Rifle 22 worth it or not?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by warhawk77, May 28, 2011.

1. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

Hi I am thinking of home security or just fun toy.

I am planning on selling my 30-30 and picking up a 22 rifle to replace it. I don't know a lot about guns so kinda starting from scratch. I have been hunting and know how to clean/maintain a gun just not up on all the diff names and types.

The 22 should be cheap to target shoot and the ammo will work in my pistol. But not a huge stopping power I know but think hollow points would help(but still a 22)

But I don't want a normal rifle I am looking at one of the following

Gsg Gerg2210ak47 Ak47 Carbine
    Gsg Gerg522sdb22 Gsg522-sd S-auto
    S&W M&P15-22 PC 22LR 18" FHB 10RD

The reason for those is they just look cool. With the price of a real AK47 I might be able to get all three of the above.

Thanks

2. rab

rab New Member

Keep both!

My first reaction is keep both! A 30-30 will get the job done. You also have a wide selection of ammo that can be tailored to your application.
    However, never underestimate the power of the 22 rimfire. It's as old a guns, and is proboblly the most popular carthridge in the world. You won't get knock-down power.
    The DC Museum shooting is a prime example. Nut enters the museum with a 22 rifle, shoots and kills one guard. Several other guards respond with multiple shots, hitting the nut several times with their 9mm. The nut lives!
    The splatter from a 22, hitting a car door, nearly killed Pres. Reagen.
    I still get supprised when I see a 22 out-penetrate 45 and 40 jhp's when fired into wet or dry phone-books.....

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Scenario: Original Poster in a pen with a 125# wild hog and OP has a choice of 2 firearms. One is a 30-30, the other is a .22.
    Most would choose the 30-30 as a defense weapon.

Now, put OP with a 200# drugged up person in the same pen with the intent to kill the OP. What weapon would he choose?

4. rab

rab New Member

Choice

In that case, yes most definately. But when time came for slaughtering hogs, bigdaddy chose either the backside of an axe, or a 22 right between the eyes. They rolled over just as nice.....;)

5. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

Keep the 30/30 & buy a 10/22

I'd keep the 30/30 and buy a Ruger 10/22. There are plenty of after market stocks and accessories out there to turn it into a "cool looking" piece. I've got a Choate fixed stock with a pistol grip and extended magazine release lever on mine and mounted a picatinny rail on it (I have a Millett 3 MOA red dot sight mounted on it). It's stock otherwise. I painted it and the 25 round magazines woodland camouflage. I've got a fixed 4x32 scope I put on it if I want to, both stay on zero, or close enough to it to make head shots on squirrels at 25 yards (might be able to at 50, but have never had to try).

I don't use it for home defense, but certainly would if it was all I had.

6. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I have a glock and a 12ga so home defense this would not be the first choice.

Looking at prices I can get a normal looking rifle for less money but I don't mind paying a bit more for the coolness factor.

I bought the 30/30 8-10 years ago and I have shoot it 30-40 times and that was right after I got it. Got it to go deer hunting but turns out I don't like doing that. So I don't see a reason keep it.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

In that case, you're pretty well equipped otherwise for defense. Go ahead and sell the 30-30. There's not much sense in keeping a firearm you don't use.

I have the S&W 15-22. It is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I can't say enough good things about it.

8. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I know I misspoke on the first post. I don't really need it for home defense (unless the zombie horde arrives)

That S&W 15-22 does look good, but the Mossberg is nice looking. I am going to see if the LGS has them in stock so I can get hands on.

9. bullethole

bullethole New Member

10-22's are junk, if your looking for a good 22 rifle go with a marlin lever action that shoots short,lr,and long(mag) shells. You will love the reliability,accuracy,and longevity. As far as home security and self defense matters then I would choose a good pistol like 9mm .40 .44 .45 etc . I have a smith and wesson 9mm model 5906 so accurate that i can shoot plink the bottom of a beer can 45 yards away. Is that much? Im still testing the capability of myself and the firearm. Good Luck!

10. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

The .30-30 was THE ORIGINAL HOME DEFENSE ROUND!!!
    You want a bad guy DRT, it'll do it...in spades. Worked quite well on the indigenous Amerind Tribes, as we Creeks can well attest ;)

If you want a .22lr for plinking, there is NO Better Deal than the Marlin 795.
    $129 regular price, $99 on sale all over the USA. Marlin also gives a $25 rebate coupon on their website.

Plenty of accessories...just look at mine, and I'm not even finished with it yet...
    [​IMG]

Ramline folding stock, Razor Sling, Marlin Adjustable Target Rear Sight, DIP adjustable target 3/8" trigger & trigger guard...
    I've just not decided on the Red Dot scope I'll end up using...

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

You need to clarify that 10/22s are junk IN YOUR OPINION. And how much is your opinion worth? How much 1sthand experience do you ACTUALLY have with them or are you going by others' opinions? 10/22s are NOT junk. They are well made reliable mass produced .22 rifles. They are usually not known for gilt edged accuracy out of box however.

12. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I'll also state that if you're planning on using .22lr as a Home Defense Round...
    you better be able to throw a LOT of them very quickly...

This is why I have several Calico pistols & rifles...and this sits in my nightstand.
    [​IMG]

100-rounds of Stingers pretty much will kill any 10+ gang members that are dumb enough to enter my home unlawfully.
    Imagine, if you will, 100 rounds of Stingers being bumpfired down a hallway...need I say more??
    And that's just the FIRST mag of 100...if needed, there are four more mags...
    and a Calico 9mm Liberty III pistol with 100-round mags is on my retired-Marine wifey's side.
    Do ya think that anyone trying us will have a VERY bad night??

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I smile every time I see that.

14. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

That is pretty nice. I would like to see the finished product.
    I am thinking about doing just that with my Marlin

15. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe New Member

Look at WASR 22 / AKT-98 / RPK 22 (Romanian Rimfire .22lr AKMs);)

16. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McAeQiLmEYU]YouTube - ‪Lex Luthor in "Superman Returns" - Wrong‬‏[/ame]

17. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have Ruger Charger and Ruger SR-22 and junk they are not. You can go to the range on any given day and a majority of folks are shooting 10/22 model Rugers, they are very reliable and dependable!

18. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

A $200 Ruger 10/22 with a $20 Butler Creek 25rd mag will do whatever all the "replica" tactical 22's will...plus it's supported by a ton of aftermarket options that can be taken in almost any direction. Just something to keep in mind. I also really like the Henry lever actions.

But in the direction you're looking, I've heard generally positive reviews about these:

Sig 522 (based on Sig 556 platform)
    GSG-5 (MP5 clones) that come w/ 110rd drum
    S&W M&P (AR15 clones)

19. Hawg

Hawg New Member

No a 10/22 isn't junk. It's well made and reliable. The mags are a pita to load and accuracy sucks unless you spend a butt load of money on it. A Marlin model 60 will shoot circles around a 10/22 for a lot less money. Yes I do have a 10/22.

20. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe New Member

Gat a Tactical 22 ,they are the wave of the future ...