Riddle me this.....

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AgentTikki, May 14, 2012.

1. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Ok well not really a riddle. A buddy or mine are arguing over whether or not an ar15 will cycle firing blanks. I'm arguing that since there is no bullet in the bore, the gas will just go straight out the bore bypassing the gas port and no cycling the gun at all. He thinks that the gas will pass into the port as it expands out to the crown.

Soimeone settle this for us.....anyone firing blanks? :rolleyes:

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

yes, lots of them. and yes the bolt does cycle as long as you have a BFA. if it didnt it wouldnt be very life like practice would it?.. played with them several times in the military.. note however, more jamms happenend from blanks than any other ammo.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've shot USMC issue blanks out of an AR, no, they won't cycle without a BFA, neither will any other firearm that I know of.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

When I was in the army it would not work without a blank adapter on the end of the barrel.

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Ya, I've heard that they are dirty, and like to gumm up your reciever. I guess the BFA would create a some backpressure to cycle the bolt. Thx for the info.

I win......or does he? damn, mebbe a draw..... who is more right? You can shoot blanks but you need an adaptor.......

meh I'm glad I didn't bet anything. I mean I knew that during training leo use blanks, but didn't know about the adapter....so I wasn't sure how they did it. I'm just glad we didn't bet anything....

thx guys!

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yep, a BFA is a must or it won't work. The ones they use in the movies have one built into the barrel.

Hint, for any current service members: stick a cigarette butt or old ear plug inside the comp before screwing the BFA down. Makes a better gas seal, and won't jam.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

you lso need a birdcage flashhider or an a2 flash hider for a blankadaptor to work. when you hear of people talking about m16failures to cycle in the military its mainly cuz of blanks. those thing are terrible to run through a gun. they clog gasports gastubes and even cause ak47's to stop in their tracks.

note: putting a bfa on your gun is a horrible thing to do to the crown.

do yourself a favor and stay far far far away from blanks

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I have 2 30rnd mags full of them. That's where they are staying. Lol

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As said- since the AR15 and M16 are GAS OPERATED rifles- lacking a bullet, there must be a means of restricting the flow of gas to make the action cycle semi or full auto. Purpose of THESE things-

m16 bfa.jpg

In the movies. the barrel is replaced with one with an internally restricted bore that will not shoot ball ammo.

Without a BFA (Blank firing attachment) you have a manually operated repeater. It also serves to limit the gasses that exit the muzzle for safety. Without a BFA, a blank at zero range can be deadly. There are also BFAs for the M60, M14, M1 Garand, etc.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

one other thing. never point and fire a gun with blanks with or without a bfa at another person. thats how bruce lee's kid died. leave that to the idiots in helliwood

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have a bunch of blanks for my AR, and like whats already been said, the bolt will not cycle without a "bfa"
    I dont have a bfa so i have to manually charge the rifle every shot

12. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Just hold your finger over the opening of the barrel. It'll save you a couple bucks.

:D

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

What about simunition...any of you LEO/Military guys ever get to "play around" with that?

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Some of my engineer buddies did. You can basically make it yourself with a primed case and some paraffin wax

15. MrWray

MrWray New Member

When i was on SRT with the prison we did some tac training with the Tulsa SWAT at their training facility "Cobra House". We were doing building entries and the instructer would play the bad guy, and he was using a .38 with simunition. It stings pretty good

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

I actually had a scar from one for a while. It caught me at just the right angle to leave a cool half moon scar. Yeah, they're way worse than paintballs.

17. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

It almost made me pee my pants.

There I was... We were doing urban training w/ simunitions on a nice crisp Drum morning. I hate gloves therefore I had non on. We were moving up a stairwell when we took fire. I took a round to the exposed/ frozen pinky on my trigger hand. I seriously wanted to pee my pants.

One guy was shot in the eye while wipeing the moisture off the inside of his mask. He went on restriction and rode out the better part of a year and a half in the S-Shop pushing paper.

It was fun as hell though and would like to do it again.

18. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Does it cycle normally that way?

19. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Ha...yeah, I'll bet it does!