Rifle action question

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bigdaddy573, Mar 31, 2013.

1. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I have a savage 110 30-06 and I'm wanting to break it down build it in to a target rifle in to 6.5-284,260 Remington or 243 win but my problem is the rounds I want are short action and my action is long action? So want I'm asking is will they still work right or will it jam up?

2. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I think you would have to have a custom bolt made along with a new barrel. If itwereme I would sell and buy a gun you are looking for or at least the caliber you are looking at. But thats just me.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

As long as you get a Short action follower/spring for the magazine and get or make a spacer to set behind it in the long action mag well,it will work fine.
    That how all Savages were done before 1998 anyway,they were all long action receivers back then.

Look on Numrich Gun Parts site,and maybe you can find the entire set-up.

Better yet,Why not just build a 6.5/06. You can neck down 30/06 brass,but I'd suggest necking up 25/06 brass. It's easier to neck size up,than it is to neck down.You don't have to turn the necks on the brass,and rarely every get the dreaded shoulder donut when you size up the necks on brass.
    Barrels and Dies are available from just about any manufactuer of them.

I make all of my 260 Remington brass from 243 Winchester brass,but I could use 7mm-08 or 308 brass for it also.Then I'd need to turn the necks down to keep from having thickness problems with the necks.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  4. Txhillbilly

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the 260 and the 243 would be short action calibers, but the 6.5-284 would be just a little shorter than a 30-06.

the 6.5-06 would be a good choice as long as a person reloads, as there isn't any factory loaded ammo for that cartridge.

6. Txhillbilly

I might be jumping the gun. Ha Ha!
    But,I always think that anyone wanting to build a "Target" rifle is a reloader. Shooting factory ammo only groups so-so out of 99% rifles,and I've never seen anyone that shoots good use factory ammo.

7. Axxe55

pun intended HB?:D

i suppose a person could shoot match grade ammo from a target rifle and i am sure some do. but i also feel that reloading and finding a load that is fine tuned to a particularr rifle is the way to go.

8. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Thanks tx I forgot about the 6.5-06 some how lol. And ya I reload but I got a couple questions about buying my barrel seem how im new to this part of the gun world. How do I go about ordering it do I need a smith to order it for me or do I have?

9. Axxe55

check out several of the barrel makers websites. they can walk you through the whole process. on a Savage, you should only need a barrel nut wrench and a set of no-go and go gauges in the cartridge you want to rebarrel in. you can get both from either Brownell's or MidwayUSA.

the barrel can be sent directly to you or to your gunsmith if going that route.

Hillbilly works with the Savages quite a bit, but i have picked some of this from tinkering around with my Marlin X7's as they use the Savage type barrel and nut set-up.

10. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Ya I know I need the nut wrench, action wrench and barrel vise with the go no go gauges right?

11. Axxe55

oops.... forgot about the barrel vice! not for sure, but i don't think you need an action wrench for the Savages or the Marlins.

the go, no-go gauges are for setting the headspace of the cartridge to the bolt face.

12. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Alright thanks axxe one more question what's a good barrel brand to look at?

13. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Krieger is my all time favorite goto aftermarket barrel$

14. Axxe55

Shilen, Hart, Krieger, E.R. Shaw, McGowan, Lilja, Pac-Nor are some that are available. also check out whats available in MidwayUSA and Brownells.

15. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

. Im goin to check in to them thanks

16. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I looked on midway they didn't really have any in stock beside E.R. shaw 243 I think and it's hard to look on brownells because I don't have a computer :(.

17. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

18. Axxe55

Steel Talon suggested Krieger and they are a barrel maker with an excellent reputation. any of those i suggested have stellar reputations and are used by many custom rifle builders for their barrels.

give me some more details as to what you want and i'll see if i can help you out.

19. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Here's one of my MSR build with a Krieger

[​IMG]

With my hand loads.. 5 @ 100 69gr Match Kings fueled with Win 748

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  20. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Alright thanks axxe so far I'm thinking about Krieger I heard alot of good about them. I'm worried about the price tho lol seems how I'm wanting it to be a heavy barrel?