Firearms Talk banner

Rifle I.D.

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  canyoncoyote 
#1 · (Edited)
Don't know if this is the right place for this post, BUT:

Hi,

I have received a rifle that no one so far has been able to identify. It has a 23” barrel, with a front sight that has a gold bead on it, as well as the word
“Marble” on the right side of the sight. The number 41 is on the top of the breech. There are two eagles, very small, heads turned left and holding a globe in their claws. One is on the front left of the breech, the other on the left side of the barrel just ahead of the breech. There is the number 1 on the right side of the breech, with what looks like a shield with a sword in it to the right of that, stamped very small so it’s hard to make out. It has Weaver scope mounts, and a 12x Leupold scope. The butt plate is Pachmyer. The serial number is 6450. It also has, on the safety lever on the bolt as well as the left side of the breech, what appears to be a dash pointed up at about 45degrees to right of vertical, intersecting the top of a slightly longer vertical line, with a character that looks sort of like a u or a v, but starting from the left it makes a short curve to the right and down then curves sharply up and right. It appears to be about a 7mm. Does anyone know anything about this rifle? P.S. Sorry about the image quality, we don't have a great camera handy.

Thanks,

canyoncoyote:confused

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How about going over to the introductions thread and telling us a little bit about yourself. Also, without pictures, I doubt that anyone will really be able to help you.

#3 ·
You have a Mauser 98. Need photos of markings on the rifle to be able to give you more info. Most important photo would be of any crest or markings under the front scope mount base and other markings on either side of the reciever......

Jim............

#4 ·
You have a Mauser 98. Need photos of markings on the rifle to be able to give you more info. Most important photo would be of any crest or markings under the front scope mount base and other markings on either side of the reciever......

Jim............
+1 on that and if it is 7 mm it is probably 7X 57
F.K.

#5 ·
Lacks the third "safety" lug. Looks like a small ring Mauser action. Typical of the Spanish/South American Mausers. The "safety" on the left side of the receiver has me confused, though. Could it be the bolt release? Is it a rectangular piece hinged at the rear? If so, it is the bolt release. You open it to allow the bolt to come completely out of the receiver. Is it perhaps a magazine cut off? That device would stop the rounds from coming up out of the magazine so the gun can be loaded singly with the 5 in the mag for back up. I do not recall any Mausers that had that feature, so I am at a loss.

More pics from different angles would help.

#7 ·
#8 ·
More pics

Hi all,

First, let me say thank you for the response. I kind of expected to wait for a couple of weeks, if there was even an answer at all, so it was a pleasant suprise to see answers so quickly. Thank you.

Now. This picture has close ups of the marks and their locations on the rifle. I did not include a pic of the number 41, on the top of the breech. Hope this is helpful for the I.D.

Thanks again,

coyote.

Attachments

#12 ·
8mm possible?

We have chambered an 8mm in the rifle, seems to fit well. 7mm mag, no way, won't fit at all. 7mm, fit is very loose. Sorry for the novice questions, I AM a novice, however this episode has awakened a new found interest in guns. It's been a lot of fun, and I have learned a great deal, compared to what I knew before. Thanks all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.