Rifle for youth to start with?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by GeneJr, Jan 18, 2012.

1. GeneJr

GeneJr New Member

I'm wondering what would be a good ruffled for my about to be 6yo daughter to start with. Just got her a daisy bb gun so she can practice safety and holding up the weight. She's already a crack shot at a can bout 10 15 yards away.

2. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Rossi make a good youth combo set that come in 22lr 20ga and 243 and it great for little kids

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

My son is a big 6 year old, I've checked him out on a rossi and NEF youth rifles, both are still too big for him. If setting up on a bench, it can be done, with a lot of help from dad. I want my kid to be able handle it completely by himself.

I think I'm going to get my kid a cricket, I've been threatening to for quite a while now.

4. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

My friends 5yr old shoots a cricket with shorts when we go out and out shoots his dad sometimes just don't tell him I said that.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

5. fmj

fmj Active Member

That Rossi stuff is CHEAPly made + the 20 guage put a hurting on me and damn near turned my boy off from shooting...In my defense i told him numerous times he didnt want to shoot it, but he insisted, lesson LEARNED!

GET THE CRICKETT!!! its what i started my youngest on (hes 12 almost 13 now) and hes pretty good with a gun these days

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bet you knew THIS was coming didnt ya trip??

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Heck, I was wondering what was taking you so long. I love seeing kids with guns (within reason and safety of course) :)

7. fmj

fmj Active Member

Yeah, i get a bigger kick outta starting noobs (kids or otherwise) more than my own shooting anymore...maybe because i'm not near as good as i once was... (thanks to age and fried eyes)But i can still from time to time shut my pupils up when they get too big for their britches.;)

8. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol I can see a 20ga in a youth gun would put a beating on u but I was meaning it in 22. And as she grows she can switch the barrels

9. fmj

fmj Active Member

:D i figured :D

Just not a fan of that Rossi combo rig....my buddy has one and after test driving it, well, lets just say I wouldnt put the money into it.

10. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Lol I heard good about them and I held one at walmart it felt good but now im started to look at h&r handi rifles and im likeing them more

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Start them off w/a .22 rifle. Chipmunk type is a good base line. If they tyke is too small for that, thry something like a 10-22 and have the stock cut way back. Replacement stocks are easily obtained so you can replace it with a longer one as he/she grows up.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Like we all keep telling people that are looking at getting their wives and girlfriends a carry gun, take the future shooter with you to try them on for size.

As I said, my boy is pretty big for six (not a giant, but bigger than average), so I would have to doubt without seeing your girl that she is bigger than him. The Rossi youth, and NEF youth rifles were way to big. They are sized more for a kid around 12 years old or so.

13. GeneJr

GeneJr New Member

I appreciate all the advice guys. I'm going to look into every thing all of you had said and keep coming back to this post to see if any1 else has any thing further to say. I know with good advice and common sence ill get the little 1 shooting like a pro in no time.

14. undumb

undumb New Member

I bought a .22 auto from a pawn shop ($75) and cut off 5" of the stock with a hacksaw, worked perfect for a small 8 yr old. He still uses it 16 years later, it's a good plinker.

15. dmp

dmp New Member

When my daughter was 10 I got her set up on the AR; my then-8-year-old Son wasn't comfortable. He (although now nearly 10) loves the M&P 15-22 I picked up for the kids over Xmas.

16. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

I suggest keeping with the BB Gun for at least another year or two.

17. MrWray

MrWray New Member

As far as her having her "own" rifle,i would keep her on the BB gun for a few more years. My son is 8 and even though i have let him shoot a few of my guns and explained firearms safety,i still dont think he is ready to be turned loose with even a BB gun yet.

18. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i would say stay with bb, pellat guns for a few more years, then move into .22lr. and then i would say go with a bolt. no need for a young one to have a semi auto. they will take more time with getting the fundamentals down with a bolt than a semi. kids with semi's tend to blast away. and then you spend more time reloading magazines than shooting. also. if theres a problem, malfunction its often easier to fix/ correct

19. BCMjUnKiE

BCMjUnKiE New Member

I started out with a Daisy BB gun, then a Pellet rifle, then at the age of 4 my Dad handed me a 20 gauge single shot shotgun. Needless to say it put me on my back and that was when I had respect for recoil. My Dad taught me everything from fishing to hunting. He still goes hunting like he did when I was young. He was hunting before I was born and was an excellent teacher on the fundamentals of firearm safety and usage.

20. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012