rifle into a shotgun

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by 00possum, Sep 4, 2011.

1. 00possum

00possum New Member

i want to change a cricket rifle into a 20g or a 410 anyway i can do this?:confused:

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

No
    Action to small

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Isn't that a .22? I would think that there would be some saftey issues with doing this. You can get a shotgun on gunbroker pretty cheap.

Maybe one of the other members will know more about this than I do.

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

If it was a bigger caliber they make self defense rounds that shoot shot but it messes the rifling up.

5. 00possum

00possum New Member

no what i meant was could i change out the barrel and maybe mess with the tock would it work?:)

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The cricket rifle is a .22 LR. The action is not safe with a .410, much less a 20ga. The receiver diameter is too small to accept a barrel large enough to handle either shotgun round. The bolt throw is too short to cycle the MUCH longer rounds. So NO you cannot make such a conversion.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Besides the strength of the lockup of the bolt, and the receiver being too small to accept a .410 barrel, and the rimfire firing pin being in the wrong place to fire a center fire shell, the action is not long enough for a 2.5 inch shotshell (vs a 1 inch 22 cartridge) AND you need a minimum 18 inch bbl on a shotgun (legalities).

There are companies that make a single shot youth combo, 22 and 410. What you are looking to do is not feasible

Unclebear- shot rounds do not hurt rifling. Howver, the spin imparted by a rifled firearm does produce a doughnut shaped shot pattern.

However,

8. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

You've been watching to much of that Red Jacket tv crap.

9. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

If you just have to have a .410 (or 12, 16, or 20 ga) bolt action shotgun,
    there are plenty of them out there. Mossberg, Marlin, Stevens and
    probably others made them by the thousands.

Sounds like a small shotgun is what you are wanting---if you cut one down
    keep the barrel over 18" and the overall length over 26" to stay legal.

10. 00possum

00possum New Member

thanks, and that red jacket stuff might be crap but its freakin cool crap.

11. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Its entertaining, mostly kill time, you can get a really cheap shot gun from gun shops, pawn shops...etc. single barrel break actions are usually the cheapest, and with enough time you can do a lot of different things withem.

12. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Keep your eyes out for a nef topper jr. shot gun, they can be had in my area for under 100 bucks used in decent shape, I have one that is inherited and even though its a youth model 20 ga and im 6' 2 it my favorite go to gun for squirrel, and even for doves. IF YOU LIKE YOUR FACE DO NOT TRY IT WITH YOUR CRICKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gersty

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

red jacket is one of the most worthless shows on tv! the show encourages too many idiots with no common sense into thinking they can build guns. this show needs to be relegated to the cancelled list and quickly. people need to see what is truly involved in building a quality firearm and not stupid crap. i bet this guys lawyer cringes everytime an episode is aired! people wanting to build guns need the real truth, the legalities, saftey and responsibility in building firearms and this not what these "so-called reality shows" air in their episodes. a show about real gunsmiths working would probably be boring and tedious, show wouldn't even last a month!

14. ahole

ahole New Member

yes to small.

15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Kids. [​IMG]

16. moonpie

moonpie New Member

some of it is pretty cool but they're running out of ideas.

17. KABAR2

KABAR2 New Member

Redjacket is one of the reasons I got rid of cable.....

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it's like all the other reality shows, purely entertainment, nothing more! most of the guns on their show are guns only someone with a class III license could own. if they made a real show about real gunsmiths, it would probably be so boring, no one would watch, then it would get cancelled.