Rifle for shtf

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TooStrongTerry, Nov 29, 2012.

1. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

Whats up guys...soooo ive started lookin into bolt action rifles. And for a prepping point of view im starting to think one would be great for a shtf situation. I love the fact that it is one moving part. Easyto disassemble and clean. Im a lefty fyi. And i used to have a savage mk2 and i sold it (regret it now) but ican work the actionrelatively quickly. Im thinking of picking oe up. Not the rimfire for shtf just forpractice purposes. If i went the bolt way what are the cons and pros. What caliber should i get? And what rigle? Im thinkin rugers american rifle orremington 700 series. If mossberg made the MVP left handed id grab one of those for this specific purpose. Thanks guys.

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Choose your caliber next TST. You're right not to squak "polly wanna .22 LR for survival." Centerfire I'd say .223 unless you hunt big game, otherwise .308. There's really nothing much as adviseable in between though I wish there were. Yeah, all the whackos will come out of the woodwork now and recommend novelties like 7x30 Waters, 6.5 Swede, etc. Ignore them. I still think .22 Mag , with basically the same features and benefits of a .22 LR to some extent but twice as powerful, makes a decent emergency round and happen to be reliable in bolt and pump rifles...

Good luck.

3. TooStrongTerry

Yeah i remember u have talked about 22mag...think its an ok defensive round? Like maybe get one of those in replaceof a 22lr? Ammo is more expensive but still light enough to carry a surplus...

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

A novelty like 6.5x55, interesting statement. It's only been around since 1894. It was favored in olympic Biathlon till 1975 when the standard became .22lr. Served both the Swedish and Norwegian armies. Is effective on even large game such as Elephant, read up on Bell. It is not what I would want for elephant, or ever grizzly, but it is a great round. Now for SHTF, the rifle must be accurate enough, the .22mag is at up to 200 yards for minute of man, the downfall is most are mag fed and extra mags would be hard to find, easy to loose, only hold 5, some 7 rounds. I would grab an old Mauser in 6.5x55 or 8x57. No mag to loose, very devastating rounds. I'd personally grab my Wasr2 in 5.45x39 for protection. 16 mags loaded, 480 rounds. To survive a SHTF situation rate of fire can quickly change things in your favor. Violence of action.

5. TooStrongTerry

Well why im lookin for a bolt is because semi autos can malfunction at the worst time and not becauseof the shooter. Do you know what i mean? Yeah in a bolt and i can short stroke the action but with a semi if i dont keep it oiled or if theres a change in temp or what not it can jam,stovepipe, etc...

6. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I agree that bolt actions are most dependable and require the least amount of maintenance. I have many, but this is one of my favorites due to it's caliber and my being partial to the mannlicher compactness. My .22 mag's a tack driver, but only good for small game and easily capable of 200+ yard shots.
    Steyr Mannlicher ModM carbine 7x57
    [​IMG]
    Anschutz Mod1518 .22mag
    [​IMG]

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

AR-15. All you'll need for SHTF. Reliable, accurate, parts available everywhere and cheap ammo. what else do ya need?

8. TooStrongTerry

Theres so many damn calibers. Shotgun is my number one. Idk what next. Figure i can only carry two maybe three long guns. And stick with those.

9. Garadex

Garadex New Member

For a bolt action .22 Mag I would recommend the Savage 93. http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/93GL I have a 93 F and can attest to it's accuracy. I can't shoot very well but it hits exactly where the cross hair is pointing

10. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

Oh boy....

SHTF - got to have a plan. Weapon wise, this plan will not be just ONE weapon or should I say type of weapon.

A .22RF rifle is a given.
    Something with enough ump to take larger game (if any can be found). What type of weapon and what caliber, what a mess to work out.
    Do you feel that personal protection will come into play? A new mess to work out.
    I'm not a shotgun person, so I will not comment.

My view:
    .22RF - A Ruger 10/22 or similar, I don't care.
    An AR/M16/M4 type in .223/5.56, number must be determined by the group and perceived need.
    A bolt action (major make) in .223/5.56.
    A bolt action (major make) in 308/7.62.
    A .45 ACP (could be .40 S&W, but all should be the same caliber) pistol for each person in the group.

Why .223/5.56 and 308/7.62 you say. Does the job, availability and that's what the government uses, think potential source. But you like the AK. What ya going to do after you have shot up all of your ammo? Simple if you live in the old USSR. Not so much if you live in America.

This is a very personnel matter to contemplate. Think about your needs and views.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

The 6.5 Swede was invented a long time ago. So was diarhea. One can't be serious, or taken seriously, to recommend such an obsolete round as our friend is looking for.

