Rifle brand...in .300 Win Mag

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by lonyaeger, Feb 2, 2010.

1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I've decided to go with .300 Win Mag as my caliber of choice.

Now, can anyone recommend what brand has the best quality for the fairest price?

2. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I would personally reccomend checking out a Browning or a Winchester.
    I have been very happy with my Browning and Winchester rifles.

What made you decide on the 300 WIN MAG?

I would also try checking out the 300 WSM, it has better ballistics and the rounds and the guns cost right about the same. just my .02

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Winchesters cost $1000+ that is stupid. FN is making them and trying to get a premium for them.

Me right now. I would look at GULP HOWA, Savage and Remington (MAYBE).

We all know JD loves him some Jap rifles. Thats all fine and dandy. Their econ is not hurting as bad as our. So I say look at a Savage.

Look at the Savage 114 if you want a nice looking wood stocked version. If you want a go anywhere do anything leave it in the rain kind of gun then take a look at the Savage 116 FHSS.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Howa Rifles

Now lets talk optics. I am saying Nikon right now. Lon You know I like nikon scopes. Just what power are you wanting. If you are wanting to shoot out to 600 then I am going to say 4-16 or that 5-20 like you just got for the AR. Either should work real good. Give you a nice low power to get a shot off and plenty of power up high for them longer shots.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

To be honest, I'm thinking about moving the Nikon back and forth between the AR and the new rifle, provided I have the right mount. Can I get Picatinny installed on the .300?

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Based on suggestions from forum members and from gun shop guys today.

Am I wrong in thinking that 300 WIN MAG would be more readily available than 300 WSM?

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I will be giving strong consideration to the 300 WSM, too, thanks for that.

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Tango,Where are you getting your Winchester prices from? The only one near a grand is the Super Grade Model 70.

Lonyaeger,you can't go wrong with the 300 WM. But they do have a bit of recoil,so the heavier the rifle the better. If you plan on toting it around in the field hunting think about the better of the two evils,weight vs recoil.

My Savage 110FLP Tactical weighs about 14lbs with ammo,scope and I can shoot it all day long with near zero recoil. My Ruger #1 weighs about half that and without the muzzle brake on,it will kick the crap out of your shoulder every shot.With the muzzle brake it shoots great,without much recoil.

Just Wait for Tango to chime in about Muzzle brakes!!!He hates them.

Remington,Savage,Browning,Winchester,Tikka,Ruger,or Howa would be guns to check out. Find one that fits you the best and you will have less a recoil issue,as long as it isn't a lite weight rifle.

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Not knocking the WSM,but the ballistics aren't any better than the 300WM,but the ammo and brass to reload the WSM will sure put a dent in your wallet over the 300WM.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Checked HOWA, doesn't seem that they make a 300 WIN MAG. But I looked at Cabela's at a Savage All Weather in 300 WSM....and like it a LOT!

10. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I couldnt honestly tell you for sure if there is more availability of the 300 WIN MAG or the 300 WSM.
    I havent had a problem finding the 300 wsm.

11. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Ballistics Data:

MV V @ 200 yards ME E @ 200 yards
    .300 WSM (180 Sp) 2970 2549 3526 2598
    .300 Win. Mag. (180 Sp) 2960 2540 3501 2578

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The WM has been around for quite a while. It is available at many country mom and pop stores. The WSM's and WSSM as well as the SAUM's from Big Green are much more of a specialty item. Components for the WM are readily and (relatively) inexpensive.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

14. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

I see both all the time at walmart and bass pro in the area. Depends on the shops you have around you that sell ammo.

15. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I'm a HUGE Browning A-bolt/X-bolt fan so naturally I'm going to recommend a Browning. They have a bunch of features that I like in design as well as good quality and fine accuracy.

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I've owned a few Brownings and currently have one that's been in the family for years. Great quality rifles.

17. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Alot of the old duffers will tell ya the short actions aint worth a spit.

I like the Remington Sendero 300WM stainless fluten myself.

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have a couple of .300WinMag's. Husqvarna Mauser and a Win S/S Classic controlled round feed. Great round. Recoil is stout, but manageable. It is considered a "light caliber" in Africa.

The WSM's have suffered from faster throat erosion than the standard WinMag. But the stubby little actions are stiff, and they cycle smoothly. WSM has a shorter throw, too. The WM ammo is easier to find in most stores.

A-Bolt? A+.
    Howa? A+
    Savage? A++ (And easiest to re-barrel)

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

My assumption is that either of these calibers, 300 WIN MAG or 300 WSM, would be good for feral hogs. Fair assumption?

20. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Absolutely. Maybe a bit overkill on average hogs, but not if the hogs run 300lbs+.