Rifle barrel and part.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by drocks101, Dec 25, 2011.

1. drocks101

drocks101 New Member

I am new to this forum, so I hope I am posting this in the right spot. I was wondering if there was a solution or some method to put on all of the steal parts to make them not rust. I was going to reblue my gun, but when I got all of the metal polished I noticed that it looks better just polished. So I am wondering if there is a way to keep it in the polished state and add something to the metal so it wont rust. Thanks

2. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I keep a rag doused in rem oil hanging on the handle of the gun safe. Nothing go back into the safe without being rubbed down and handled by the stock of forend to place back into the safe. Over 20 guns and nothing newer than 1954 has so much as a little pit.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

While it may look better now polished,unless you take extra caution to keep it lubricated and wiped off,it's going to rust.
    I'd go ahead and get it reblued.Keeping a polished bolt up is fairly easy,but an entire gun will be tough to keep it nice and shiny.Just the oil,acid from your fingers will begin to rust in a very short time.

4. drocks101

drocks101 New Member

I agree. It does look nice polished, but I agree with you that will take a lot of time and maintenance to keep it from rusting. I am just going to reblue the gun.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Bluing etches the surface of the steel allowing oil to stay in place. Polished steel will not hold oil and will rust.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member