Rifle break in

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Madderdaddy, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

i got a new marlin 336SS 30/30 and was wondering if there is any type of barrell brekin procedure i should follow to ensure accuacy and quality.
    Thanks

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Shoot it then clean it. then do it again and again and again. Unless your lazy like me and only clean when you really have to.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Factory Barrel I assume? Not a full blown custom?

General rule of thumb for Factory stick is to shoot 3 to 5 rounds, run a bore brush and patch, shoot 3 to 5 more, run a bore brush and patch and do that for the first 20 rounds or so. After that, shoot 10 rounds and repeat the cleaning up until you hit about 40 or 50 rounds.

Then shoot and clean as one range session.

If you are trying different rounds to see what the rifle likes to shoot the best, I would recommend cleaning after each type/grain/maker is used and you are switching it up.

JD

4. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

Yes, all stock.
    Thanks guys, plan on doing the breakin soon

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

For a rifle I do the following
    Clean the bore.
    Fire one shot and then clean with a good copper cleaner until the patches come out clean
    repeat for 5 shots. (5shots total)
    Fire 2 shots and clean, repeat 3 times (6 shots total)
    fire 3 shots and clean, repeat 3 times(9 shots total)
    Fire 5 shots and clean and thats it.
    25 rounds and an hour or so at the range.

Barrel break in is the cause of much argument.
    Feel free to vary this routine, the first 5 shots seem like they remove the most roughness from the bore and seem the most important.
    I started doing this routine a couple years ago and it really seems to smooth out the bore. Copper fouling doesnt build up as fast.
    Stays accurate longer between cleanings.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I usually clean between every round for the 1st 10 rounds. Then I shoot 2-3 shots between cleaning for the next 20 rounds. It's then broke in properly according to my method. I'm impressed-most people who buy a new rifle don't bother breaking it in (especially a 30-30).

7. Bolosniper

Bolosniper New Member

We have bought Lilja, Broughton, McGowan, Krieger, Classic, and Lawton rifle barrels when Barney Lawton was alive. All are high quality and hand lapped, and most are stainless steel. I only have stainless steel on my personal rifles due to their increased corrosion resistance.

A 5 round (absolute minimum) to 20 round lead angle and throat break in is all we recommend. Spotlessly clean between each round as you are only getting a lapping effect with a copper and carbon free barrel bore. It is now ready to go.

8. stalkingbear

Most barrels made by top notch barrel makers are lapped and stress relieved as they come from the maker. Factory barrels are (usually) a lot rougher, and require more break in.

9. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

Why is that??

10. stalkingbear

It seems they either don't think it'll make a difference and/or don't realize the benefits of properly breaking in a barrel.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends ont he weapon. some weapons dont matter since practical accuracy 100-200 yard range is hardly an issue. competition weapons and long range weapons its a whole different matter. my 458Lott and 458 winmag are good to 400 yards with certain loads but they are hunting arms and generally shortrange so break in period doesnt really matter same for my ruger sr556 and colt sp1 no point to break in with those. my remington 700 which is my competition gun i broke it in cleaning after every 5 rounds or so for the first 50.

it really depends on the gun and what your going to use it for whether or not you care to bother with breaking it in.

12. SirGeorgeKillian

SirGeorgeKillian New Member

Yeah, take it out and shoot it. Dont worry about running a patch down the bore after every time you touch it or any of that mumbo jumbo. I've broken in many rifles and none of that stuff helps anything. You could say that it helps if you are grouping several types of ammo and wanted to have a more controlled test, but more fluctuation will come from barrel heat than the residue from 10 rounds on the bore of your barrel.

13. stalkingbear

The whole purpose of breaking in a barrel is to burmish the bore and remove the microscopic burrs in the rifling that rips tiny amounts of bullet jacket. You're not trying to remove powder residue but copper from the bullet jackets. Breaking in factory barrels is a proven way to get less fouling over the course of shooting. As a side benefit it sometimes produces better accuracy. With aftermarket barrels of top quality this is usually not needed because they hand lap the barrels when making them. Hand lapping is also an excellent way of accomplishing the same thing.

14. SirGeorgeKillian

I feel the need to politely disagree. To remove the microscopic burs that you are talking about, it takes hundreds of rounds to achieve. This is unlikely to be achieved in a single range visit that most people "break in" their rifle with. I see more barrels wore out due to cleaning rods than from actual bullets. This includes barrels cleaned using "proper" techniques. Cleaning after a few rounds will not help your break in any barrel.

This is only if the bore of said barrel was cut with dull tooling. There is a chance that you can get a barrel that was cut with dull tooling in a mass produced rifle, but once again, it will take more rounds than you will fire while "breaking in" a bore to correct this problem.

15. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

The barrel on my rem7600 35 whelen was the roughest Ive broke in so far. There was a spot in the barrel that you could feel the patch catch on.
    It would take me 15-20 patches after each shot to remove the copper fouling.
    I gradually felt the rough spot smooth up and now cleaning even after +20 shots reveals very little copper fouling.
    It will hold .75 MOA at 100yds (not bad for a pump rifle and a 7x scope) for a long time between cleanings.
    Even though I have to clean it from the muzzle due to the design (I use a muzzle guide)I dont think I have ruined my rifle through cleaning.:rolleyes:
    I think it is now better off due to the little bit of attention I paid it when new.----.02

16. stalkingbear

Do you own a borescope? Have you borescoped barrels before and after? In my 28 years of gumsmithing and competition shooting I have-a LOT. I.ve seen remarkable differences from hand lapping or breaking in the barrel..

17. Mud4Brains

Mud4Brains New Member

What does this "Hand Lapping" process consist of?

Your post kind of makes it sound like hand lapping and breaking in are relatively close in terms of results when trying to get a smooth bore.

Sorry if that's a dumb question...I'm pretty much a Newb when it comes to getting this granular with accuracy of rifles.

18. Wambli

Wambli Member

It's a hunting gun not a target gun. Sight it in, go hunt with it and clean it at the end of the season. Repeat next year...

I have seen barrels in old military rifles that were so rough they looked like they were cleand with sandpaper and they shoot great groups. Will they foul easier, sure they will. Does it really matter in a gun that gets shot a few boxes of ammo in the course of a year. No...

19. Wambli

Wambli Member

With all due respect to your years of experience, would you ever bother to borescope a 30-30 lever action? Would any kind of break in process make a significant difference in a gun like that.

The guy didn't buy a 22-250 to shoot hundreds of rounds over a Pdog town at distances of many hundreds of yards. He's got a short range deer gun.

20. SirGeorgeKillian

I was of the same opinion as yourself, along with my trusted gunsmith. In the early 2000's I read an article by Gale McMillan (R.I.P.) which explained the origins of this break in method. I shared the article with my smith who was as dumbfounded as myself. We spent some time looking at bores of new and old. We found that most "gains" from breaking in a bore were about as beneficial as a sugar pill "placebo" is to cure cancer. Thats my experience with the deal, if breaking in a new barrel works for you and makes you feel warm and fuzzy, then by all means do it, I havent on any rifles I own and I have no problems keeping them sub MOA for as far as I can stretch their legs.