

Kit guns

Having built a few "kit guns" I can safely say it's not something you should take lightly. Unless you have considerable skills in the field of metal working and the wood trade you probably should not do a kit. Unless of course your hell bent on creating something on your own and the outcome doesn't really matter. Because your first kit will be worth less as a finished rifle then the parts were worth when you started. If your still wanting to build one first go down and look at a factory finished one and ask yourself, can I do better then that. IF the answer is yes then go for it. Otherwise buy the factory one and have fun shooting it.

5. centerfireman

centerfireman New Member

I did a lot of research into kits several years ago and found that Jim Chambers had the highest quality kits (mainly 18th and 19th century flintlocks). The Track-of-the-Wolf kits look to be excellent also. It took me about 100 hours to complete a long rifle from a Chamber's kit (it was my first and I went slowly); I am sure it isn't as perfect as a master gunmaker could produce but it is beautiful, accurate and reliable and the satisfaction of having produced it yourself is hard to put a price-tag on.