rifle issues

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by clax, May 12, 2011.

1. clax

clax New Member

I found a remington 700 30.06 with a scope for 250 bucks at a gunshow. I may be a terrable shot I may lack the skill to shoot well. But my groupings are about 4 inches at 100 yards, this is terrable even for a beginner to my understanding. I don't get the practiice I would like and after ten rounds I am not even on the paper any more, could there be something wrong with the rifle or is it more likely the shooter, I am a beginner.

2. towboater

towboater Active Member

Probably a scope problem.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Four inches at 100 yards is pretty decent shooting for a person who doesn't shoot regularly. Don't beat yourself up or get frustrated. It just takes practice. Four inches at 100 yards will put venison on the table.

BTW, after a number of shots, the barrel heats up and accuracy can be degraded. It could also be that you are flinching in anticipation of the recoil.

4. CA357

We have a New Member Introduction forum. Head over there and introduce yourself to the folks when you get a chance. There's some good people here.

5. clax

clax New Member

I never thought about the scope, I used a bsa bore sighter and followed the instructions. I have practiced trigger pull and dry fire plenty. When I first got the rifle I gave myself a black eye peeping to deep into the scope and had to get a limbsaver to manage on my local ranges bench rest. I am a big guy and I have to crouch way down to be able to shoot saftly at thair range and it beat up my coller bone infact bruised it so that is why I bought the limb saver. I am a shotgun guy and I had to learn that shooting a rifle is extreemly diffefent it may be that my shotgun habits are interfearing.

But 4 inches at 100 yards is decent for a beginner? What would make my pattern wonder as I shoot?

6. hbomb

hbomb New Member

could be wondering from your barrel heating up. also, if youre having to crunch up to shoot, youre not going to be as stable or accurate as you would if you were able to get comfortable. also, make sure your breathing is in check. remember the fundamentals: steady position, regulate breathing, proper sight picture, and trigger squeeze. try to send it downrange the same way every time. what glass do you have on it? might look at that too.

7. clax

clax New Member

Okay now I am going to reveal how little I know. What do you mean by glass

8. CA357

Glass = Scope ;)

9. clax

clax New Member

It is a bsa that was mounted on the rifle so poorly when I bought it I had to start over with mountings and rings. The muzzel end of the scope is about 1.75 inch diamiter so the rings when I bought the rifle were so short the muzzel end of the scope was touching the barrel I think the guy that sold the rifle just slapped a scope on it because there were still iron sights on it

10. hbomb

hbomb New Member

If the previous owner screwed up the mounting, theres a fairly good chance he messed up the scope. when you mount a scope put the rings in the middle of the main tubes if at all possible. if you put them too close to the turrets(adjustment knobs) or the bells(where the scope tapers towards the lenses) you stand the chance of messing up the internals, namely the reticle and inner glass. try shooting a little closer, on a rock solid rest and see if it still jumps around on you. also, does your point of impact change session to session?

11. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Don't forget that after 10 or so rounds of a large caliber rifle, you will usually have anywhere from minor to major copper fouling in your rifle. The copper fouling combined with a heated barrel and beginner shooting can VERY easily throw you off target. And don't throw out the messed up mounting idea, it's very possible.

12. clax

clax New Member

The scope. Seems to be okay but I am not sure about the internals. Would I be better off learning on the open sights?

13. CA357

It's just my opinion, but I think it's best to learn on open sights before going to a scope.

14. clax

clax New Member

Just curious I have heard this before why in your opinion is it better to learn on open sights and dose that include appature sights

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Clax,

Just as a hunch I think your have several things regarding your problem.

1. Some of the BSA Scopes still have some parallax causing the shots to string. This is because when you look through the scope at slightly different position. The Reticle seems to move so you are not actualy looking at the reticle in the same place as before. So there is probably one problem. A good scope is virtually and should be parallax free.
    2. The scope touching the barrel creates a barrel harmonics problem.
    Obviously the rings are too low since we do not know about the barrel
    mounts.
    3. With shotgun shooting you sort of slap the trigger when on target. With rifle shooting that is a no no! It must be smooth and straight back. With a slight increase in pressure while pulling the trigger. You will need to develop this technique. The more you practice the quicker you will become.
    4. If it has been hurting your shoulder we might presume that you have developed a slight flinch. Get on the bench and have a buddy load the chamber or not load the chamber and hand the rifle back to you without you seeing if he did or did not. Then take a controlled shot from a supported or bench position. If you have a flinch you will find it immediately. You will also notice a great improvement in your group if you stop moving when the shot gets ready to go. *Anticipation! Also do not forget to stop breathing during the shot. You can read about natural pause. Some take a breath in and let 1/2 out and hold while they take the shot. I let everything out. I know I have so many seconds (6) before my brain starts telling my body I am out of breath and the body starts reacting. You will just have to practice what works best for you in that area. That is another area that is different from shotgun shooting. Just get you a good scope and mounts and practice practice practice! You no doubt have the ability being a shotgun shooter.
    If you need additional advise contact the guys and gals here on the FTF. They as well as I are more than glad to walk you through getting everything squared away so you can get the max out of the old rifle!!!
    As stated

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If you were closer, I'd show you why. Get good at 100, 150 yards w/ open sights. Use objects like clay pigeons on the berm or soda cans. You will learn control. The size of a group means nothing unless you hit your target. I see guys all the time brag about groups, but are 4" high and 2" right w/ a varmint rig, They missed vermin, wonder why?

17. clax

clax New Member

Thanks sniper good info. I did put new higher scope mounts on it got the scope off of the barrel but I shot the gun before I knew any better. I practice the trigger squeeze at home by laser bore sighter and have got most of the jiggle out of it.