No, I would not replace a .22 LR w/a .22 Magnum UNLESS it were the only gun I had. And if the features and benefits of a .22 rimfire are going to make it your "survival rifle" then I couldn't urge you strongly enough to replace the Long Rifle cartridge with the Magnum. But this was a side suggestion in case you really weren't requiring a centerfire. Better than a good, stout, sharp stick is a .22 LR. A .22 Mag is twice as good as that! The best you'll do in a rimfire. About as powerful as a .38 at point blank range. But I would not compare it power-wise to a centerfire cartridge which is something else altogether...

I get back to the .223 if you don't hunt big game. Will it do what you want, accurately, be available, affordable, etc.? Pick your caliber, THEN concentrate on the gun. Usually how it's done. But OK.

Bolt's are simple and reliable. In fact I sold a friend my shortened Ruger .223 All-Weather bolt like an idiot, but this non-hunter couldn't deal with the .30-30 lever of mine he just had to have before that. Ruger still makes a stainless synthetic bolt in .223 but they are a little pricey. Well, modern semi's ARE reliable too, and fun, and offer their own features and benefits (albeit less simple).

So, what'll it be? .223 or .308? Next...

Bolt or gas?

Savage making their Scout Rifle in .223 these days? Might be the way to go...

12. TooStrongTerry

Alright. Hmm... Well 22lr is a given.

I just wanna get my set firearms down. Besides...make the argument even more practical for me...i cant afford much more than $500 for any gun. Another reason for bolt.

Ithink .223 will be my route. Thanks guys.

Now...rifle...

Hocka how much is "pricey" for that allweather you were talkin about?

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

$638 to $725 in my area, and this isn't exactly the original All Weather, but, didn't u say u were left handed? 5+1 capacity isn't too bad...
    http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAllWeather/models.html

For what u wanna spend and if left handed your choices might be limited. Still, there're some good, inexpensive, bolt guns out there today. Someone'll let you know. Then there's always this when you're rich and famous and go .308...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  14. TooStrongTerry

That is beautiful lmao. I like the sights on that. With some see thru rings thatd be great.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i will add my two cents into this. from what i gather, you seem to be short a rifle or two and looking for a couple? well either a 22lr or a 22 Mag for sure. as said i happen to agree with either a 223, or a 308, or possibly even a 30-06 bolt action rifle for a center fire. all three of these are fairly common in regards to ammo choices and availability. (at this time!)

as i am way too old to be trekking across the country and don't plan on bugging out, but much more likely to hunker down. i already have a vast assortment of different rifles in various calibers, i see no reason for me to go out and buy something new, unless i just happen to get an itch for one. many of us already have several rifles, and some in less than popular calibers. so many of us will just make do with what we have. i will. many of us reload and would plan on bugging in rather than bugging out, so as long as we have bullets, powders and primers, we have ammo. i am much more prepared for bugging in and in that i am not locked into having to choose between one or two to carry with me and their ammo.

16. TooStrongTerry

Yeah unfortunately my house is not one to castle in. Hopefully in a few years we will be gone lol but yes short a few rifles lol long story short i had to get rid of a few firearms i had.

17. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

So, good question: can anyone recommend a left-handed bolt that's rugged, maybe indestructible/who-cares stainless steel and synthetic stocked, but relatively inexpensive with iron sights that's drilled and tapped and has a box mag? Hey Savage, ya listening!?

18. eltoro

eltoro New Member

Yep AR and learn to use the rifle, and learn the rifle well "Using it, and assembly" The ones who just buy the rifle will have no clue about their AR will end up dead and when SHTF they will be laying dead with a AR you can grab for parts for your AR if needed ;) And maybe even get better parts or optics also FREE ;)

Like the movie Zombieland when they find the hummer with all the guns perfect example of well prepared but no idea what to do with the tools for safety. Anyone can purchase a tool but learning to use the tool is the next step after the purchase. We are all lucky to have great boards like this to expand our learning further about our tools.

19. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Now let me think. What will I be when the SHTF comes? I don't think I will be a cowboy. I don't want to be an infantryman or a commando guy. I don't want to be a zombie hunter. I know; I'll be a sniper. I'm going to move onto a roof top someplace with my outdated 6.5x55 Swedish custom Mauser, my outdated 7x57 Ruger single shot, my outdated .225 Winchester custom Ruger single shot, and my more modern Marlin .25-06. I'm going to stock pile a whole bunch of powder, primers, brass and bullets and spend several hours every night reloading ammo until I have bucket fulls of the stuff. Then, when I see a zombie or a suspicious looking citizen while perched on the roof top, I will take him out with one shot and no one will know where it came from. Does anyone know when the SHTF is going to come? I can't wait. We get to camp out and everything.
    cottontop

20. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

cottontop,

I like your way of thinking.
    That won't work for me. Any shot/s as in you description, would draw attention to that lone house on the hill side. Have to kill'em all.
    The good and the bad is that I will have to be quick when disposing of the bodies, but I will get to add to my supplies, well not much with the zombie option.

:D