Ricochets

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by triggernomic, Dec 26, 2011.

1. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

I am very skeptical of ricochets. Unless a bullet hits a perfectly curved object at the correct angle, I doubt it's going to change directions. I would think that a bullet is going to keep traveling in the same direction until it grinds to a halt. Perhaps it might even keep grinding along the surface of an object due to its inertia vs its inability to penetrate, but I don't think it's possible for a bullet to hit something and literally deflect in a reverse direction at terminal velocity. I've even heard the same from former Navy SEAL friends of the family. Does anyone have any definitive proof of a deflecting ricochet, or lack thereof?

I also believe that a lot of the incidents labeled "ricochet" accidents were probably exaggerated. Perhaps the bullet itself exploded on impact and shrapnel flew off. Or maybe someone accidentally just shot someone plain and simple and blamed it on a ricochet to get out of trouble. What do you think?

Thanks

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Standby for a youtube video, soon as I can get the computer away from my wife.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Here you go. Still skeptical? I've also seen my squad leader catch a 5.56 ricochet in the bicep while serving as a coach on a zero range. He was prone right next to the shooter he was working with, me. Unfortunately I don't have a video of that one, but fortunately it was a very superficial injury, the bullet was plucked out with a pair of tweezers, he got one stitch to hold it closed, and went on about his business.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJx_-caUZBA]Guy hit in head with .50 caliber ricochet - YouTube[/ame]

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vQHuv7bXu8]Machine Gun Tracer Fire - YouTube[/ame]

No, it is not hitting a curved surface. It is hitting a hard surface at an angle- you get a hell of a ricochet with angle of 45 degrees or less. You can get ricochets off of water as well.

To get one coming right back atcha, it has to bounce more than once. Yes. it happens.

And some of us were taught to USE ricochets to bounce rounds beyond a barrier.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have ben hit by rounds striking a steel target and bouncing back. 13 times it has happened to me. 12 times body armor stopped the bullet. One hit my left bicep and just broke the skin. I also had a .380 bullet bounce back off a steel fence post and wizz by my head. I sold that little gun as it was TOO accurate.

6. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

Very interesting. Once when shooting my M98 mauser I noticed some of the foilage to my far left / rear being disturbed. I always wondered if it was a ricochet. Perhaps it was. Just doesn't seem possible for something moving that fast to completely reverse direction.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Generally speaking the force involved in stopping the bullet against a hard object will also shatter the bullet. The stuff that returns to the shooter's area would more appropriately be called splash back. Very low velocity bullets may stay intact during the stop/reverse direction cycle. A very rigid steel target is likely to cause the bullet to fragment. A slightly wobbly steel target allows the bullet to flatten to some degree, yet stay intact and bounce back.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My buddy hasnt been hit that many times but has taken 2 ricochets one from a .38 and one from a .357 one in the arm and one about 2" from his nuts, shooting steel plate targets and also shooting 1/2" bullet proof material during a test with the .357 , Neither of which broke the skin but left a couple nice bruises

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  9. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Had a richochet land in my buddy's truck, 30 cal steelcore, shooter 20 feet to our right was shooting his mosin at rocks. He may still have the bullet layin' around.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

I found out the hard way one should never shoot old tires with a firearm. My best friend and i were shooting an old tire behind my house around 1988 with my colt sp1 a round bounced right back and hit the magazine in the rifle ruining it. Still got the rifle.

When clearing rooms you should never stay against a wall as bullets will travel about 1-2 feet out from the walls around a room. While your own fired rounds wont have enough energy to make it full circle a badguy's or one from your buddy's weapon will have just enough energy after one or two bounces to hurt you.

11. vincent

vincent New Member

It happens, I've wound up with small "splash back" holes in a cigarette I was smoking while watching another shooter, have had them hit off leg, face, we ALWAYS wear the eyes at the range. I think I can count 4 times during all my shooting it's happened...

12. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

A friend and I were out plinking with .22s, I shot the brass coupling on an old 1" water hose and the round bounced back and hit me in the forehead. Luckily it didn't break the skin but that was the last time I took a shot at that.

13. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

.22 snakeshot is very deflective, but that's no surprise, being so small and low-velocity. It seems that almost all of it bounces back and if you're close enough at least a few of those little pellets are gonna hit you in the face. Stings.

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

The smaller the projectile with a high energy level against the hardest surfaces means very little ricochet risk,a larger heavier projectile with a low energy level against a softer hard material(ie:a tree)means a high ricochet risk.Why?Lots of energy on a small projectile will destroy the projectile so there's nothing to deflect,as where low energy on a big projectile means theres alot of mass still intact to deflect.

15. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Trust me, ricochet is real, easily happens, and hurts like hell. I was out shooting an old bb gun several years ago and one of the bbs hit a rock and came back at me and hit me in the neck. Needless to say, I was rolling around on the ground soon after with a large, bloody welt on the side my neck. If it had been an actual rifle, I may not be here today. Moral of the story, know what you're shooting at and make sure you hit it.

16. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

Trust me, ricochet is real and common!

When I first put up my "bullet trap" ( made from old conveyor belting ) I had the belting perpendicular to the line of fire. On days below about 40F the 22s would come straight back at you. After a NRA Range Development course I learned to angle the belting 15 degrees toward the center of the range and the ricochet will find its way behind adjoining belting and be collected with the rest of the lead.

I have removed all steel targets from my range and have been using ice targets to give the instant recognition of a hit.

17. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

My wife was shooting her Bersa Thunder in .380, and I was standing behind her, just off to her left. She was shooting at a piece of seasoned apple wood, and hit it dead center. A ricochet came straight back and hit me in the throat! The slug, deformed a little, now sits on my key-chain..

18. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

That is why we never shot BB's. They are steel and bounce like crazy.
    Much safer to use lead pellets. I try to steer people clear of using BB's.

19. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

I know from first hand exp that bb guns have a high rate of of ricochet. Thats why when we shoot we all wear safety glasses and make darn sure that what we shoot will be soft enough to penetrate with out defeleting the bb. With that being said we still have had a couple bounce back and we just try to be as safe as possible so it doesnt happen.

Thats all you can really do try and be safe look at what your shooting know what your shooting and whats behind your targets that will cut down on ricochets.

20. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Friend of mine was shooting bowling pins and took one in the arm. I've had .22 pieces hit me in the forehead, cheek, and arm. Not hard enough to do any damage, but enough to remind me why I wear glasses.