Firearms Talk banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Ya I know......I thought it was a little odd in it. It had a steel sleev guide that fit in the cylinder so the 22lr did wiggle around much. If its different cylinder now that is a big improvement....w lr the one I was messin w id rather chunk rocks at a target.
HUH? how did that work? if it had a sleeve in the cylinder, how did you change to different shells? seems much easier to make two different cylinders.

·
Banned
11,006 Posts
HUH? how did that work? if it had a sleeve in the cylinder, how did you change to different shells? seems much easier to make two different cylinders.
The sleeves had a little knurled knob that twisted on em you held onto to pit em in then pull em out. Last I knew Calc had throwing the sleeves in the scrap metal bin. Heck the little sucker shot 30 gr hornady vmax 22 mags 1.25" at 100 yards. Seemed pretty good for what it is.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Sort of off topic but since there have been chamber sleeve discussed a little here, have any of you ever heard of using a fired 22 mag brass as a sleeve for a 22lr? A guy was telling me about it the other day, he isn't a big gun guy so I don't know if his info can be trusted but he said his uncle will fire a 22mag then cut the bottom off the casing leaving a brass cylinder with no rim, then slide the 22lr right into the cut 22 mag shell, insert it in the gun and shoot. Ever hear of such a thing?

·
Banned
11,006 Posts
It will work in theory out of a revolver like the single six but its a one time per brass id say. Iv heard of bein done but never seen it done....there's quite abit of size difference in the two in diameter. Id think the 22 lr would swell to match the magnum case....maybe even make the magnum case expand too

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
Sort of off topic but since there have been chamber sleeve discussed a little here, have any of you ever heard of using a fired 22 mag brass as a sleeve for a 22lr? A guy was telling me about it the other day, he isn't a big gun guy so I don't know if his info can be trusted but he said his uncle will fire a 22mag then cut the bottom off the casing leaving a brass cylinder with no rim, then slide the 22lr right into the cut 22 mag shell, insert it in the gun and shoot. Ever hear of such a thing?
Well I heard of a guy who put a 20 gauge shell in his 12 gauge, it didn't fire, so he jacked another round in and blew his damned gun up.

You cannot shoot ammunition out of a gun that is not made for it. Even the .22LR versus the .22WMR, the chambers are different. You must change cylinders to safely shoot it. No gun manufacturer ever made a single cylinder with little knurled sleeves that you place into each chamber of a revolver- that is just ridiculous as the difference between the two is a mere .002", which means that the sleeve would have to have about a .001" wall thickness (I did not get out my calipers and measure, these dimensions are off the top of my head). A .22 LR will not fit inside a .22 magnum shell case either, the main dimensional difference is that the .22 WMR is longer by about a quarter inch. The WMR has a .224 bullet diameter and the LR has a .222 bullet diameter (which is why WMR will be inherently more accurate in a convertible gun- it has better engagement with the rifling).

Rossi made a prototype with little sleeve thingies? Bullspit.

·
Banned
11,006 Posts
Well I heard of a guy who put a 20 gauge shell in his 12 gauge, it didn't fire, so he jacked another round in and blew his damned gun up.

You cannot shoot ammunition out of a gun that is not made for it. Even the .22LR versus the .22WMR, the chambers are different. You must change cylinders to safely shoot it. No gun manufacturer ever made a single cylinder with little knurled sleeves that you place into each chamber of a revolver- that is just ridiculous as the difference between the two is a mere .002", which means that the sleeve would have to have about a .001" wall thickness (I did not get out my calipers and measure, these dimensions are off the top of my head). A .22 LR will not fit inside a .22 magnum shell case either, the main dimensional difference is that the .22 WMR is longer by about a quarter inch. The WMR has a .224 bullet diameter and the LR has a .222 bullet diameter (which is why WMR will be inherently more accurate in a convertible gun- it has better engagement with the rifling).

They aren't singled you dimwit. It looks like a damn speed loader for a wheel gun...the twist lock just comes off so you can close the cylinder on it.

·
Banned
0 Posts
They aren't singled you dimwit. It looks like a damn speed loader for a wheel gun...the twist lock just comes off so you can close the cylinder on it.
that just doesn't sound possible. i'd like to see some pictures or a link to that. sounds way more complicated to make than just making a dedicated cylinder like they have always done.

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
That wouldn't work either. The difference in diameter too small. The bullets themselves are only .002" difference. The wall thickness on these little tube thingies you are dreaming of would have to be paper thin. Less actually, because paper is about .003" thick, which in a cylinder would add up to .006" total difference.

Dimwit.

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
That wouldn't work either. The difference in diameter too small. The bullets themselves are only .002" difference. The wall thickness on these little tube thingies you are dreaming of would have to be paper thin. Less actually, because paper is about .003" thick, which in a cylinder would add up to .006" total difference.

Dimwit.
In other words, if the .22 WMR and the .22 LR had that great of a difference in their diameters they would be completely different calibers.

Dimwit.

·
Banned
0 Posts

Dimwit.
i also think at that thickness if possible they would be too flimsy to last very long from removing spent shells. it still seems like the only way for them to do it is with seperate cylinders. just seems like a much more complicated way of doing something that could be much easier with having a seperate cylinder. too much engineering IMO.

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
i also think at that thickness if possible they would be too flimsy to last very long from removing spent shells. it still seems like the only way for them to do it is with seperate cylinders. just seems like a much more complicated way of doing something that could be much easier with having a seperate cylinder. too much engineering IMO.
I can see the engineers talking this one over.

Engineer #1 "OK, so we get these little tiny cigarette paper liners made out of steel to put in the chambers and..."

Engineers #2-5 "Shut the Fu*k up, dimwit!"

·
Banned
0 Posts
I can see the engineers talking this one over.

Engineer #1 "OK, so we get these little tiny cigarette paper liners made out of steel to put in the chambers and..."

Engineers #2-5 "Shut the Fu*k up, dimwit!"
stupid engineers! making things more difficult than they need to be!:eek:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

I know the chambers are different and what I am talking about has nothing to do with the 12/20 burst of a shotgun. I was referencing a guy who I talked to a couple days ago who told me of shooting a 22lr through a mag rifle using a spent mag brass as a chamber bushing. I don't know if it would work and have never tried it and probably never will, just wondered if anyone had heard of that before. I don't know if the lr would fit in a fired mag or not, the mag brass supposedly directs the lr bullet into the rifling, notice I said "supposedly".

They do sell chamber bushings to shoot 22lr in a 22mag, so it isn't impossible I just don't know that it would work with a spent brass bushing.

http://mcace.com/adapters.htm This is one place that has the 22lr to mag adapter.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts